Tyre Nichols

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Perhaps a name that reminds officers that they’re actually members of the public that they are enforcing law “For” & not “Upon” would help?
It's always bad for your cops to think of themselves as 'military'. As the saying goes - The job of the police is to protect the people.
But the Police are members of the people and not a separate group ‘above’ the people that they’re enforcing the laws for & not upon.
THe job of the military is to destroy the enemies of the state. When the military becomes the police, the people tend to become the enemy of the state.
You’re right on the money here I believe!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Perhaps a name that reminds officers that they’re actually members of the public that they are enforcing law “For” & not “Upon” would help?

But the Police are members of the people and not a separate group ‘above’ the people that they’re enforcing the laws for & not upon.

You’re right on the money here I believe!!
It's why I wince when I hear people (especially cops) refer to non-cops as "civilians."

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
OK, this is not a complete solution, but can we get over the hard-man names for police task forces?

Maybe cops inclined to abuse people would be less likely to volunteer for the FUZZY BUNNY squad or the DOPEY PUPPY team or the FOOTY PAJAMA task force. . .
Oddly enough, you are probably right. Unless they are old enough to have watched bugs bunny. Then they are apt to be throwing anvils.

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Simplistic. It implies that a riot is planned, and that the participants all have the same goal and tactics.

Which is kinda the opposite of a riot.
I believe at least some of the people involved in the hockey riot in Vancouver went there with the sole purpose of creating a riot.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Yeah, the "Guardians not Warriors" movement is trying to turn back the trend.

I call it the "Andy and Barney" philosophy of policing.
Well the guy who invented the modern idea of policing, robert peel (which is why english cops are bobbies and peelers) laid out his fundamental rules for the idea of police and number one was "the police are teh people and the people are the police". They're supposed to be citizens who have the responsibility of doing what all citizens should really be doing if they had the time, not something completely seperate from the people.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I believe at least some of the people involved in the hockey riot in Vancouver went there with the sole purpose of creating a riot.
I ended up in midst of the 94 riot and yes people planned to riot and loot. We saw a young gal almost get decapitated looting the Sony Store when a massive smashed sheet of glass slid down the frame at the moment she stuck her head in to grab a Walkman CD player.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Five armed & armoured officers vs one unarmed guy who knows if he fights back he’s probably going to die…not sure I have the same sympathies.

Trying to be passive and cooperative means he might live through the encounter….not this time, but other times. It’s a tough call in a fight or flight situation.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Five armed & armoured officers vs one unarmed guy who knows if he fights back he’s probably going to die…not sure I have the same sympathies.

Trying to be passive and cooperative means he might live through the encounter….not this time, but other times. It’s a tough call in a fight or flight situation.
It would seem that flight tends to end in death a lot more frequently. He shoudn't have run the first time - you can only take your licks and then file a complaint and go after them after the fact. If they get worked up they can very easily beat you to death, as is the case here.

Fortunately these ones will all be going to jail, but that doesn't help the guy who died.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

I was wondering if there was a past history between them - the cops and the kid - or something like an old gang issue but from what I've read and heard, there is none.

Reactions: 55Mercury

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
interesting that the pole cam had better footage than the body cams. we need more pole cams with mics. 💡

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
interesting that the pole cam had better footage than the body cams. we need more pole cams with mics. 💡
At the end of the day you're always going to be able to manipulate body cams a bit - and they were yelling 'give me your hands!" after they already had them to create the audio impression they were hitting him to subdue him.
Body cams are great but they only do so much. Far better than nothing tho.