No to Black History

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
So DeSantis says No to AP African American classes in Florida.

So... he says it's because it breaks Florida law - but won't name that law - and that it has historically inaccurate information, yet one of the contributors is someone who is a lead scholar of African American history in the US. And before the fearmongering starts, it doesn't teach CRT, either, or rather, it doesn't teach the REAL CRT. What it DOES teach is African American history as it relates to the US and to a lot of people, that equals CRT.

As an aside, there are OTHER cultural AP classes that are available/taught in Florida. Just apparently African American is singled out for some reason...

I thought Republicans were all about keeping Government out of the lives of people and being 'small' and on and on?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Stolen from Africa taken to Asia , been happening since the dawn of time . Who do you think built the piramids ?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
.As an aside, there are OTHER cultural AP classes that are available/taught in Florida. Just apparently African American is singled out for some reason...
Because its fucking Marxist. Get that through your thick skull. Read up on Critical Race Theory: The Key Writings That Formed the Movement and its author Kimberle Crenshaw who is pushing the "fake" CRT as you call it. She openly admits its Marxist. To quote Crenshaw
"Critical race theory is an explicitly left-wing movement inspired by the thinking of an Italian neo-Marxist, Antonio Gramsci. Against classic Marxism, for which material conditions are primary, Gramsci (1891-1937) focused on “hegemony”—the system of beliefs that “reinforces existing social arrangements and convinces the dominated classes that the existing order is inevitable,” as Ms. Crenshaw puts it."
Questions?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
As an aside, there are OTHER cultural AP classes that are available/taught in Florida. Just apparently African American is singled out for some reason...
Not for some reason - for specific reasons given.

I thought Republicans were all about keeping Government out of the lives of people and being 'small' and on and on?
The schools are run by the gov't. Keeping lies and misinformation out of the gov't controlled school system is entirely in keeping with that philosophy. Keep it to just the facts and education, no indoctrination please.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How would you push Marxism on children without black history or hegemony?
I wouldn’t. Life is short. I’m busy, & couldn’t be bothered. I’m here for the debate & humour….got kids & grandkids of mixed racial interestigness and they all get treated, the same more or less based upon their individual personalities.

I just found out tonight. I’m going to vinyl shopping (records) with an eight-year-old tomorrow.

Reactions: Serryah and petros

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Records….the 8 yr old got a record player for Christmas….with a usb slot….but he likes records. Just heard Value Village got a donation of 2000 albums from an estate that are going on sale tomorrow for $1.99 each.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wouldn’t. Life is short. I’m busy, & couldn’t be bothered. I’m here for the debate & humour….got kids & grandkids of mixed racial interestigness and they all get treated, the same more or less based upon their individual personalities.

I just found out tonight. I’m going to vinyl shopping (records) with an eight-year-old tomorrow.
I'll reword that to "How can THEY push Marxism...".

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Records….the 8 yr old got a record player for Christmas….with a usb slot….but he likes records. Just heard Value Village got a donation of 2000 albums from an estate that are going on sale tomorrow for $1.99 each.
Show hi how to play Inthegodavida on 78 .

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Morgan did have a point, tbh.

But the reality is, the world ISN'T like that, and it's not so easy to just "stop". I mean I feel the same way about the whole GLBTQIA labels. It SHOULDN'T be a thing, but the reality is, it 'has' to be, because lack of acceptance, lack of understanding and compassion, and just outright hate and vitriol. Interesting to his question of "Is there a white history month" my first reaction was not an absolute dedicated month, but white history is taught over the course of all the months so... there is in a way?

But this situation about the AP class just proves the need FOR a Black History Month; because Black history isn't taught in schools.

Counter your Morgan with a Tom :p

Black history may be American history, but you could say the same for Chinese, for Latino, for others, yet their histories are taught in schools... so... again, why the unfairness to Black people?

Reactions: Ron in Regina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
it 'has' to be, because lack of acceptance, lack of understanding and compassion, and just outright hate and vitriol
Hogwash. That might have been true once upon a time but today? Nonsense. Sure some people will hate on gays - but some people will hate on virtually any group you name. Look at your OWN constant hatred, lack of understanding zero compassion and vitriol against anyone on the right. But by and large gays are very accepted and there are many laws in place and these days I face more hatred as a straight white conservative male than you do as a gay female left winger.

The only reason it HAS to be is because people like you demand that it is to justify your actions. It doesn't 'have' to be at all other than you want it to be.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Black history may be American history, but you could say the same for Chinese, for Latino, for others, yet their histories are taught in schools... so... again, why the unfairness to Black people?
What Chinese, Latino or other histories get taught in schools and what Black history doesn't?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
What Chinese, Latino or other histories get taught in schools and what Black history doesn't?

Go down to World language and cultures.

There's no AP African American.

AP courses vary from school to school, but DeSantis is denying it in ANY Florida school.

"Lisa Hill, the history department chair at Hamden Hall Country Day School in Connecticut and one of the teachers piloting the new course, said she was "baffled" by the DeSantis administration's criticism.

"I must tell you, for sure, we don't have a political agenda," Hill told CNN when reached by phone Thursday. "It is not a course of indoctrination. My philosophy of education is you learn and discuss and debate so you get a better understanding of what's presented to you."

"We teach facts," she added. "We're not delving into theory."

Hill, who was a co-chair on the committee that helped develop the course, said they spent a decade creating the framework and ensuring the historical accuracy of the material, but she noted that it's also not a history course. It's a multidisciplinary study of the African American diaspora that includes literature, the arts, science, politics and geography."

Now from this article, it's a pilot program that's starting out, and Florida may not have been one of the states even looked at to have the courses, but seems DeSantis has stepped in to, again, deny it before it even has a chance.

Also AP are not pushed on students, they're chosen so it's not like kids would be forced to take the course.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I always enjoy a nice glass of White whine.

Maybe the conservatives'd be more comfortable if the whole historical mention was "The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs was the largest civil demonstration on the Mall for full employment in history, and was entirely peaceful despite the troublemaking of some Negroes."

Last edited:
Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
"We teach facts," she added. "We're not delving into theory."
Followed by:

t's a multidisciplinary study of the African American diaspora that includes literature, the arts, science, politics and geography."
That would literally be theory and interpretation. Not facts. Unless you've come up with an empirical unit for measuring "dysphoria"? Would you say that AA's have 10 units of Dysphoria? More? Less? Have you recently calibrated your dysphoriometer?