Another Trudeau scandal?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Though this one is also in other countries across the World, so he won't be alone in it.

But I guess since it was reported by Radio Canada, it's junk and fake news? Cause, you know, it's Liberal Media and works for the Libs.

In all seriousness - and please, keep the "Trudeau is a loser!" type BS out of this, we know already - what's the opinion on firms like this working for Government? From the article, too much of what it does - and how it was awarded the contracts - is too quiet. The public needs to know what's going on, especially since Government is spending OUR money for it.

Another question I have is why does Canada NEED 100 million people by 2100? I understand we need immigration but that kind of 'absolute' number makes this process entirely suspect.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Though this one is also in other countries across the World, so he won't be alone in it.

But I guess since it was reported by Radio Canada, it's junk and fake news? Cause, you know, it's Liberal Media and works for the Libs.

In all seriousness - and please, keep the "Trudeau is a loser!" type BS out of this, we know already - what's the opinion on firms like this working for Government? From the article, too much of what it does - and how it was awarded the contracts - is too quiet. The public needs to know what's going on, especially since Government is spending OUR money for it.

Another question I have is why does Canada NEED 100 million people by 2100? I understand we need immigration but that kind of 'absolute' number makes this process entirely suspect.
Taxes .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm. We are the trusted advisor to the world's leading businesses, governments, and institutions. We work with leading organizations across the private, public and social sectors. Our scale, scope, and knowledge allow us to address problems that no one else can. (???)
The firm has been associated with a number of notable scandals including the collapse of Enron in 2001, 2007–2008 financial crisis, and facilitating state capture in South Africa. It has also drawn controversy for involvement with Purdue Pharma, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and authoritarian regimes.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm. We are the trusted advisor to the world's leading businesses, governments, and institutions. We work with leading organizations across the private, public and social sectors. Our scale, scope, and knowledge allow us to address problems that no one else can. (???)
The firm has been associated with a number of notable scandals including the collapse of Enron in 2001, 2007–2008 financial crisis, and facilitating state capture in South Africa. It has also drawn controversy for involvement with Purdue Pharma, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and authoritarian regimes.

I can't help but think of the phrase "Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean you have to".

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pretty much same for me.
I guess if other peoples money is no object though…then these consultant services stop being a service and start becoming a means to an end.

In all honesty, I had never heard of this company of “McKinsey & Company” and I am assuming I’m not the only one and that’s the reason I posted that quick wiki link…. So we’re not all in the dark like I was.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I guess if other peoples money is no object though…then these consultant services stop being a service and start becoming a means to an end.

In all honesty, I had never heard of this company of “McKinsey & Company” and I am assuming I’m not the only one and that’s the reason I posted that quick wiki link…. So we’re not all in the dark like I was.

I'd never heard of it either. I just heard it on the news today and thought not only was it an interesting story, but also a "The CBC isn't as Pro Liberal as you think" dig at those who want to kill it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd never heard of it either. I just heard it on the news today and thought not only was it an interesting story, but also a "The CBC isn't as Pro Liberal as you think" dig at those who want to kill it.
Radio Canada leans towards the Québécois.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

The first question is easy. Transparency is the enemy of fascist governments. The second has several potential answers. Most probable is to keep our Ponzi scheme pension plan afloat. Another is to make us closer to a third world country with low wages for those that look after the ruling class.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The first question is easy. Transparency is the enemy of fascist governments.

Transparency is the enemy to a lot of governments. I recall Harper being not so very transparent; you saying he was fascist too?
The second has several potential answers. Most probable is to keep our Ponzi scheme pension plan afloat.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion but okay.

Another is to make us closer to a third world country with low wages for those that look after the ruling class.

So you agree wages should be 'livable' then? Huzzah! But with things as they are now, the called for 15 won't cut it. Hell over 20 won't cut it. So what wage should be considered 'living' now to prevent us from being said 3rd world country?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Transparency is the enemy to a lot of governments. I recall Harper being not so very transparent; you saying he was fascist too?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion but okay.

So you agree wages should be 'livable' then? Huzzah! But with things as they are now, the called for 15 won't cut it. Hell over 20 won't cut it. So what wage should be considered 'living' now to prevent us from being said 3rd world country?
Minimum wage is already over $15. Some are not worth that. How hard is it to figure out that a $20 bill for a $12. Purchase requires $8 in change?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
In the nine years of the Harper government, McKinsey was awarded $2.2 million in federal contracts. During Trudeau's seven years in office, the company has received $66 million from the federal government.
1673125362926.jpeg
McKinsey & Co. — a multi-billion dollar global consultancy firm with five locations in Canada —only scored the occasional contract with the Canadian federal government in the years preceding the 2015 election of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

In the seven years since, Radio-Canada investigators uncovered $66 million in mostly sole-sourced McKinsey contracts, including $24.5 million to provide “management advice” to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Immigration rates were already hovering at historic highs when Trudeau first took power. The number of new Canadians coming in each year had steadily risen throughout the 2000s, ultimately peaking above 250,000 in 2015, the last year of the Conservative government of Stephen Harper.

But that figure has since expanded considerably, reaching 431,645 new permanent residents in 2022. It’s a quantity of immigrants that surpasses even the meteoric heights seen during the years immediately preceding the First World War, when hundreds of thousands of European immigrants were moved in to homestead the prairies.

The Trudeau government didn’t campaign on a dramatic rise to immigration rates – and it’s not clear they had any intention of doing so upon taking power.
1673128052766.jpeg

But according to Radio-Canada’s IRCC sources, it was McKinsey – and particularly its then-global head Dominic Barton – who successfully pitched high immigration as a means to boost economic growth.

(The Century Initiative (French: Initiative du Siècle) is a Canadian charity that aims to increase Canada's population to 100 million by 2100. This would include increasing the population of "Mega-regions", such as the Greater Toronto Area, from 8.8 to 33.5 million, the Greater Vancouver region, from 3.3 to 11.9 million, and the National Capital Region, from 1.4 to 4.8 million.)

Notably, Barton is a co-founder of The Century Initiative, an advocacy group pushing for Canada’s population to surpass 100 million by 2100. “Growing our population to 100 million by 2100 would reduce the burden on government revenues to fund health care, old age security, and other services,” reads part of the initiative’s mission statement.

Barton would eventually serve as the Trudeau government’s ambassador to China from 2019 to 2021, and left amid criticisms that he had been too eager to secure trade ties with Beijing at the expense of national security.

Most Canadians will know Barton only as our ambassador to China through the nearly three-year ordeal of Beijing’s kidnapping of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor. When that humiliation was over, quite a few Canadian opinion-makers fell for the story that Barton played some key role in negotiating the Michaels’ release.

He didn’t, as an exhaustive investigation undertaken by the Wall Street Journal, published last week, amply proves. But it is a new book by New York Times reporters Michael Forsythe and Walt Bogdanich, When McKinsey Comes to Town: The Hidden Influence of the World’s Most Powerful Consulting Firm, that casts Barton in an even clearer light.

It was during Barton’s decade as global managing director for McKinsey and Associates that the company became notorious for serving kleptocrats and oligarchs from Moscow to Riyadh and from Beijing to Johannesburg. While Trudeau’s infatuation with China was already a family tradition, Barton’s formulae situating Chinese markets and money as the keys to Canada’s prosperity were built into Trudeau’s program long before he was prime minister — it was all right there and ready to go when he was running for the Liberal Party leadership.

It was Barton who served as chair of former finance minister Bill Morneau’s Advisory Council on Economic Growth, and McKinsey provided the council’s research and resources — FOR FREE. (That sure seems to have paid off!!!) When Trudeau first drew the adulation of the rich and famous at the World Economic forum in Davos — the heyday of Trudeau’s fancy-socks phase — it was Barton who introduced him.

McKinsey’s Canadian legacy, particularly the Trudeau government’s catastrophic early zealotry in the cause of normalizing relations with Russia and integrating the Canadian economy with China’s appetites and requirements may be most evident in the recent declamations from Trudeau, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, and Innovation, Science and Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne. We’ve changed, honest we have, the three of them have been lately yelling at President Joe Biden’s administration in Washington.

Trudeau is now extolling Canada’s virtues as a place where the free world can obtain vital mineral resources (except Western Canadian Petroleum Resources of coarse) without having to bend the knee to Russian or Chinese gangsters and slaveholders. One half expects him to invoke the dreaded Reform Party term “ethical oil.” Freeland has been loudly echoing every sentence US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has ever uttered that contains the word “friendshoring.” Champagne has gone so far as to resort to the term “decoupling” in relation to trade with China — a word that not long ago would get you dismissed in Liberal circles as some sort of grubby eccentric from the McCarthy era.

It’s not just outrageous but otherwise run-of-the-mill corporate sleaziness that makes When McKinsey Comes to Town such a necessary guidebook to corporate depravity. Seriously, check out the link above.

It was all very exciting for Canadians to watch the news when former U.S. president Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort was convicted of financial fraud and all his greasy dealings with Vladimir Putin’s puppets in Ukraine were laid bare. But little if any notice was paid to the role Barton’s McKinsey was playing at the same time in Ukraine, pimping Moscow’s man in Kyiv, Viktor Yanukovych, as the candidate to vote for. Ukrainians have been paying the price for that episode ever since.

While tinpot regimes in the Global South were being drawn deeper into the leghold traps of crippling debt through Beijing’s Belt and Road initiative, Barton was serving as Xi Jinping’s megaphone, regurgitating the lie that the Chinese Communist Party’s imperialist project had nothing to do with its geopolitical strategies; it was just good business….& Trudeau made this dude Canada’s Ambassador to China…

A mere few months elapsed between his departure from McKinsey and his job as Canada’s ambassador to Beijing, but it was enough time for Barton to take on the job as chairman of Teck Resources — a Canadian coal-mining giant partly owned by China’s sovereign wealth fund. Teck’s main clients: China’s coal-burning steel mills. A fun fact you’ll find in When McKinsey Comes to Town: When you take into account the coal its customers burn, Teck produces the equivalent of ten per cent of Canada’s entire greenhouse-gas output.
1673127107505.jpeg
Barton has since gone on to serve as chairman of the board of Rio Tinto, the world’s second-largest mining company. In keeping with policies Barton championed when McKinsey was running Morneau’s advisory panel on economic growth, Ottawa is paying out $220 million to Rio Tinto to help “decarbonize” its operations in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec.

Meanwhile, last week, the varsity-league consultancy Eurasia Group announced that it will be taking on Barton as its “strategic counsellor.” BARTON will be joining GERALD BUTTS, Trudeau’s former principal secretary, who resigned in the wake of the SNC-Lavalin scandal, and who joined the Eurasia Group’s media wing last month.

(Dominic Barton, is married to Geraldine Buckingham. Check out who she is…)

Last edited:
Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
There appears to be no end of taxpayers money to give to WWF s

drones, but none for Canadian vets.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There appears to be no end of taxpayers money to give to WWF s

drones, but none for Canadian vets.
Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, in nine years, paid McKinsey & Company 2.2 million dollars (so less than $250,000 per year on average) for whatever services they were contracted for. Trudeau’s NDP/Liberals gave more than $30 Million to McKinsey & Company in 2021-2022 alone than the entire term of Stephen Harper.
The more I read, the less I like. It’s like pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz. I recognize the events that are being manipulated or have been manipulated without ever hearing of this company before a few days ago….

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Minimum wage is already over $15. Some are not worth that. How hard is it to figure out that a $20 bill for a $12. Purchase requires $8 in change?

Really? Maybe where you live it is. It's not in most places.

Some are not 'worth' that? If what a person is "worth" equals pay, well, then none of us would be surviving now, would we?

Not sure what you're talking about in that last bit though so...

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is such a weird subject when it comes to a minimum wages…. Because minimum implies the bare bones, bottom end, and is that keeping up with inflation?

Between 2015 and today, how much less does your paycheque purchase if your pay has remained Static in that period? That would be the equivalent of a drop in income of what? 15%? 20%? Has the minimum wage increased by at least 20% just to keep up?