Alec Baldwin fired shot that killed one, wounded another on film set

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I don't think that anyone should be charged criminally here. It BORDERS on criminal negligence but i don't think it crosses that line.

But it's definitely negligence, and the family should be suing the begeezuz out of everyone and they should be held to account in that way.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Family of slain Marine revives defamation suit vs. Alec Baldwin
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Publishing date:Aug 31, 2022 • 4 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

NEW YORK — The family of a Marine killed in Afghanistan has revived a defamation lawsuit against Alec Baldwin over comments the actor made online.

The sisters and widow of Lance Cpl. Rylee McCollum allege Baldwin subjected them to online threats and harassment after he posted and commented on a photo shared online by one of McCollum’s sisters, Roice McCollum, who had been in Washington during the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection.

Baldwin had donated $5,000 to the family after learning of the death of Rylee McCollum in a bombing at the airport in Kabul in August 2021, just weeks before his daughter was born. Baldwin had contacted Roice McCollum via Instagram, according to the lawsuit.

In January 2022, Baldwin saw that Roice McCollum posted a picture of demonstrators from former President Donald Trump’s rally taken on the day Congress counted the Electoral College votes from the 2020 presidential election, according to the complaint.

Baldwin sent her a private message and confirmed she had organized the fundraiser for her brother, the lawsuit said. She responded that her participation in the protest was “perfectly legal,” according to court documents.

Baldwin told Roice McCollum he would share her photo with his 2.4 million Instagram followers and wrote: “Good luck,” according to the lawsuit.

The suit was initially filed in Wyoming but dismissed by a judge there in May for lack of jurisdiction because Baldwin made the posts in New York and they weren’t directed specifically at a Wyoming audience.

The current lawsuit was filed in New York on Friday and seeks a combined $25 million in punitive and compensatory damages.

Baldwin had asked for the case to be dismissed in Wyoming, saying he was expressing his political opinion and that claims by McCollum’s sister Cheyenne McCollum and his widow Jiennah McCollum should be dismissed because he did not make any statements about them.

A message was left Wednesday evening with an attorney who represented Baldwin when the suit was filed in Wyoming.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
New Mexico allows funds for prosecutions in 'Rust' shooting
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Publishing date:Sep 23, 2022 • 19 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

SANTA FE, N.M. — New Mexico has granted funds to pay for possible prosecutions connected to last year’s fatal film-set shooting of a cinematographer by actor Alec Baldwin, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported Thursday.

The state Board of Finance greenlit more than $317,000 to cover the cost of investigating potential charges in the shooting on the set of “Rust” outside Santa Fe.

First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies made an emergency request for the funds to go toward a special prosecutor, special investigator, several experts and other personnel.

As many as four people could face charges, according to a copy of the request obtained by the newspaper, though Carmack-Altwies did not say anyone definitely would.

“One of the possible defendants is well known movie actor Alec Baldwin,” she stated.

When reached for comment by the newspaper, she declined to say which crew members or cast could face charges. The possible charges her office is looking at range from homicide to violations of state gun statutes.

Carmack-Altwies said she is expecting to receive the final investigation report from the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office soon.

Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins when it went off on Oct. 21, killing her and wounding the director, Joel Souza. They had been inside a small church during setup for filming a scene.

Baldwin has said the gun went off accidentally and that he did not pull the trigger. But a recent FBI forensic report found the weapon could not not have fired unless someone pulled the trigger.

The film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, has been named in several lawsuits, including a wrongful death claim filed by Hutchins’ family.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Why the hell do funds need to be granted for this?
If charges need to be laid, charge them, the funds to prosecute should be automatic.
Did funds to charge and prosecute Kyle Rittenhouse or Derek Chauven need to be approved?....Not fucking likely

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why the hell do funds need to be granted for this?
If charges need to be laid, charge them, the funds to prosecute should be automatic.
Did funds to charge and prosecute Kyle Rittenhouse or Derek Chauven need to be approved?....Not fucking likely
It's probably something automatic just bureaucratic that is just highlighted due to the people involved here.

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It's probably something automatic just bureaucratic that is just highlighted due to the people involved here.
Either that or maybe they have a set amount they authorize for a prosecution, but prosecutors asked for an extra large budget to deal with the fact that baldwin will spend millions to stay out of jail.

Reactions: Taxslave2

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alec Baldwin may soon be charged over killing of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
Author of the article:Bang Showbiz
Bang Showbiz
Publishing date:Sep 26, 2022 • 17 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation

Alec Baldwin may soon face being charged over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his Rust film.

Prosecutors have reportedly indicated they may make the 64-year-old actor a defendant after he handed in his cellphone to be considered as evidence.

Mail Online reported on Monday he was named in a letter sent by Santa Fe District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies asking for funding to prosecute the case.

It reportedly added she was ready to file charges against four people.

She is said to have stopped short of confirming the charges she planned to bring, but reportedly added she was “certainly looking all the homicide statutes and any gun statutes under New Mexico criminal code.”

Her letter is said to read: “One of the possible defendants is well known movie actor Alec Baldwin.”

The district attorney is said to have asked for $635,000 to prosecute the case, saying she needed the money to go up against well-funded attorneys.

Alec last month said he had lost five jobs since the Rust shooting.

He added he would have quit the film business if it wasn’t for the support of his wife Hilaria Baldwin, 38, who has just had their seventh child, a daughter named Ilaria.

Alec told CNN in August about his career since 42-year-old Halyna’s killing: “I got fired from another job yesterday. There I was all set to go to a movie, jump on a plane… I’ve been talking with these guys for months and they told me yesterday we don’t want to do the film with you because of this.”

He added about Hilaria’s support: “If I didn’t have my wife, I don’t know where I would be right now… if I didn’t have her, I probably would have quit, retired, gone off, you know sold everything I owned, got a house in the middle of nowhere and just you know did find something else to do, sell real estate.”

Alec has said if and when he does return to a movie or TV set, he will refuse to work with real guns and wants to leave the creation of realistic pistols to digital effects.

He has also added there is not a day that goes by he doesn’t think about Hutchins and what happened the day she was shot last October.

Alec said: “Everybody adored her as a person. That she died, that’s the worst thing of all. Somebody died, and it was avoidable. It was so unnecessary.

“Every day of my life I think about that.”

He has placed responsibility for the tragedy on Hannah Gutierrez Reed, 24, who served as the armourer and props assistant on Rust, as well as assistant director Dave Halls – said to be 48 to 51 years old – who handed him the gun.

Through their attorneys, Hannah and Dave accused Alec of deflecting blame onto others.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Given the budget of a movie and given the comparatively low/no cost of some of those measures it's so hard for someone like me to believe anyone could be that cheap when life and safety are at risk that my first instinct is to say "no, you must be wrong". But you're probably not.
He's not wrong. Just look at the airline industry. How many people have died in plane crashes because the airline cheaped out on maintenance?

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
He's not wrong. Just look at the airline industry. How many people have died in plane crashes because the airline cheaped out on maintenance?
Yeah, but even there while that's truly horrible and detestable it actually does cost a fair bit of money to maintain aircraft. So you could at least see how a cheap bastard who didn't care about lives might think it was a good idea to save the cash. But the gun safety stuff, that's a complete pittance! Trying to shave a thousand bucks or two on a multi-million dollar production? I mean, not only are you putting people at risk BUT you're ALSO not really saving any substantial amount of money! It's nutters!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, but even there while that's truly horrible and detestable it actually does cost a fair bit of money to maintain aircraft. So you could at least see how a cheap bastard who didn't care about lives might think it was a good idea to save the cash. But the gun safety stuff, that's a complete pittance! Trying to shave a thousand bucks or two on a multi-million dollar production? I mean, not only are you putting people at risk BUT you're ALSO not really saving any substantial amount of money! It's nutters!
In most large corporations I have worked for/with I have seen general disregard for a million here or there in big high risk projects yet forms out the ying yang and huge resistance for a requisition for a $3 stapler.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
In most large corporations I have worked for/with I have seen general disregard for a million here or there in big high risk projects yet forms out the ying yang and huge resistance for a requisition for a $3 stapler.
Well the obvious answer there is make sure you order staplers that cost at least a million :) I believe this is the theory military procurement works under.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alec Baldwin settles with slain 'Rust' cinematographer's family
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Rami Ayyub and Andrew Hay
Publishing date:Oct 05, 2022 • 13 hours ago • 2 minute read • 6 Comments

ALBUQUERQUE — Actor Alec Baldwin and the producers of the Western movie “Rust” have reached a settlement in a wrongful-death lawsuit brought by the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who Baldwin shot dead during filming last year, the parties said on Wednesday.

As part of the settlement, production on the low-budget film will resume in January with the late cinematographer’s husband, Matthew Hutchins, serving as executive producer. Joel Souza, who was wounded in the shooting, will continue as director and the same actors, including Baldwin, will play principal roles.

“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame,” said Hutchins, a mergers and acquisitions lawyer. “All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident.”

Baldwin and others could still face criminal charges over the death of the 42-year-old cinematographer in October 2021 at a ranch near Santa Fe, New Mexico, a local prosecutor said after the settlement was announced.

During production of the movie, Halyna Hutchins was shot dead by Baldwin when a revolver he was using during a rehearsal fired a live round. The “30 Rock” and “Saturday Night Live” actor denied responsibility for Hutchins’ death and said live rounds should never have been allowed on the set.

“We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation,” Baldwin’s lawyer Luke Nikas said in a statement.

New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said the settlement would have no impact on her decision whether to file criminal charges in the case. Investigators have focused on determining who handled the pistol Baldwin fired.

“While civil suits are settled privately and often involve financial awards, criminal cases deal only in facts,” her office said in a statement. “If the facts and evidence warrant criminal charges under New Mexico law then charges will be brought. No one is above the law.”

The Hutchins family’s lawsuit, filed in February, said Baldwin bore significant liability for the killing as he should have checked the gun did not contain live rounds, should not have pointed it at a person and should not have pulled the trigger.

Baldwin has said he was told the gun was “cold,” an industry term meaning it was safe to use, and he did not pull the trigger.

An FBI forensic test of the single-action revolver found it “functioned normally” and would not fire without the trigger being pulled.

In August, New Mexico’s Office of the Medical Investigator ruled the shooting an accident as the gun did not appear to have been deliberately loaded with a live round.

The state’s worker safety agency fined the film’s production company the maximum amount possible, $137,000, for what it described as “willful” safety lapses leading to Hutchin’s death.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Rust' filming will not return to New Mexico after shooting
Reuters
Andrew Hay
Publishing date:Oct 20, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

When Western movie “Rust” resumes filming it will not be in New Mexico, the state where actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot the film’s cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in 2021, a lawyer for the production company said on Thursday.

The announcement followed a civil lawsuit settlement on Oct. 5, between Baldwin, Rust producers and Hutchins’ family under which filming will restart in January with the same principal actors and director. Matthew Hutchins, Halyna’s husband, will serve as executive producer.

Baldwin and others could still face criminal charges over the death of the 42-year-old cinematographer in October 2021 at a ranch near Santa Fe, New Mexico, a local prosecutor said after the settlement.

“The production of Rust will not return to New Mexico,” attorney Melina Spadone said in a statement on behalf of Rust Movie Productions. “The production is considering other locations, including in California, but no decisions have been made.”

The movie will have a safety officer on set when filming resumes and production will be under agreements with industry labour unions, as was the case with the original production, the company said in the statement.

Hutchins was shot dead by Baldwin when a revolver he was using during a rehearsal fired a live round that also hit director Joel Souza, who survived. The “30 Rock” and “Saturday Night Live” actor denied responsibility for Hutchins’ death and said live rounds should never have been allowed on the set.

The New Mexico Film Office, which markets and services productions in the state, did not respond to a request for comment. Spending on film and television production in New Mexico hit a record $855 million in fiscal year 2022, according to data from the office.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alec Baldwin files lawsuit against crew in deadly 'Rust' shooting
Reuters
Daniel Trotta
Publishing date:Nov 11, 2022 • 10 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation

Actor Alec Baldwin filed a lawsuit on Friday against the armorer and three other crew members over the deadly shooting on the set of the Western movie “Rust,” in which a gun that Baldwin was using during rehearsal killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Baldwin’s suit was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court as a cross complaint stemming from a previous suit in which a different member of the crew named Baldwin and the others as defendants.

It is one of many pieces of litigation stemming from the tragedy of Oct. 21, 2021, which is also under criminal investigation and could result in New Mexico state charges.

Baldwin’s cross complaint names armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, first assistant director Dave Halls, prop supplier Seth Kenney and prop master Sarah Zachry. Attorneys for Gutierrez-Reed, Halls and Kenney did not immediately respond to requests for statements in their clients’ defense. Reuters could not locate an attorney for Zachry.

All four were also named as defendants along with Baldwin in the original lawsuit filed by a script supervisor who claimed the shooting caused her severe emotional distress.

Baldwin’s cross complaint alleges negligence and seeks damages to be determined at trial for the “immense grief” he endures.

“This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun, Gutierrez-Reed failed to check the bullets or the gun carefully, Halls failed to check the gun carefully and yet announced the gun was safe before handing it to Baldwin, and Zachry failed to disclose that Gutierrez-Reed had been acting recklessly off set and was a safety risk to those around her,” Baldwin’s cross complaint said.

The suit was written by Luke Nikas, an attorney for Baldwin who is with the firm Quinn Emanuel.

Hutchins was killed when a revolver Baldwin was rehearsing with during filming in New Mexico fired a live round that hit her and movie director Joel Souza, who survived.

In a television interview, the actor said he did not pull the trigger of the Colt .45 revolver and it fired after he cocked it.

An FBI forensic test of the single-action revolver found it “functioned normally” and would not fire without the trigger being pulled.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alec Baldwin files lawsuit against crew in deadly 'Rust' shooting
Reuters
Daniel Trotta
Publishing date:Nov 11, 2022 • 10 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation

Actor Alec Baldwin filed a lawsuit on Friday against the armorer and three other crew members over the deadly shooting on the set of the Western movie “Rust,” in which a gun that Baldwin was using during rehearsal killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Baldwin’s suit was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court as a cross complaint stemming from a previous suit in which a different member of the crew named Baldwin and the others as defendants.

It is one of many pieces of litigation stemming from the tragedy of Oct. 21, 2021, which is also under criminal investigation and could result in New Mexico state charges.

Baldwin’s cross complaint names armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, first assistant director Dave Halls, prop supplier Seth Kenney and prop master Sarah Zachry. Attorneys for Gutierrez-Reed, Halls and Kenney did not immediately respond to requests for statements in their clients’ defense. Reuters could not locate an attorney for Zachry.

All four were also named as defendants along with Baldwin in the original lawsuit filed by a script supervisor who claimed the shooting caused her severe emotional distress.

Baldwin’s cross complaint alleges negligence and seeks damages to be determined at trial for the “immense grief” he endures.

“This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun, Gutierrez-Reed failed to check the bullets or the gun carefully, Halls failed to check the gun carefully and yet announced the gun was safe before handing it to Baldwin, and Zachry failed to disclose that Gutierrez-Reed had been acting recklessly off set and was a safety risk to those around her,” Baldwin’s cross complaint said.

The suit was written by Luke Nikas, an attorney for Baldwin who is with the firm Quinn Emanuel.

Hutchins was killed when a revolver Baldwin was rehearsing with during filming in New Mexico fired a live round that hit her and movie director Joel Souza, who survived.

In a television interview, the actor said he did not pull the trigger of the Colt .45 revolver and it fired after he cocked it.

someone who makes mistakes, blames everyone else, and doesnt take responsibility for anything. he should run for president. ;)

Reactions: Ron in Regina

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Decision on possible charges in 'Rust' shooting coming Thursday
Reuters
Lisa Richwine
Published Jan 18, 2023 • 1 minute read

LOS ANGELES — Officials in New Mexico plan to announce on Thursday whether they will pursue criminal charges against Alec Baldwin or others in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of Western movie “Rust.”

New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies and special prosecutor Andrea Reeb will announce their decision at 9 a.m. Mountain Standard Time (1600 GMT), according to a statement issued on Wednesday.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza was wounded when a gun Baldwin was using during a rehearsal in October 2021 fired off a live bullet. The movie was being filmed at Bonanza Creek Ranch outside Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The “30 Rock” and “Saturday Night Live” actor, who also served as a producer on “Rust,” has denied responsibility for the shooting.

Baldwin has said he was told the gun was “cold,” an industry term meaning it is safe to use, and that he did not pull the trigger. He has sued crew members for negligence.

An FBI forensic test of the single-action revolver that Baldwin was using found it “functioned normally” and would not fire without the trigger being pulled.

New Mexico’s Office of the Medical Investigator has ruled the shooting an accident, saying the gun did not appear to have been deliberately loaded with a live round. Authorities have been trying to determine how a real bullet made its way to the movie set.

Hutchins’ family settled a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin and other producers last year. Under the agreement, filming on the low-budget movie is set to resume this month with Hutchins’ husband serving as an executive producer.