British PM Choice. . .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The new British Prime Minister will be announced today at 12:30 BST at London's Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre. Liz Truss is the strong favourite to beat Rishi Sunak.

The new PM will be installed tomorrow by the Queen at Balmoral in Scotland.

Truss tipped by pollsters to win the contest​

f8c911ac-94a2-456d-9c67-21b20e3f7f1e.jpg

For several weeks now, Liz Truss has been the pollsters' favourite to win the leadership contest.

In mid-August, YouGov announced that Liz Truss had a lead over Rishi Sunak by 66% to 34% in members' poll.

This seems to be backed by betting sites.

This morning, betting aggregator Oddschecker puts Truss' chances of becoming the next PM at 1/100, versus Sunak's 33/1.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You might even recognise their faces - but how much do you know about them?

Rishi Sunak

• The UK's former chancellor, until his out-of-the-blue resignation put Boris Johnson’s leadership on the ropes
  • The face of the furlough scheme during the Covid pandemic
  • Alongside his former boss, Sunak was fined by police for breaking lockdown rules in Downing Street in June 2020
  • A teetotal millennial millionaire with an heiress wife whose tax affairs were recently put under the spotlight
  • He has run on a platform of sorting out the economy
Liz Truss

• The UK's current foreign secretary - didn’t resign during the cabinet mutiny that took down Boris Johnson
  • Bookies' favourite for Downing Street
  • To draw a contrast to Sunak, she's made much of having attended a state school
  • She used to be a member of the Lib Dems and once called for the monarchy to be abolished
  • She campaigned for Remain, but now says Brexit is a good thing

Reactions: Taxslave2

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Truss gets lowest membership vote since rule change​

Liz Truss may have been victorious, but it wasn't the landslide that many were predicting.

Since the Conservative Party changed its internal election rules to give members a final say, ahead of the 2001 leadership contest, no leader has got less than 60%.

Truss secured 57% of members votes, compared to Boris Johnson getting 66.4% of the vote in 2019, David Cameron 67.6% in 2005 and Iain Duncan Smith 60.7% in 2001.

Theresa May never faced a membership ballot in 2016, after her opponent Andrea Leadsom pulled out after the first round.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Macron congratulates Truss despite 'friend or foe' row​

6307d3b12200001c0018ec0b.jpg

French President Emmanuel Macron has offered congratulations to Liz Truss and said France is "ready to work together as allies and friends".

Speaking during a press conference with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, Macron said both France and the UK "have the same values, a history of friendship, we face common challenges".

It comes after Truss's controversial remarks about the French leader, when she said the "jury is out" in response to a question whether he is is a "friend or foe" of the UK.

Following the remarks, Macron warned of "serious problems" for France-UK relations, but insisted the UK remained an ally despite the occasional error made by its leaders.

"The UK is a great country committed with us to defend the values of democracy alongside Ukraine and which also needs to strengthen its energy sovereignty and win the battle against climate change."
French President Emmanuel Macron

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Truss to announce energy rescue plan on Thursday​

Woman looking at electricity bill

Help for consumers' energy costs is to be provided by allowing energy suppliers to take out government-backed loans to allow them to subsidise bills.

The plan, which had been suggested by the energy industry, is set to be announced on Thursday.

The "deficit reduction scheme" is expected to form the centrepiece of the government's attempt to tackle the high cost of energy for consumers.

Smaller firms are expected to be offered similar help to that of households, although the BBC understands the details of how businesses will be helped may not be ironed out in time to be included in Thursday's energy announcement.

It is also understood that bigger companies may be offered bespoke tax breaks to help them through the period of high prices.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The moment Truss is elected leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What is it with British Prime Ministers recently not using their first names?

Boris is Johnson's middle name. His first name is Alexander - Alexander Johnson.

Elizabeth is Truss's middle name. Her first name is Mary - Mary Truss.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Johnson about to give farewell speech
The lectern in place in Downing Street
df0aa799-9eec-43d9-8e23-d8dbd545aecd.jpg

The lectern is now out in Downing Street, which should mean Boris Johnson’s appearance isn’t too far away.

Cabinet colleagues - including Nadine Dorries and Grant Shapps - have been spotted in and around Downing Street. As have some family members.

I think it’s likely that Mr Johnson will have a group of supporters standing by him as he makes his final speech.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Nearly 140 years since last PM appointed at Balmoral​

Nicholas Witchell
BBC royal correspondent

940b8632-eabe-4b50-8c94-824aaebfa6d4.jpg

It's been nearly 140 years since the last prime minister had to make the journey all the way up to the Scottish Highlands to be appointed.

That was in 1885. The PM then was Robert Gascoyne-Cecil. The monarch of course was Queen Victoria. It took several days for all the travelling.

Today it should be much quicker. The outgoing PM Boris Johnson will arrive here at around 11:30 having been driven from Aberdeen. He will tender his resignation to the Queen in the drawing room of Balmoral Castle.

Then shortly after midday, having been driven again the 45 miles from Aberdeen, the incoming PM Liz Truss will meet the Queen in the drawing room. She will be invited to form a new government, and from that point she will be PM.

The whole ceremony is known as the kissing of hands. In fact, there is no kissing, merely a handshake. And with that she will then return to London as PM to begin work.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
What is it with British Prime Ministers recently not using their first names?

Boris is Johnson's middle name. His first name is Alexander - Alexander Johnson.

Elizabeth is Truss's middle name. Her first name is Mary - Mary Truss.

Maybe they don't go by their first names?

I don't; my parents wanted to call me by the name I go by, but nothing went good with it as a first name. It sort of 'go' as a second name so... my name is my middle.

It's preference.

Why's it matter?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Maybe they don't go by their first names?

I don't; my parents wanted to call me by the name I go by, but nothing went good with it as a first name. It sort of 'go' as a second name so... my name is my middle.

It's preference.

Why's it matter?

It doesn't matter. I was just wondering.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"Like Cincinnatus I shall be returning to my plough..."

Johnson's farewell speech...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Therese Coffey is Deputy Prime Minister

0b01a887043ca7fb4fac9f86ca157020Y29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjYyNTY3NzAz-2.68664044.jpg

In her top four posts, Liz Truss has appointed:

Kwasi Kwarteng as Chancellor of the Exchequer (Finance Minister)

James Cleverly as Foreign Secretary

Suella Braverman as Home Secretary

Therese Coffey as Deputy Prime Minister and Health Secretary