Trudeau’s nitrogen policy will decimate Canadian farming

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Place to start for this video is 19:16 (everything before that is just their daily stuff on the farm)

This is a channel I follow on Youtube from a farmer in Ontario. Though the usual focus is sheep she raises, she DOES video and talk about other things on their farm too, including planting, harvest, goals, etc. From 19:16 to 24:05 they talk about the costs of farming this year alone, the rise of prices and nitrogen as it affects them, and solutions they've done to try and keep costs down.

Interesting to hear to be honest, absolutely love her channel.

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mr. McDick has really cleaned up well!!

In a similar move, the federal government confirmed that nitrous oxide emissions from fertilizers would have to be reduced by 30 per cent. The Liberals claim that this will not lead to production cuts, but farm producers, who were not consulted by the government beforehand, disagree and say that they will be forced to use less fertilizer, leading to less agricultural output.

In September 2021, when the policy was still up in the air, Western Canadian Wheat Growers, a farmer advocacy group, commissioned a report, which estimated that the Liberals’ targets would cost Alberta $2.95 billion, Saskatchewan $4.61 billion and Manitoba $1.58 billion in lost production.

1658925964771.jpeg

These numbers have likely increased since then, due to steady increases in the price of fertilizer and food. To make things worse, the production losses would also come at a time when the world is facing global food shortages.

Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister David Marit condemned the target for being “arbitrary,” saying, “The Trudeau government has apparently moved on from their attack on the oil and gas industry and set their sights on Saskatchewan farmers.” The federal government dismissed these concerns, saying that it is investing in “research and development” in “clean technology,” which is too vague to be a credible reply.

Time and time again, the Liberals seem intent on setting questionable emissions targets that ignore or contradict available evidence on their feasibility. But who needs evidence-based policy-making when you can parade big numbers in front of voters in Toronto and Montreal, while western Canada foots the bill?

(Environment Canada denied that production cuts would be necessary, but when pressed by the Globe and Mail for an explanation as to how the gap would be covered, the government declined to respond.)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trudeau is an "organic foods" wingnut for one but there's gotta be more, there's gotta be a side swindle to cash in on.

For Ethanol the cash cow is high protein cattle feed from the remaing mash for biodiesel its seed cake for omegas and vitamins to provide healthy robust beef pork, chickens.

The sideswindle for this? My money is on seaweed. Seaweed is 1.7% nitrogen.

Watch for Liberal startup seaweed farms coming to a Coastal First Nation near you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The real story...

Excellent video. Saw it on fascist book a couple of days ago. I’m surprised fb hasn’t banned it as fake news yet.
I got put in fascist book jail again for suggesting certain criminals should be hung. Apparently this is promoting hatred.

Reactions: petros

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Trudeau is an "organic foods" wingnut for one but there's gotta be more, there's gotta be a side swindle to cash in on.

For Ethanol the cash cow is high protein cattle feed from the remaing mash for biodiesel its seed cake for omegas and vitamins to provide healthy robust beef pork, chickens.

The sideswindle for this? My money is on seaweed. Seaweed is 1.7% nitrogen.

Watch for Liberal startup seaweed farms coming to a Coastal First Nation near you.
There is some seaweed harvesting going on now. The anti jobs crowd opposes in because they fear it may decimate salmon stocks. Might be possible but to them everything is killing salmon except the commercial sport fishing.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There is some seaweed harvesting going on now. The anti jobs crowd opposes in because they fear it may decimate salmon stocks. Might be possible but to them everything is killing salmon except the commercial sport fishing.
Seaweed grows back every year .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
True, but is it enough to compensate for harvesting and still provide habitat for fish? I don’t know the answer to that one.
Seaweed of the variety used for Nori is best early in it ‘s growth cycle , once it grows to long and thick it is not as flavourful and it also loses its color . Harvesting is labor intensive as is cleaning and drying . As for fish habitat you can only harvest on the shore line and can only get enough off rocks that are fully covered , most rocks don’t have enough to bother with .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The kelp they were harvesting on the North island years ago was being cut off the sea floor. I don't know how it eventually turned out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Seaweed grows back every year .
True, but is it enough to compensate for harvesting and still provide habitat for fish? I don’t know the answer to that one.
Seaweed of the variety used for Nori is best early in it ‘s growth cycle , once it grows to long and thick it is not as flavourful and it also loses its color . Harvesting is labor intensive as is cleaning and drying . As for fish habitat you can only harvest on the shore line and can only get enough off rocks that are fully covered , most rocks don’t have enough to bother with .
The kelp they were harvesting on the North island years ago was being cut off the sea floor. I don't know how it eventually turned out.
As far as I know the only habitat of concern is brine and sunshine. Seaweed and algae can grow inland.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Kelp is a different story , I wouldn’t want to see wide spread commercial harvesting , perhaps a niche market of roe on kelp ,but even that depends on fishing spawning herring for the roe which is not really a sustainable practice .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Most people think of kelp and seaweed as the same thing.
And apparently some dont consider that there are freshwater versions with immense potential.

If you are familiar with what happened in the Okanagan Valley in the 1970s and is problematic today after someone flushed their fish tank youd see the potential.

That Eurasian crap grows meters a day. That shit can be used to bring overly nutrient rich and alkalinity screwed lakes and sloughs to balance. There is no shortage of lakes, sloughs and wetlands to do this in in Canada.

Who wants to try? Itll clean up climate cash too.

Its an opportunity to be a Librigarch like Trudeau and Co.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
And apparently some dont consider that there are freshwater versions with immense potential.

If you are familiar with what happened in the Okanagan Valley in the 1970s and is problematic today after someone flushed their fish tank youd see the potential.

That Eurasian crap grows meters a day. That shit can be used to bring overly nutrient rich and alkalinity screwed lakes and sloughs to balance. There is no shortage of lakes, sloughs and wetlands to do this in in Canada.

Who wants to try? Itll clean up climate cash too.

Its an opportunity to be a Librigarch like Trudeau and Co.
They are still dragging Okanagan Lake for the suckers as we speak .