Taxpayer watchdog launches petition to defund CBC and end media funding

C9AC82CF-0517-4226-9430-EAA15901AEF6.jpeg

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Taxpayer watchdog launches petition to defund CBC and end media funding

View attachment 12393

Let's stop with the half-baked ideas and just defund the Federal government until they shape up.

• Love
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
One old grouch standing in the way of progress will quickly be shown the error of his ways. :giggle:
Hope so. We've been phasing out Federal government funding for our Corporation for Public Broadcasting, now providing less than 15% of their budget. State grants, corporate and organizational grants, and private charity provide the rest.

Maybe some version of that could work for CBC?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hope so. We've been phasing out Federal government funding for our Corporation for Public Broadcasting, now providing less than 15% of their budget. State grants, corporate and organizational grants, and private charity provide the rest.

Maybe some version of that could work for CBC?
Considering that their ratings are almost in the basement, I doubt their infinitesimally small fan base could support them and that's a good thing. The best outcome would be that they simply slink out of the building and close their doors forever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Considering that their ratings are almost in the basement, I doubt their infinitesimally small fan base could support them and that's a good thing. The best outcome would be that they simply slink out of the building and close their doors forever.
Works for me. As I said before, CBC was instrumental in the development of broadcasting in Canada.

And horses and windjammers were instrumental in developing the Canadian economy. Don't mean you should maintain them on the public dime after they're obsolete.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CBC TV yeah but when it comes to radio CBC tops the charts.

• Sad
Reactions: Mowich

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Works for me. As I said before, CBC was instrumental in the development of broadcasting in Canada.

And horses and windjammers were instrumental in developing the Canadian economy. Don't mean you should maintain them on the public dime after they're obsolete.
I grew up listening to CBC and eventually watching it on TV. It was great when I was a kid and even into my teenage years, Tec. They had some great programming back then. It is such a shame that with that history it has sunk to such low levels.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I grew up listening to CBC and eventually watching it on TV. It was great when I was a kid and even into my teenage years, Tec. They had some great programming back then. It is such a shame that with that history it has sunk to such low levels.
Yep, I have every confidence. And when the old dog gets blind and weird, it's time to do the merciful thing.

Remembering it fondly don't mean you have to support it now.

Reactions: Mowich

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Come now , if we didn’t have the CBC we would have never had Hockey Night in Canada which out with we would never have beat the Russians and they would still be clamouring for world domination . Oh wait .

• Haha