Liberating the Oppressed

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
“Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. He was teaching in their synagogues, and everyone praised him. He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

’The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.‘

Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began by saying to them, ‘Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.’” (Luke 4:14-21, New International Version).

Luke, the Gentile physician and missionary companion of Paul (Colossians 4:11, 14; Philemon 1:24) penned this account of Jesus’ inaugural address at the outset of His mission to liberate the oppressed. The good doctor chronicled Jesus’ ministry to the oppressed in his two-volume record in Luke-Acts.

Who are the oppressed?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The subject passage identifies some of the oppressed as the poor, the imprisoned, the blind, widows and those with chronic conditions (leprosy) (Luke 4:14-30).

What did the prophet foretell for these?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The subject passage identifies some of the oppressed as the poor, the imprisoned, the blind, widows and those with chronic conditions (leprosy) (Luke 4:14-30).

What did the prophet foretell for these?
The prophet proclaimed good news, freedom, recovery and favor for the oppressed. Whom did the prophet represent?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The prophet proclaimed good news, freedom, recovery and favor for the oppressed. Whom did the prophet represent?
Which prophet? Depends on which religion is being pushed, doesn’t it? If it’s Jesus you’re referring to as a prophet then your bias is being ‘back door enforced’ just by someone trying to answer your question, isn’t it?

I’m on the outside looking in, & I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but don’t Christians & their related sects consider Christ not as a prophet but something else? What do they consider this guy?

Reactions: taxslave

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Which prophet? Depends on which religion is being pushed, doesn’t it? If it’s Jesus you’re referring to as a prophet then your bias is being ‘back door enforced’ just by someone trying to answer your question, isn’t it?

I’m on the outside looking in, & I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but don’t Christians & their related sects consider Christ not as a prophet but something else? What do they consider this guy?
Christians recognize Christ as the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets, RR.

In the Law, Moses records the following: “The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him,“ and “I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him” (Deuteronomy 18:15, 18, NIV).

In the prophets, Isaiah writes thus: “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn” (Isaiah 61:1-2, NIV).

Prophet is one of the divinely-appointed Old Testament offices pointing to Christ. Priest and King are two others. Christ fulfills all of these.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ah, OK, so from the back door you’re pushing the idea of Isa as a prophet in your belief system without having the courage to have openly stated that as your intention from the opening post, in order to try and get Christians & their ilk to agree with you without their realizing what they where agreeing to. Got it.

Just so you know, I’m not even religious, but I’ve seen (& even used) the same debate style in the past.

I really couldn’t give two flying farts about most religions, as if it gives you some sort of peace then all the power to you, as long as you’re not trying to sell it like some cheap door-to-door salesman, Or trying to hoodwink others into your beliefs through a debating tactic ‘sleight of hand‘ with loaded questions without first stating your intentions.

If your intention here is to somehow recruit the gullible into Islam away from their own religions, whatever they may be, just be a man and state that from the beginning, because you’re not as cunning as you think you are, and honesty is the best policy.

Reactions: MyOpinion

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Oh yeah, I didn’t have to quote anybody and I used my own words, but if I did have to quote (and plagiarize) somebody in this instance it would be, “Can you Smell what the Rock is cooking?” from the immortal words of Dwayne Johnson.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Ah, OK, so from the back door you’re pushing the idea of Isa as a prophet in your belief system without having the courage to have openly stated that as your intention from the opening post, in order to try and get Christians & their ilk to agree with you without their realizing what they where agreeing to. Got it.

Just so you know, I’m not even religious, but I’ve seen (& even used) the same debate style in the past.

I really couldn’t give two flying farts about most religions, as if it gives you some sort of peace then all the power to you, as long as you’re not trying to sell it like some cheap door-to-door salesman, Or trying to hoodwink others into your beliefs through a debating tactic ‘sleight of hand‘ with loaded questions without first stating your intentions.

If your intention here is to somehow recruit the gullible into Islam away from their own religions, whatever they may be, just be a man and state that from the beginning, because you’re not as cunning as you think you are, and honesty is the best policy.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, RR.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Isaiah and Luke tell us the prophet represents the LORD (“Spirit of the LORD,” “he has anointed me”, “He has sent me,” “LORD’s favor”). Who is the LORD?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

I think the guy is related to "French Patriot" or his alter ego :rolleyes:

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Isaiah and Luke tell us the prophet represents the LORD (“Spirit of the LORD,” “he has anointed me”, “He has sent me,” “LORD’s favor”). Who is the LORD?
The LORD in Isaiah’s writings is the English translation of the name of the Hebrew God YHWH. The Lord in Luke’s accounts is the English translation of the Greek title for YHWH meaning the Ruler.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Oh yeah, I didn’t have to quote anybody and I used my own words, but if I did have to quote (and plagiarize) somebody in this instance it would be, “Can you Smell what the Rock is cooking?” from the immortal words of Dwayne Johnson.
I think motar has cooked a few too many rocks.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
To review, Luke presents Jesus in the power and authority of the LORD proclaiming to a first-century Jewish synagogue audience good news, freedom and favor for the poor, imprisoned, blind, oppressed, widowed and chronically ill (leprosy) in fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy (Isaiah 61:1-2; Luke 4:14-30).

Why do both Jesus and Luke end the reading of Isaiah 61:1-2 in the middle of verse 2?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Why do both Jesus and Luke end the reading from Isaiah 61 in the middle of verse 2? (Luke 4:19).
“ … to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn …” (Isaiah 61:2, NIV).

The first coming of Christ is ”to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor” to liberate the oppressed. The return of Christ is to enact “the day of vengeance of our God” to deal with oppressors.

Why in God’s design is there a lengthier time of favor (one year) and a shorter period of judgment (one day)?