COVID-19 'Pandemic'

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Dr. Steven Pelech, a tenured UBC professor of Immunology and Neurology, founder of Kinexus Bioinformatics, and Chair of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Committee for the Canadian COVID Care Alliance (CCCA) has initiated a petition in the House of Commons.

The petition calls upon the Canadian government to “suspend the use of COVID-19 vaccines in pregnant women, children, youth, and adults of child-bearing age until the ongoing short- and long-term safety trials are fully completed and published in peer-reviewed journals."

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Dr. Steven Pelech, a tenured UBC professor of Immunology and Neurology, founder of Kinexus Bioinformatics, and Chair of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Committee for the Canadian COVID Care Alliance (CCCA) has initiated a petition in the House of Commons.

The petition calls upon the Canadian government to “suspend the use of COVID-19 vaccines in pregnant women, children, youth, and adults of child-bearing age until the ongoing short- and long-term safety trials are fully completed and published in peer-reviewed journals."
Tough one. It's the eternal question of experimental medicines: How long does one withhold potentially life-saving medicines whilst studying safety?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Tough one. It's the eternal question of experimental medicines: How long does one withhold potentially life-saving medicines whilst studying safety?
Until it meets the political objective.
The question is, is it life-saving if the downstream effects of treatment are as bad or worse than the treatment. I usually use Thalidomide as an example, because I am old, and I vividly remember the effects on two people that would be about my age if they survived. There are many newer examples of drugs being dumped on the market that have turned out being worse than what they were meant to treat. Drug companies get sued and fined regularly for this.
Over the last several decades we have been programmed to believe there is a pill for whatever ails you. Politicians, always on the campaign trail feel obligated to do something to make the voters think they are worthy of reelection, regardless of the consequences.
There is also something of a phobia in the medical community to go against conventional wisdom. Much of academia is the same. Having worked closely with archaeologists on several projects I have found that much of what we were taught in school was speculation at best and often pure bullshit. But new graduates are afraid of saying something contrary to what a so called expert has decided is gospel. I suspect other fields are the same.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Until it meets the political objective.
The question is, is it life-saving if the downstream effects of treatment are as bad or worse than the treatment. I usually use Thalidomide as an example, because I am old, and I vividly remember the effects on two people that would be about my age if they survived. There are many newer examples of drugs being dumped on the market that have turned out being worse than what they were meant to treat. Drug companies get sued and fined regularly for this.
Over the last several decades we have been programmed to believe there is a pill for whatever ails you. Politicians, always on the campaign trail feel obligated to do something to make the voters think they are worthy of reelection, regardless of the consequences.
There is also something of a phobia in the medical community to go against conventional wisdom. Much of academia is the same. Having worked closely with archaeologists on several projects I have found that much of what we were taught in school was speculation at best and often pure bullshit. But new graduates are afraid of saying something contrary to what a so called expert has decided is gospel. I suspect other fields are the same.
Yep. Don't know about Drugs Canada or whatever the hell you call it, but the Food and Drug Administration down hereabouts is still gun-shy because of Thalidomide. Scattered cases of people who "would have died anyhow" don't have quite the press value of thousands of maimed babies.

It's always political, and by "political" I mean way, WAAAAY beyond just partisan politics.

But as an initial matter, I will say that people who are diagnosed as terminal by competent medical authority should be allowed to try whatever the hell they want.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I see you are coming up with new names to call me that's OK McIntosh I understand

You and Serryah usually just ignore me when your proven wrong
Can't speak for Serryah, but I ignore you because there's no point in refuting your arrant bullshit point by point.

In this case, however, you addressed me directly, so I responded.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Can't speak for Serryah, but I ignore you because there's no point in refuting your arrant bullshit point by point.

In this case, however, you addressed me directly, so I responded.
I know you can't refute the facts so you need to name call me feel better it's OK you'll feel better after your next booster shot

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Boston Marathon bomber received $1,400 in COVID relief funds
Author of the article:
Postmedia News
Publishing date:
Jan 06, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 1 minute read •
Join the conversation
Whats on your mind? Terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev throws some shade from his jail cell. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Whats on your mind? Terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev throws some shade from his jail cell. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Article content

Boston marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev received $1,400 in COVID relief funds.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

But Tsarnaev will have to give the money back, along with other money sent to him in jail and pay it to his victims as restitution, according to the New York Post.

Tsarnaev was found guilty of the bombing in 2015 and sentenced to death and ordered to pay more than $101 million in restitution. He has appealed the death sentence.

He has paid only $2,203 according to court documents.

Tsarnaev has $3,885.06 in his inmate account, funds that came from the COVID-19 relief check he received on June 22, 2021, as well as deposits from individuals and groups, including the Office of Federal Defenders in New York, the report said.

Federal prosecutors say Tsarnaev has given the money to his family instead of to his victims.

• Wow

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Three airlines refuse to carry 'idiot' Quebecers who partied on way to Cancun

Author of the article:
Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:
Jan 06, 2022 • 21 hours ago • 3 minute read •
286 Comments
This screengrab taken from a social media video posted by Journal de Montreal reporter Francis Pilon shows people partying on a Sunwing flight without masks.
This screengrab taken from a social media video posted by Journal de Montreal reporter Francis Pilon shows people partying on a Sunwing flight without masks. Photo by Francis Pilon /Twitter screengrab
Article content

MONTREAL — Passengers who filmed themselves partying maskless aboard a chartered Sunwing Airlines flight from Montreal to Mexico last week have become pariahs and now face being stranded after two more airlines announced Wednesday they will not fly them home to Canada.

Following Sunwing’s cancellation of the return charter flight from Cancun scheduled for Wednesday, Air Transat and Air Canada both said they will refuse to carry the passengers, who were called “idiots” Wednesday by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Air Transat said on Twitter the “disruptive passengers” from the Sunwing flight had been trying to return home on its flights, but they were denied boarding based on the company’s obligation to ensure passenger and crew safety.

Air Canada issued a statement saying that “to the extent that we can identify the passengers who were part of the group, Air Canada is denying boarding to ensure the safety of other passengers and its crew.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Among those looking for a way home is Rebecca St-Pierre, a 19-year-old student from Trois-Rivieres, Que., who said she feels abandoned, not knowing how she’ll pay for her hotel room as her stay is extended indefinitely. She said she tested positive for COVID-19 Wednesday and is now in isolation in Tulum, south of Cancun. She estimated that about 30 others on the flight have tested positive.

“The organizer just left everybody. I don’t know who’s still here. All the flights have been cancelled,” an emotional St-Pierre told The Canadian Press.

St-Pierre said she won the free trip in a contest on Instagram and had never previously heard of the organizer, who identifies himself on social media as James William Awad. “I was expecting a relaxing week, where I was going to be careful,” she said. “But this turns out to be an expensive trip for something that was supposed to be free.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Videos of the Dec. 30 flight shared on social media show passengers not wearing masks as they gather in close proximity, singing and dancing in the aisle and on seats. In one video, a large bottle of vodka appears to be passed among passengers, and later a woman appears to be smoking an electronic cigarette.

St-Pierre acknowledged that the videos give an accurate picture of what went on during the five-hour flight to Cancun.

“There was no social distancing ⦠I think people were doing drugs,” St-Pierre said. She said that ahead of the scheduled return trip, some people were putting Vaseline up their noses in an attempt to thwart COVID-19 testing.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino issued a joint statement late Tuesday saying they had directed their departments to investigate.

The statement said passengers who violated Transport Department regulations could face fines of up to $5,000 per offence. It also warned that anyone giving false information to a Canadian government official could face fines of up to $750,000, six months in jail or both.

An aviation expert said he hopes the Transport Department investigation will shed light on why the pilot didn’t request an emergency landing after the crew lost control of the passengers.

“We live in a world where pseudo-influencers think they are above everything, but a plane 30,000 feet above the ground can be extremely dangerous,” said Mehran Ebrahimi, who heads an aerospace industry research unit at the Universite du Quebec a Montreal.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“Imagine if people decided, for fun, to play with the door? A plane is not a cottage you rent where you can do everything you want.”

Awad wrote on Twitter Wednesday that a “simple party” on a plane was behind the controversy. “I will take a moment to sit down and rethink everything,” he said. “Especially how I can do things better next time.”

Awad, who operates 111 Private Club, organized the trip including a group of social media “influencers” and reality TV stars, such as Karl Sabourin from the popular Quebec show “Occupation Double,” and Sandrine Seguin and Anna-Maelle Laprise, who both appeared on the province’s version of “Love Island.”

Trudeau called the passengers’ conduct irresponsible and a “slap in the face” to everyone who has been following public health restrictions. In French, he referred to the passengers as “idiots” and “barbarians.”

“Like all Canadians who’ve seen the videos, I’m extremely frustrated,” Trudeau told a news conference in Ottawa.

• Wow

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Organizer of influencer charter flight says he wanted to host 'private and safe event'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the Sunwing passengers as “idiots”
Author of the article:
Montreal Gazette
Publishing date:
Jan 06, 2022 • 6 hours ago • 3 minute read •
45 Comments
An investigation was prompted when media reports were circulating of passengers behaving inappropriately on a Sunwing Airlines flight from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico.
An investigation was prompted when media reports were circulating of passengers behaving inappropriately on a Sunwing Airlines flight from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico. Photo by INSTAGRAM
Article content

The organizer of a Dec. 30 charter flight to Cancun from Montreal that became the focus of international attention and outrage because of the unruly behaviour of its passengers said on Thursday his priority was to host “a private and safe event in Cancun.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

In a post on his personal blog on Thursday, James William Awad of the 111 private club said that while he understood that “many fellow citizens are upset about the current situation,” he had “committed to hosting a private and safe event in Cancun with my group.”
Want more from that cannabis high? Try this

Tracker dslogo

Awad’s statement comes a day after Air Canada and Air Transat joined Sunwing Airlines — which had flown the group to Cancun — in publicly announcing they would not be providing transportation to those involved in the charter to return to Montreal. Those announcements came on the same day Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the passengers as “idiots.”

The controversy began after videos of the flight shared on social media showed passengers not wearing masks as they gathered in close proximity and singing and dancing in the aisle and on seats. In one video, a large bottle of vodka appears to be passed among passengers, and later a woman appears to be smoking an electronic cigarette.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Rena Kisfalvi, president of the local of the Canadian Union of Public Employees representing about 1,000 Sunwing flight attendants, said that although the situation had escalated, her colleagues told her the passengers had never been “pushy.”

“It was not a catastrophic event,” she said in a telephone interview. “Were they in violation of vaping? Yes. Were they in disrespect on the masks? Yes. Were they in violation of alcohol consumption? Yes.

“But when you’re in the air and you’re halfway to where you need to be, there are a lot of factors that go into making that plane (return home) or land immediately,” she said.

“I think it’s a decision they made as a crew.”

In Thursday’s blog post, Awad does not mention the video or allude to the conduct depicted on them, saying only that “ I chartered a private aircraft and private transportation to ensure everyone’s safety. We also took additional steps by getting everyone tested before leaving Montreal to make sure the whole group was safe and thus even if the Mexican authority does not require a negative PCR test to enter.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“ I chartered the whole flight for us and only us.”

Awad said that when he spoke Tuesday with Sunwing Airlines to arrange a flight home for the group he agreed to all security demands made of him by the airline, but added that the agreement fell through after Sunwing would not rescind a requirement that no in-flight meal be served during the five-hour trip.

“They cancelled our flight based on presumptions and thus other companies followed their steps.”

Awad said his group is “working tirelessly to get everyone back home safely as quickly as we can.”

The Canadian Press interviewed one group member stranded in Mexico who said she had tested positive for COVID-19 and estimated that as many as 30 other members of the group had also been infected.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Presse Canadienne contributed to this report.
1641551375363.png

• Wow

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Among those looking for a way home is Rebecca St-Pierre, a 19-year-old student from Trois-Rivieres, Que., who said she feels abandoned, not knowing how she’ll pay for her hotel room as her stay is extended indefinitely. She said she tested positive for COVID-19 Wednesday and is now in isolation in Tulum, south of Cancun. She estimated that about 30 others on the flight have tested positive.
Natural and logical consequences.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
27 out of 130 passengers on party flight to Mexico back in Canada: Duclos

Author of the article:
Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:
Jan 07, 2022 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read •
14 Comments
An investigation was prompted when media reports were circulating of passengers behaving inappropriately on a Sunwing Airlines flight from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico.
An investigation was prompted when media reports were circulating of passengers behaving inappropriately on a Sunwing Airlines flight from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico. Photo by INSTAGRAM
Article content

OTTAWA — Federal Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says about 27 of the 130 passengers on the Sunwing party flight to Mexico have returned to Canada.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Duclos told reporters today the returning travellers were interrogated at the border, tested for COVID-19 and had their documents, including PCR test results, verified by authorities.

Videos shared online of the raucous party on a Dec. 30 Montreal-Cancun charter flight sparked anger from politicians and an investigation by Transport Canada in conjunction with the federal health and public safety departments.

Duclos says Quebec provincial police have contacted the federal government for information on the travellers, adding that information on them has been sent to the Quebec government.

The videos of the on-board party showed unmasked passengers in close proximity singing and dancing in the aisle and on seats, as some clutched bottles of liquor, snapped selfies and vaped.

The passengers aboard the Sunwing Airlines flight have become pariahs, and many were stranded after Sunwing cancelled their return flight and two other airlines — Air Transat and Air Canada — said they would refuse to carry the travellers home.

• Wow