More coyote attacks reported in Stanley Park

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The real problem isn't coyotes or people allegedly feeding coyotes.

It's the overabundance of rats.

I don't go downtown to eat. No fucking way! Clean up the rats, then coyotes staking territory and defending it will go away.

More coyote attacks in Stanley Park have been reported to the BC Conservation Officer Service.

A man suffered minor injuries after he was bitten near Second Beach along the Seawall at around 5:30 a.m. Monday.

A man suffered minor injuries after he was bitten near Second Beach along the Seawall at around 5:30 a.m. Monday.

Stanley Park coyotes take a bite out of Vancouver Triathlon

On Friday, a runner was bitten near Lost Lagoon shortly after 6 a.m. A man walking along the Seawall near the Lions Gate Bridge was bitten later that day.

Last week, organizers of the Vancouver Triathlon cancelled the run portion of the race through Stanley Park amid concerns about coyotes.

There have been approximately 40 coyote attacks in the park since December 2020, including one in July involving a two-year-old girl.

READ MORE: CSI Stanley Park? Officials borrow crime-fighting tactics in bid to solve coyote attacks

The Conservation Officer Service has urged the public to stay out of Stanley Park. Those who enter the park should use caution, particularly during dawn or dusk hours when coyotes tend to be more active.

— With files from Simon Little and The Canadian Press

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Today they are talking about removing the coyotes from the park.

The rat numbers downtown will skyrocket from bad to really fucking bad.

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Tiny dog fights off coyote in Scarborough
Macy, a Yorkie, barked and stood her ground against the coyote

Author of the article:Liz Braun
Publishing date:Jul 22, 2021 • July 22, 2021 • 3 minute read • 30 Comments
Dorothy Kwan and her 10-year-old daughter Lily on Thursday July 22, 2021. The family dog, a Yorkie named Macy, defended Lily against a coyote while on a walk near their Scarborough home on Tuesday.
Dorothy Kwan and her 10-year-old daughter Lily on Thursday July 22, 2021. The family dog, a Yorkie named Macy, defended Lily against a coyote while on a walk near their Scarborough home on Tuesday. PHOTO BY JACK BOLAND /Toronto Sun
Article content
Don’t mess with Macy.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The heroic little Yorkie stood up to a coyote this week, holding her own as the wild animal chased Macy and her owner, 10 year old Lily Kwan, when they were out for a morning walk.

Macy barked and stood her ground while Lily, terrified, ran for help in her Scarborough neighbourhood.

The coyote bit Macy, picking the tiny dog up in its jaws and shaking her, but Macy wriggled free.

When it was all over, the 10 pound Macy had multiple bite wounds and injuries and a massive veterinarian bill.

Lily’s mother, Dorothy Kwan, reported on Thursday that instead of coming home, Macy would have to stay in intensive care another day as she has now developed a fever.

It may be infection from one of the bites. She’s still expected to survive.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
A GoFundMe is raising money to pay the vet’s bill.

“She made it through surgery like a trooper,” said Kwan on Thursday of the family dog.

“We’re hoping the fever is a minor setback.”

Macy
Macy GoFundMe
Surveillance video from a neighbour’s property shows the coyote attacking Macy, and Kwan said she couldn’t look at the video at first.

Friends viewed it and told her it clearly showed Macy defending Lily.

“I thought, ‘I guess I can watch it if she put her life on the line to save my daughter.'”

Fear has been quickly followed by frustration in the Kwan household. Dorothy says she’s spoken to a dozen agencies — wildlife people, animal control, city of Toronto, the police, the Ministry of Natural Resources — and there’s nothing anyone can or will do about this particular coyote.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The animal wears a collar and has a tracking device; it’s part of a Ministry of Natural Resources study examining the habitat and behaviour of coyotes in urban areas.

The Kwans live in the St. Clair and Birchmount area, close to big green spaces and the ravine system associated with Taylor-Massey Creek. Wildlife abounds.

What’s problematic, said Kwan, “Is that the coyote is not scared of people. It’s very aggressive. It’s stalking the neighbourhood.”

Kwan knows that animals will leave if they can’t find food, but someone is feeding wildlife in her area, possibly unwittingly.

She has no idea who it could be.

“We’re all so scared! Nobody wants to go for a walk. The kids don’t want to ride their bikes. No one allows their kids to walk the dog now. Lily doesn’t even want to walk to her grandparents’ house now.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“They live a block away from us.”

Kwan was literally sick with worry for her daughter over the incident and hasn’t gone to work since Tuesday.

She purchased pepper spray and is looking into a special coyote vest for her dog — it has spikes on it to keep the predator from biting. She wonders about taking a walking stick when she goes out with the dog.

“I just wish I knew who to call. Even when a coyote does something aggressive like this, they still refuse to do something. I’m not suggesting we get rid of all coyotes, but this one is out and about in broad daylight and it’s not scared of humans.”

With any luck, the coyote will be scared of Macy if they meet again.

“She is one feisty, crazy dog,” said Kwan, who adds that they jokingly call her ‘Killer Macy’ because she’s so fierce.

“She’s a rescue. She’s not keen on being nice to people or other dogs but she will protect our family over everything. She wouldn’t back down.

“I just hope my dog will come home soon.”
1630519995502.png

Reactions: petros

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'COMPLETELY HELPLESS': Coyote mauls dog to death in Markham
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Publishing date:Aug 28, 2021 • 3 days ago • 2 minute read • 9 Comments
wild coyote in suburban backyard
wild coyote in suburban backyard Getty Images
Article content
An Ajax woman watched in horror after a coyote snatched her dog and mauled it to death.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Maria Ferrante lives in Ajax but had spent the last three weeks at Southlake Regional Health Centre undergoing cancer treatment.

Her son, who lives in Markham, was taking her home but they stopped off at his house in the area of Parkway Ave. and Sir Bedevere Pl. — northeast of Hwy. 7 and Main St. N. — to drop something off.

Ferrante figured it would be safe to let her six-year-old pooch, Cici, out for a pee and soon heard “yelling and screaming,” she told CTV News.

“That’s when I saw the coyote and he had Cici hanging from his mouth,” Ferrante recalled. “The dog then started running down the street with Cici.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Coyote on the grounds of Brookside Youth Centre on Thursday September 28, 2017 in Cobourg, Ont.
BRAUN: Illegal feeding of wild animals puts Scarborough coyote's life in jeopardy
The Scarborough coyote
Scarborough coyote will be relocated to Muskoka animal sanctuary

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The coyote reportedly released Cici from its jaws in a neighbour’s backyard but she was dead when they found her.

“He left her in the backyard and took off,” Ferrante said, adding no one was able to catch the coyote.

Cici had helped Ferrante after she received her terminal diagnosis and she now feels completely lost without her.

“I have suffered depression for so many years. She basically stayed in bed with me for so many years, being my companion,” Ferrante said. “Everyone just adored Cici.”

Ferrante told CP24 that a coyote had been spotted in the area and hasn’t shown any fear when it comes to humans.

According to Markham Animal Services, coyotes are unlikely to initiate contact with people but can occasionally “get too close for comfort.”

Coyotes typically dislike loud, abrupt noise so if one does come near, they suggest clapping your hands, waving your arms, yelling and generally making a ruckus.

They also advise that the best way to prevent encounters is to not feed them, stash your trash in a secure container, and not to leave small pets outdoors unattended.

In Ferrante’s case, the tragic incident happened so quickly, she couldn’t react and felt “completely helpless” as she watched the coyote run off with her beloved dog.

dwilford@postmedia.com

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Solution:

Hire someone with appropriate skill, arm him with a 12 ga shotgun, loaded with lead #2 shot, and let him shoot every coyote he sees. Close the park at night, let him bait and jacklight them.

Won't be long before the survivors are avoiding humans like the plague.

Problem solved............until the next time.

In the wild, you are either to be feared, or a potential lunch.

I prefer the former.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Solution:

Hire someone with appropriate skill, arm him with a 12 ga shotgun, loaded with lead #2 shot, and let him shoot every coyote he sees. Close the park at night, let him bait and jacklight them. Won't be long before the survivors are avoiding humans like the plague.
There's a local sharpshooter the city hires who regularly 'neutralises' Coyotes there was even some info about him a while back IIRC he uses some flat shooting rifle maybe a .223 so there's no risk of bullets going astray.

Why hasn't he been hired for this job?

Because it's the Parks Board and they are a notoriously stupid inefficient bunch much given to writing letters and little else.

I can't wait until one of these Coyotes decides to take a nip out of a police horse (their stables are in the park) that would end in a blaze of gunfire I'm sure.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Solution:

Hire someone with appropriate skill, arm him with a 12 ga shotgun, loaded with lead #2 shot, and let him shoot every coyote he sees. Close the park at night, let him bait and jacklight them.

Won't be long before the survivors are avoiding humans like the plague.

Problem solved............until the next time.

In the wild, you are either to be feared, or a potential lunch.

I prefer the former.
It doesn't solve the rat problem that attracted them to the park in the first place.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It doesn't solve the rat problem that attracted them to the park in the first place.
Who says it’s a rat problem . Shit those coyotes are trying to kill and eat humans . I say there are human remains somewhere in the park that the coyotes feasted on and are now looking for more . One two hundred pound male provides a week for the family . Notice the reports of the bites going to the tendons an injured prey is dead prey .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Who says it’s a rat problem . Shit those coyotes are trying to kill and eat humans . I say there are human remains somewhere in the park that the coyotes feasted on and are now looking for more . One two hundred pound male provides a week for the family . Notice the reports of the bites going to the tendons an injured prey is dead prey .
It's rats. Go downtown and sit and watch them scurry around. It's gross.