Catherine McKenna retiring from politics, creates possible opening for Mark Carney

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Catherine McKenna retiring from politics, creates possible opening for Mark Carney
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Joan Bryden
Publishing date:Jun 27, 2021 • 9 minutes ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna, MP for Ottawa Centre, is expected to announce that she will not run for re-election, on Monday, June 28, 2021.
Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna, MP for Ottawa Centre, is expected to announce that she will not run for re-election, on Monday, June 28, 2021. PHOTO BY JEAN LEVAC /Ottawa Citizen / Postmedia Network
Article content
OTTAWA — Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna has decided not to seek re-election.

Her surprise decision opens up some prime political real estate that could become a launching pad for former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney should he decide to run for the Liberals in the next election.

McKenna has held Ottawa Centre, a riding that encompasses Parliament Hill, since 2015, when she wrestled it away from the New Democrats.

Carney has not committed to running but promised in April, during his political debut at the Liberal party’s virtual convention, to do whatever he can to support the party.

McKenna is to hold a news conference Monday to announce her decision to stand down in the next election, but an advance copy of her remarks was obtained Sunday by The Canadian Press.

“When I got into politics now eight years ago, I made two simple promises to myself: always fight for what I believe in and leave when I had done what I got into politics to do,” the speech reads.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
She says she wants to spend more time with her three children and devote her professional energies to the fight against climate change.

“Like many Canadians, living through COVID-19 over a very long year, made me step back and reflect on what matters to me most. And it’s two things: my kids and climate change.”

McKenna informed Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of her decision on Sunday. She has offered to continue serving as Infrastructure minister until an election is called.

All parties profess not to want to head to the polls during the pandemic, but all are feverishly gearing up for one as Trudeau increasingly seems to be setting the stage for pulling the plug on his minority government this summer.

As Trudeau’s environment minister during his first mandate, McKenna stick-handled the introduction of the Liberal government’s national climate change action plan, which included imposing a price on carbon emissions.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The carbon price — or “tax” as it is called by the Conservatives — was bitterly opposed by provincial governments in Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan, who challenged its constitutionality in court. The Supreme Court ruled in March that it is constitutional.

McKenna became a lightning rod for opposition to the climate plan, enduring misogynistic slurs and threats on social media and in graffiti scrawled on her constituency office. Police were called in to investigate last summer after someone yelled obscenities at one of McKenna’s staffers, video of which was posted to social media.

In the text of her remarks for Monday’s announcement, McKenna specifically addresses young girls who are thinking about whether politics is for them.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“Do it. And when you do it, don’t be afraid to run like a girl. I’ll be there cheering you on,” she says.

“Get into politics to do something, never to be something. There’s a lot to dislike about this business but you can make a bigger difference in the lives of more people than you can anywhere else.”

Trudeau moved McKenna to the infrastructure post following the 2019 election. The move, among other things, put her in charge of funding green projects aimed at helping Canada meet its emission reduction targets.

But it seems McKenna has missed being at the heart of the climate change fight.

“This is a critical year for climate action in the most important decade that will decide whether we can save the only planet we have,” she says in explaining her decision not to seek re-election.

“I want to spend my working hours helping to make sure that we do.”

• Love
Reactions: Twin_Moose

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Canada and Quebec invest in water infrastructure to provide reliable services and restart the economy

News release​

Montreal, Quebec, August 20, 2020 —The governments of Canada and Quebec are taking decisive action to support community needs by investing in green infrastructure projects in all regions of Quebec. Providing communities with modern and reliable water infrastructure is a shared priority for both governments.
Today, the Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and Andrée Laforest, Quebec’s Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, announced joint funding contributions of over $637.8 million for 280 drinking water, storm water and wastewater projects in municipalities throughout Quebec. These projects include the rehabilitation of existing water pipes, pumping stations and water treatment facilities as well as the construction of new facilities.

Quick facts​

• Through the Investing in Canada infrastructure plan, the Government of Canada is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities
  • As part of the Investing in Canada Plan, the Government of Canada has invested $6.2 billion in 778 infrastructure projects in Québec.
  • $1 billion of this funding is supporting green infrastructure in Québec, including water, wastewater and storm water system upgrades.
  • To support Canadians and communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, a new stream has been added to the over $33-billion Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program to help fund pandemic-resilient infrastructure. Existing program streams have also been adapted to include more eligible project categories.
  • The COVID-19 Resilience Stream will help other orders of governments whose finances have been significantly impacted by the pandemic by increasing the federal cost share for public infrastructure projects.
  • The Canada Healthy Communities Initiative will provide up to $31 million in existing federal funding to support communities as they develop innovative ways to adapt spaces and services to respond to immediate and ongoing needs arising from COVID-19 over the next two years.
  • The Fonds pour l’infrastructure municipale d’eau (FIMEAU) aims to carry out the construction, rehabilitation, expansion and addition to municipal water and wastewater infrastructure. It consists of a total investment of $1.5 billion. This work will allow the continuity of municipal services and the upgrade of water and wastewater systems to regulatory standards. Two more project submission periods are planned for 2022 and 2024.
  • The Plan québécois des infrastructures 2020-2030 provides for investments of nearly $7.5 billion for municipal infrastructure, under the Municipal Affairs and Housing department (MAMH).

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020

Canada and Quebec invest in water infrastructure to provide reliable services and restart the economy

News release​

Montreal, Quebec, August 20, 2020 —The governments of Canada and Quebec are taking decisive action to support community needs by investing in green infrastructure projects in all regions of Quebec. Providing communities with modern and reliable water infrastructure is a shared priority for both governments.
Today, the Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and Andrée Laforest, Quebec’s Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, announced joint funding contributions of over $637.8 million for 280 drinking water, storm water and wastewater projects in municipalities throughout Quebec. These projects include the rehabilitation of existing water pipes, pumping stations and water treatment facilities as well as the construction of new facilities.

Quick facts​

• Through the Investing in Canada infrastructure plan, the Government of Canada is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities
  • As part of the Investing in Canada Plan, the Government of Canada has invested $6.2 billion in 778 infrastructure projects in Québec.
  • $1 billion of this funding is supporting green infrastructure in Québec, including water, wastewater and storm water system upgrades.
  • To support Canadians and communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, a new stream has been added to the over $33-billion Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program to help fund pandemic-resilient infrastructure. Existing program streams have also been adapted to include more eligible project categories.
  • The COVID-19 Resilience Stream will help other orders of governments whose finances have been significantly impacted by the pandemic by increasing the federal cost share for public infrastructure projects.
  • The Canada Healthy Communities Initiative will provide up to $31 million in existing federal funding to support communities as they develop innovative ways to adapt spaces and services to respond to immediate and ongoing needs arising from COVID-19 over the next two years.
  • The Fonds pour l’infrastructure municipale d’eau (FIMEAU) aims to carry out the construction, rehabilitation, expansion and addition to municipal water and wastewater infrastructure. It consists of a total investment of $1.5 billion. This work will allow the continuity of municipal services and the upgrade of water and wastewater systems to regulatory standards. Two more project submission periods are planned for 2022 and 2024.
  • The Plan québécois des infrastructures 2020-2030 provides for investments of nearly $7.5 billion for municipal infrastructure, under the Municipal Affairs and Housing department (MAMH).
$180 billion over 12 years? What year did that start or is that the new plan?

Pandemic-resilient infrastructure is what you need in the title to get a grant.

Helping other orders of government whose finances have been impacted is a bit vague.

$31 million to support communities as they develop innovative ways to adapt spaces and respond to ongoing needs? Who writes this shit?

Might as well have a meeting to kill the rest of the day.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
She was an extremely disingenuous person who made patently false claims about Climate Change. She is an ideologue who believes her own press. Having said this, she's not the only one - her government is just as guilty and ignorant of what the consequences are of having the EU and/or the UN dictate to us about our environment which, looking out my window, it pretty freakin nice!! She also seems to believe that CO2 is a pollutant so I would suggest she stop breathing LOL.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Helping other orders of government whose finances have been impacted is a bit vague.

$31 million to support communities as they develop innovative ways to adapt spaces and respond to ongoing needs? Who writes this shit?

All this so called infrastructure money is not available for important things like fire halls but I bet you could get a ton of it to provide clean drugs for junkies.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Montreal, Quebec, August 20, 2020

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
She was an extremely disingenuous person who made patently false claims about Climate Change. She is an ideologue who believes her own press. Having said this, she's not the only one - her government is just as guilty and ignorant of what the consequences are of having the EU and/or the UN dictate to us about our environment which, looking out my window, it pretty freakin nice!! She also seems to believe that CO2 is a pollutant so I would suggest she stop breathing LOL.
Perfect Liberal all virtue signal with no accountability

Reactions: Dixie Cup