Canada, the Land of the Self-Privileged and the Pussies and Wimps Who Allow it.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So anyway, about 2 1/2 years ago a young couple moved into the apartment unit above ours. They have a little kid who is more than a little rambunctious. In fact, for the last 2 1/2 years we have been treated to a near daily cacophony of running, jumping, stomping and banging on the floor for hours on end. I've made it pretty clear in no uncertain terms that it needs to stop. It hasn't. We called the cops, they said to call the by-law office. We called them and they told us "you can't tell people how to raise their kids". Well bullshit because there's an entire govt agency dedicated to that very f*cking thing. After another week of it I called the cops again to put in a harassment complaint. When I gave them the details they said, "We can't tell people how to raise their kids". I mean seriously man, it's like living under a wrestling school with a herd of bison stampeding through it for hours on end.
Since then we got a new property manager. I complained to him about the noise and got the same response. The former Board of Directors just ignored the complaint altogether. He then went on to say that city by-laws permit noise for any reason apparently, between 8AM and 11PM. That's when the light bulb clicked on, You see, this new property manager moved in next door to us. So I informed him that the moment that little shit upstairs starts his racket and goes for more than 30 seconds, I'll be playing a closet door bongo solo and it won't just be for a few seconds, I'll pound away on the f*cker until I get tired. Why that's effective is the closet door in mention is RIGHT beside the wall between our units so he'll get to hear it too.
The thing is, I'm not really doing it to be an asshole. I'm doing it to send a message upstairs that I can out-noise their little bastard any day of week and also to give the new property manager an idea of what the f*ck we've been putting up with for 2 1/2 years.

What's really sad is there's a huge courtyard where the kids play all the time. The only time I've seen the kid upstairs outside is going to or from a vehicle. What's even sadder is his parent can't be bothered taking him outside because they spend far too much time with their faces in a bottle. And based on the other smells that come from up there, they're also smoking something that ain't weed, or else manufacturing it. It's hard to describe the smell. It's like an odour of stale root beer with a chemical "tang" to it that you can almost taste in the back of your mouth.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Find their phone number....It may be hard with everyone these days using cell phones, but still doable .
And start calling them in the middle of the night!

I had a neighbour years ago who's dog would bark all day. It didn't bother me too much except when I was night shift
It woke me up often when I complained, I got a similar answer that you got, that you can't complain about the noise during daylight hours.

What I did was call them from work when I was working night and tell them your dog is barking!
Since a call from a factory like that can't be traced it couldn't be proved that I was doing it!
It didn't take long that the dog had an anti-bark collar....;)

Another tip for those working nights and get bothered by people knocking on the door.....

Buy a door bell button.............Just the button...don't connect it to anything!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I feel for you, but that's what happens when you rent instead of buy a home.....just sayin"
Well renting is what you do when you're physically unable to maintain your own home....just sayin'. And no, this isn't what happens when you rent. It's what happens when society breaks down and people just don't give a f*ck about anyone but themselves. This isn't my first rodeo and owning a home isn't all that it's cracked up to be either. Last time I owned a home I had a problem with assholes parking across my driveway and even IN my driveway. So no, it's not about renting, it's definitely society acting like it's a f*ckng free-for-all out there.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
December 2015 a text from me to my brother after a 4.7 quake went something like this;

Me: Did you feel the quake? I though a bus hit my building at first.

Him: That was a quake? I thought it was the fat kid upstairs playing another round of Kung fu bowling

Yeah, that fat little girl was equivalent to a 4.7

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Update: Finally read the riot act to the by-law office and they must have got a hold of my neighbours above me because other than the kind of noise I'd expect from time to time with a little kid living above me, it's been pretty damn quiet up there for the most part for the last 2-3 weeks. And I mean funeral home quiet.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Update: Finally read the riot act to the by-law office and they must have got a hold of my neighbours above me because other than the kind of noise I'd expect from time to time with a little kid living above me, it's been pretty damn quiet up there for the most part for the last 2-3 weeks. And I mean funeral home quiet.
Holidays .