Survey Shows People No Longer Believe Working Hard Will Lead To A Better Life

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Survey Shows People No Longer Believe Working Hard Will Lead To A Better Life​

View attachment 9121

They will when a big Pacific volcano pops and we lose one maybe even 2 crop years globally.

They'll kill each other for a half rotten greenhouse tomato.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Laki an Icelandic volcano popped in June 8, 1783 and changed history.

From 1783 to 1785 accounts from both Japan and America describe terrible droughts, exceptional cold winters, and disastrous floods. In Europe, the exceptionally hot summer of 1783 was followed by long and harsh winters. The resulting crop failures may have triggered one of the most famous insurrections of starving people in history, the French Revolution of 1789-1799.

Reactions: taxslave

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
This is where capitalist democracies are failing. I firmly believe that capitalism is an inherent right. You should be free to pursue wealth. However, like any other right there needs to be reasonable limits. The pursuit of wealth shouldn't permit the destruction of someone's life, or people's lives, in order to obtain said wealth. I mean how is that any better than the old fiefdoms ruled by decrepit, corrupt, greedy lords and monarchs?
On the other hand, it's funny how people cry about CEO's making 10's of millions of dollars a year but don't bat an eye when Mookie Betts scores a $325 million contract to play baseball. Over the twelve years of his contract it works out to $27 million per year or $167,000 per game, assuming a normal 162 game season. Think about that. He's getting $167K a game to stand and sit around to play a f*cking game and that's not including any endorsements. But $20 million or so a year for a CEO to run a large company is just beyond the goddam pale apparently.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
This is where capitalist democracies are failing. I firmly believe that capitalism is an inherent right. You should be free to pursue wealth. However, like any other right there needs to be reasonable limits. The pursuit of wealth shouldn't permit the destruction of someone's life, or people's lives, in order to obtain said wealth. I mean how is that any better than the old fiefdoms ruled by decrepit, corrupt, greedy lords and monarchs?
On the other hand, it's funny how people cry about CEO's making 10's of millions of dollars a year but don't bat an eye when Mookie Betts scores a $325 million contract to play baseball. Over the twelve years of his contract it works out to $27 million per year or $167,000 per game, assuming a normal 162 game season. Think about that. He's getting $167K a game to stand and sit around to play a f*cking game and that's not including any endorsements. But $20 million or so a year for a CEO to run a large company is just beyond the goddam pale apparently.
They sell it as a game but it is a business and yes it is a superficial priority of our generation.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But superstars are important. The people that make sure there is food in the stores, medicine in hospitals and gas in your car, not so much.

Richardson Bobby

Business Solutions Expert and a DIYer
Jun 15, 2021
Florida

Survey Shows People No Longer Believe Working Hard Will Lead To A Better Life​

View attachment 9121

Totally wrong. People might lose hope in hardwork at times, but everyone knows the fact. There is no shortcut to better life than working hard till we get there.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I could never get a handle on why athletes would be worth so much money! To me, no one is worth $325 million dollars playing a game. I think it's disgusting and extremely greedy of both athletes and the owners of said businesses. That's why ticket prices are such that no one can afford to go anymore and those that do are either rich themselves or sacrifice all year to be able to afford to go. Personally, I find baseball boring to watch - love playing it, but won't watch it.

While I agree CEO's make a lot of money, at least there's a reason for it - the responsibilities that go with the position. However, I think that many CEO's are vastly over paid, especially considering they're often entitled to bonuses and stock options in addition to their salary. That, to me, is greed, pure and simple.

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
I would say people no longer believe taking risks is the path to a better life.

Growing up there were many small businesses / sole proprietorships and people that did different things. Now 30% work in public service and Walmart / Amazon look after the retail world. The most common jobs in Canada are truck driving and retail sales.

Six weeks vacation after 5 years and not taking the job home at night to wonder how the next day will go are big incentives. We suffer from an attraction to superficial priorities and think money is important. Dead end no doubt, but money to spend once your there.

Reactions: petros

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
In today’s environment I think you have to combine working smarter with working strategically to get ahead.