Food for Thought.... 🤔

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Interestingly enough, periods of climate instability are what also helped human evolution along. Every leap forward in the evolution of the human species was preceded by dramatic shifts in climate.
That is quite true.

Tell ya what, Jin. I'd like to find a way back with you. Always had respect for you.

Can we agree on this part? "The future of energy will involve a mixture of techniques: wind, solar, hydro, tidal, nuclear (fission and fusion), ideas that are now only theoretical like zero-point energy, and at least for the foreseeable future, petro and coal. The smart people will balance cost, durability, pollution, the demands of the free market, and the power of government regulation to try to come up with the best, cheapest, and most painless-in-transition mix."

How's that sound?

Reactions: JLM and Mowich

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep, it's survived far worse than anything that's happening right now. Read up on the great Permian extinction event, for instance, something like 90% of species snuffed it in that one. The Earth will be fine. We may not be.
According to the timeline, we're due for another extinction event. Some folk say we're currently in the middle of one.

Larry Niven says that we won't quite until there are two species on the planet: us and the yeast we eat.

Note of warning: any ecologist would agree that we're due for a die-back.

Reactions: Mowich

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not really. Those that actually work are usually shunned and either have to not work or find a different career.
I don't know. Canada may be different. But I worked for the government for a while (after I left the military), and I found the people to be dedicated to doing good work, but not obsessive about it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
According to the timeline, we're due for another extinction event. Some folk say we're currently in the middle of one.

Larry Niven says that we won't quite until there are two species on the planet: us and the yeast we eat.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't know. Canada may be different. But I worked for the government for a while (after I left the military), and I found the people to be dedicated to doing good work, but not obsessive about it.
During my 35 year tenure I found a lot like that, sadly in later years a few were just along for the ride which screwed up things for a lot of people. I expect there will always be people who expect something for nothing! You find them in the private sector too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I HAVE been wondering if Covid 19 isn't part of Mother Nature's plan to reduce the population. She does MAINLY seem to select the old and the weak. It was reported on the news this morning that life expectancy in the U.S. has decreased by one year!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think you may be open to an argument there, if what you are saying is people don't have an impact on the earth.
I am simply pointing out that the argument "The Earth will survive" does not mean humanity will survive nor does it matter how many humans are on the earth.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have talked to a lot of people who came from government and now work for my company. They were more than happy to share their experience.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
That is quite true.

Tell ya what, Jin. I'd like to find a way back with you. Always had respect for you.

Can we agree on this part? "The future of energy will involve a mixture of techniques: wind, solar, hydro, tidal, nuclear (fission and fusion), ideas that are now only theoretical like zero-point energy, and at least for the foreseeable future, petro and coal. The smart people will balance cost, durability, pollution, the demands of the free market, and the power of government regulation to try to come up with the best, cheapest, and most painless-in-transition mix."

How's that sound?
Couldn't agree more. Except wind, Wind is no good if you want commercial scale power generation that's reliable. Other than that, what you said is pretty much what the experts in the field of power generation are saying.
I have no problem with cleaning up our act. What I DO have a problem with is when so-called intelligent humans knee-jerk solutions to what they call a serious problem. Rushing to eliminate fossil fuels and forcing everyone onto unreliable power sources like solar and wind as quickly as humanly possible is a knee-jerk solution.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Couldn't agree more. Except wind, Wind is no good if you want commercial scale power generation that's reliable. Other than that, what you said is pretty much what the experts in the field of power generation are saying.
I have no problem with cleaning up our act. What I DO have a problem with is when so-called intelligent humans knee-jerk solutions to what they call a serious problem. Rushing to eliminate fossil fuels and forcing everyone onto unreliable power sources like solar and wind as quickly as humanly possible is a knee-jerk solution.
Sure. The "shut down fossil NOW" lefties are just as bad as the "Fossil forever!" righties.

Wind has a role. It'll never be sole source unless we get a superconducting transmission grid, but it can provide more or less of the load depending on the breeze.

I do some work with communications satellites. If satellites can frequency-hop hundreds of times per second to avoid mutual interference, surely a computer system can integrate the input of less than a dozen sources to meet the need.

We just need fewer True Believers and more engineers.

• Wow
Reactions: B00Mer