End the Lockdown

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Well that is almost the opposite of what I see and read . The news media’s bias is as much about what isn’t reported on as much as the truthfulness of that which is .
I use a site called mediabiasfactcheck.com as my go-to for ratings on honesty and bias. CBC News rates "left-center" for bias and "high" for factual reporting. Global News gets the same scores. CTV rates "least biased" with a "high" rating for factual reporting. As I said, if you are aware of a source's political bias ahead of time you can use that knowledge to "filter" what you see and read. I would like to see a right-center national TV news source, but that hasn't happened yet. If there was, and they could maintain an equally high rating for factual reporting, I would have no complaint against them receiving government funding, fair is fair.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Your fact check site is not very factual. CBC is far left for bias and not very high on factual reporting. They score near zero when you include errors of omission or not reporting any negative news about their main source of revenue.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Your fact check site is not very factual. CBC is far left for bias and not very high on factual reporting. They score near zero when you include errors of omission or not reporting any negative news about their main source of revenue.
What source are you using ? I've found mediabiasfactcheck to be pretty reliable.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
News sites that are not paid by the Liberal Party.
That's rather cagey of you. I take it to mean your ratings of the CBC are based on your personal opinion. Mediabiasfactcheck is a one-man operation that occasionally has volunteer help. He has a full time job in Health Sciences, his income from the factcheck site comes from automated banner ads and private donations. He is not a journalist although he does have a Communications Degree. He is located in Greensboro, North Carolina, and to my knowledge is not associated with the Liberal Party.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I use a site called mediabiasfactcheck.com as my go-to for ratings on honesty and bias. CBC News rates "left-center" for bias and "high" for factual reporting. Global News gets the same scores. CTV rates "least biased" with a "high" rating for factual reporting. As I said, if you are aware of a source's political bias ahead of time you can use that knowledge to "filter" what you see and read. I would like to see a right-center national TV news source, but that hasn't happened yet. If there was, and they could maintain an equally high rating for factual reporting, I would have no complaint against them receiving government funding, fair is fair.
CTV use to be right of center before they conglomerated to large urban centers to cut costs

Reactions: Danbones

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So would you have a problem with sites like Rebel Media and True North receiving government funding ? Or maybe the Tyee or Georgia Straight ?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
So would you have a problem with sites like Rebel Media and True North receiving government funding ? Or maybe the Tyee or Georgia Straight ?
We have a government funded left leaning source, I'd have no problem with an equally reputable source that leans to the right. But there would still be a requirement for a high degree of journalistic ethics. I don't know much about True North, but I can't see Rebel News qualifying, they lack anything even close to professionalism, and they are tiny. The Tyee and Georgia Straight are both pretty small scale operations as well, and tend to stray too far from center for my taste. They will latch on to an issue with such fervor that the temptation to play fast and loose with the truth occasionally gets the better of them. Postmedia has been on a pretty aggressive growth program for some years now, maybe they would be a good candidate. They certainly have the resources.

Rockybird 1949

Nominee Member
Jan 2, 2021
Abbotsford BC Canada
We have a government funded left leaning source, I'd have no problem with an equally reputable source that leans to the right. But there would still be a requirement for a high degree of journalistic ethics. I don't know much about True North, but I can't see Rebel News qualifying, they lack anything even close to professionalism, and they are tiny. The Tyee and Georgia Straight are both pretty small scale operations as well, and tend to stray too far from center for my taste. They will latch on to an issue with such fervor that the temptation to play fast and loose with the truth occasionally gets the better of them. Postmedia has been on a pretty aggressive growth program for some years now, maybe they would be a good candidate. They certainly have the resources.
We need a Canadian version of CNN
Just kidding :)

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
And your chosen ones don’t, remember Duffy ?

Reactions: taxslave

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
No...but they do respect panty lines...
;)
they are something those buggers look up too.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So tiny media outlets don’t deserve government funding because they only reach a small audience , but large publicly traded companies deserve government funding because they are Torontocentric and reach a large audience . Gotcha .

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
So tiny media outlets don’t deserve government funding because they only reach a small audience , but large publicly traded companies deserve government funding because they are Torontocentric and reach a large audience . Gotcha .
I'm speaking hypothetically here, why not have a publicly funded news outlet on both sides of the political spectrum. The right is always crying to get rid of the CBC, why not level the playing field and give them an outlet they don't have to cry about ? You could even split CBC down the middle and have CBC Left and CBC Right ? It's stupid to think that every little backwater outlet should be in line for government funding, they're a business let them survive on their own. You'd need an outlet large enough to take on the load of being a national voice and that leaves "tiny media outlets" out of the running. A new right-leaning public outlet would have be completely funded by public funds. Being independent of pressure from shareholders is what public radio is all about, not having to be ratings whores and free to report as they will. The important thing is credibility. Lots of Conservatives criticize the CBC because of their editorial opinions, but they report the news truthfully. I'd be okay with one equally credible national outlet that leaned to the right. The key word there is credible.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm speaking hypothetically here, why not have a publicly funded news outlet on both sides of the political spectrum. The right is always crying to get rid of the CBC, why not level the playing field and give them an outlet they don't have to cry about ? You could even split CBC down the middle and have CBC Left and CBC Right ? It's stupid to think that every little backwater outlet should be in line for government funding, they're a business let them survive on their own. You'd need an outlet large enough to take on the load of being a national voice and that leaves "tiny media outlets" out of the running. A new right-leaning public outlet would have be completely funded by public funds. Being independent of pressure from shareholders is what public radio is all about, not having to be ratings whores and free to report as they will. The important thing is credibility. Lots of Conservatives criticize the CBC because of their editorial opinions, but they report the news truthfully. I'd be okay with one equally credible national outlet that leaned to the right. The key word there is credible.
Why not allow publicly traded companies to sink or swim without government assistance?