At least 2,250 of Canada’s veterans are homeless due to alcoholism, drugs and mental

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
PTSD is not limited to veterans. Transgenerational trauma is a real factor too. For this reason we should also consider the children of veterans, firefighters, police officers, paramedics, etc.

Not only can the behaviour of PTSD sufferers affect their children, but their colleagues too.

I remember reading a case a few years ago of a Canadian army therapist in Afghanistan. He'd never seen combat and always remained far from the front lines. His job naturally involved dealing with PTSD sufferers on a regular basis, day in, day out.

Though his medical training had taught him about transgenerational trauma, he somehow thought it couldn't happen to him. He'd come back from Afghanistan suffering PTSD. He said in spite of the fact that his education should have caused him to expect it, it still took him by surprise.

Deleted? Sorry, I don't get it.

Sorry the red was a mistake. :)

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I can't comment on other Provinces but Ontario made a big mistake years ago by closing the psychiatric facilities. It is those closings that are responsible for so many mentally ill on the streets.
The psychiatric hospitals provided timely and accurate diagnoses, safety and effective treatment for those with mental problems. When the patients were turned out there was no more monitoring of medications and no regular psychological counceling. The patients were basically on their own and unable to cope or make reasonable decisions.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I can't comment on other Provinces but Ontario made a big mistake years ago by closing the psychiatric facilities. It is those closings that are responsible for so many mentally ill on the streets.
The psychiatric hospitals provided timely and accurate diagnoses, safety and effective treatment for those with mental problems. When the patients were turned out there was no more monitoring of medications and no regular psychological counceling. The patients were basically on their own and unable to cope or make reasonable decisions.

and that has what to do with the op. It is concerning Canada's veterans. You know, the ones that you support sending overseas to fight and die to support your blood lust.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

They did that with "good intentions", too, the idea being that mental patients were being stripped of their dignity in institutions and that freedom is preferable. I wonder has much dignity is left to you after sleeping on sidewalks in cardboard boxes and still you are mentally ill?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sorry, I can't help you with reading comprehension.:-(

What you posted has NOTHING to do with the fact that government and veteran affairs has dropped the ball when it comes to support for returning vets. You, it appears, don't give a rats a$$ about that and just want to dump them in with the general public. I see you really don't have much respect for those that have given everything at your behest.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
They did that with "good intentions", too, the idea being that mental patients were being stripped of their dignity in institutions and that freedom is preferable. I wonder has much dignity is left to you after sleeping on sidewalks in cardboard boxes and still you are mentally ill?

Yes that was the biggest part of their story but they said it would save money too.
Well it didn't save any money and they were wrong about patients stripped of their dignity in institutions. Patients feel secure when they are under professional care. It is when they are released that they feel insecure, helpless and frightened.
Sometimes it only takes a few weeks or months in a psychiatric institution to set someone on the right path. Those who do not respond to treatment are better off and happier institutionalized permanently, perhaps with day passes.
I did some nursing in a private psychiatric hospital where most of the patients were recovering from addictions and the recovery rate was high when the patients were closely supervised and councelled.
Unfortunately, not many addicts have families with the resources to pay for private care.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Good question. Could be a lot of reasons (it could even be no reason, as trying to get accurate numbers are difficult). PTSD, military culture are two that stand out. PTSD probably isnt the only reason as there doesn't seem to be a big problem with homeless police, nurses or volunteer firefighters. Anyways, my point is that regardless of whether a homeless person is a veteran of the military or a car salesman, we can't do much for people that aren't willing to help themselves.

The military is not the only stressful career.

Well, despite what people are "ragging" on you about Cannuck, you are absolutely correct about people with mental health and addiction issues. You can have all the services you want but if they are not willing to accept them, you can't force them which is all you tried to say. You didn't disparage the military - you stated a fact.

I challenge those who are giving you a hard time to go up to a street person, a druggy or an alcoholic and tell them that they have to go into a shelter of some sort or to "clean up" right now! Bet it won't happen UNLESS they are willing to actually do it.

Honestly, some people here....read into things that haven't been said.

JMHO

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
and that has what to do with the op. It is concerning Canada's veterans. You know, the ones that you support sending overseas to fight and die to support your blood lust.

"Blood lust"!?!

Speak for yourself, cookie.