There Goes America

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
a little something for the fly-by-night cheer troll flaggots:
On Friday my phone was blowing up with messages, asking if I'd seen the news. Some expressed disbelief at the headlines. Many said they were crying.

None of them were talking about the dozens of people gunned down in Sousse, Tunisia, by a man who, dressed as a tourist, had hidden his Kalashnikov inside a beach umbrella. Not one was crying over the beheading in a terrorist attack at a chemical factory near Lyon, France. The victim's head was found on a pike near the factory, his body covered with Arabic inscriptions. And no Facebook friends mentioned the first suicide bombing in Kuwait in more than two decades, in which 27 people were murdered in one of the oldest Shiite mosques in the country.

They were talking about the only news that mattered: gay marriage.

Unlike President Obama, I have always been a staunch supporter of gay marriage, and I cheered the Supreme Court's ruling making gay marriage legal in all 50 states. But as happy as I was, I was equally upset on Friday--and not just with the Islamists who carried out those savage attacks.

Moral relativism has become its own, perverse form of nativism among those who stake their identity on being universalist and progressive.

How else to explain the lack of outrage for the innocents murdered on the beach, while vitriol is heaped on those who express any shred of doubt about the Supreme Court ruling? How else to make sense of the legions of social-justice activists here at home who have nothing to say about countries where justice means flogging, beheading or stoning?

How else to understand those who have dedicated their lives to creating safe spaces for transgender people, yet issue no news releases about gender apartheid in an entire region of the world? How else to justify that at the gay-pride celebrations this weekend in Manhattan there is unlikely to be much mention of the gay men recently thrown off buildings in Syria and Iraq, their still-warm bodies desecrated by mobs?

It is increasingly eerie to live in this split-screen age. Earlier this week I received an email from a progressive Jewish organization about how Judaism teaches "that the preservation of human dignity is important enough to justify overriding our sacred mitzvot." The rest of the email was about respecting dignity by using preferred gender pronouns.

On my other computer screen, I looked at a photograph of five men in orange jumpsuits, their legs bound. They were trapped like dogs inside a metal cage and hanging above a pool of water. They were drawing their final breaths before their Islamic State captors lowered the cage into the pool and they drowned together.

What was that about human dignity?

The barbarians are at our gates. But inside our offices, schools, churches, synagogues and homes, we are posting photos of rainbows on Twitter. It's easier to Photoshop images of Justice Scalia as Voldemort than it is to stare evil in the face.

You can't get married if you're dead.
Ms. Weiss is an associate book review editor at the Journal.

Love Among the Ruins - WSJ

Just for good measure:

AUSTIN – Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton told clerks and judges in the Lone Star State they could flout the U.S. Supreme Court’s historic ruling legalizing same-sex marriage, but should expect to be sued if they refused to issue licenses or perform ceremonies.

“It is important to note that any clerk who wishes to defend their religious objections and who chooses not to issue licenses may well face litigation and/or a fine. But, numerous lawyers stand ready to assist clerks defending their religious beliefs, in many cases on a pro-bono basis, and I will do everything I can from this office to be a public voice for those standing in defense of their rights,” Paxton said in a statement.

Full statement below:

TX. Attorney General Tells Clerks & Judges They Can Ignore Supreme Court Ruling on Gay Marriage - Breaking911Breaking911

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
But you weren't just talking about polygamy, were you? You began with this:

Polygamy isn't going to prevent your imaginary hardwiring for family bloodlines to end.

Cordy,

I talk about a lot of things. Get over it.

How do you know that polygamy won't have an impact on traditional families and bloodlines?

Some people believe in helping others.

Is that the sole motivation or are there others?

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
Cordy,

How do you know that polygamy won't have an impact on traditional families and bloodlines?

Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.” Several prominent men in the Old Testament were polygamists. Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, and others all had multiple wives.

Quote: "Both candidates for the presidency owe their very existence (link is external) to polygamy (1). President Obama’s father belonged to the polygamous Luo tribe. Mitt Romney’s paternal great grandfathers moved to Mexico to continue the Mormon practice of polygamy then outlawed in the U.S. So the time is ripe to ask what advantages polygamy has over monogamy." - more

If you can afford extra wives and want to deal with the nagging.. have at'er.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.” Several prominent men in the Old Testament were polygamists. Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, and others all had multiple wives.

Quote: "Both candidates for the presidency owe their very existence (link is external) to polygamy (1). President Obama’s father belonged to the polygamous Luo tribe. Mitt Romney’s paternal great grandfathers moved to Mexico to continue the Mormon practice of polygamy then outlawed in the U.S. So the time is ripe to ask what advantages polygamy has over monogamy." - more

If you can afford extra wives and want to deal with the nagging.. have at'er.

You're using the example of Patriarchal Polygamy. I seriously doubt that is the model being contemplated by Social Liberals. In a polyandrous relationship what ties does the husband who isn't the father of the mother's child have with the child of another husband? Is his love for the child of the other husband as great as it would be for his own child with the wife?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. - Matthew 5:13

Cheer up buttercup.

There's plenty for us to all be happy about.

He also had a mommy and was his own daddy. Uncle Holy Ghost lived in the guest house out back. It was a very non-traditional family.

Cordy,

One could observe its effects in places where it is practiced.

Oh yes, we also have a deal with Satan. Helping others and fulfilling our obligations to Satan to destroy marriage and bring about the apocalypse.

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
You're using the example of Patriarchal Polygamy. I seriously doubt that is the model being contemplated by Social Liberals. In a polyandrous relationship what ties does the husband who isn't the father of the mother's child have with the child of another husband? Is his love for the child of the other husband as great as it would be for his own child with the wife?

Oh Christ look at the Western Society.. why get married.. most guys have children out of wedlock with multiple women, and vice versa, women have children from multiple fathers..

I'm not an advocate of Polygamy, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape what consenting "ADULTS" what to do in a relationship or do in the privacy of their own home.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Step Fathers.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
...One could observe its effects in places where it is practiced.

Are you referring to Patriarchal societies?

Oh yes, we also have a deal with Satan. Helping others and fulfilling our obligations to Satan to destroy marriage and bring about the apocalypse.

How about an agenda including, but not limited to, removal of tax exempt status from religious affiliated organizations which refuse to provide equal treatment to LGBT folks based on deeply held religious beliefs?

Step Fathers.

Who is more important in the eyes of a father...his own son or his step son?

Pointing out the obvious to the mentally deficient does not deserve a thumbs up. Just helping those less fortunate.

This is an anonymous message board. Words mean no more than one permits them to mean. In this context, a gratuitous attack by a stranger who will never be encountered in real life is of no importance or worth.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
a little something for the fly-by-night cheer troll flaggots:
On Friday my phone was blowing up with messages, asking if I'd seen the news. Some expressed disbelief at the headlines. Many said they were crying.

None of them were talking about the dozens of people gunned down in Sousse, Tunisia, by a man who, dressed as a tourist, had hidden his Kalashnikov inside a beach umbrella. Not one was crying over the beheading in a terrorist attack at a chemical factory near Lyon, France. The victim's head was found on a pike near the factory, his body covered with Arabic inscriptions. And no Facebook friends mentioned the first suicide bombing in Kuwait in more than two decades, in which 27 people were murdered in one of the oldest Shiite mosques in the country.

They were talking about the only news that mattered: gay marriage.

Unlike President Obama, I have always been a staunch supporter of gay marriage, and I cheered the Supreme Court's ruling making gay marriage legal in all 50 states. But as happy as I was, I was equally upset on Friday--and not just with the Islamists who carried out those savage attacks.

Moral relativism has become its own, perverse form of nativism among those who stake their identity on being universalist and progressive.

How else to explain the lack of outrage for the innocents murdered on the beach, while vitriol is heaped on those who express any shred of doubt about the Supreme Court ruling? How else to make sense of the legions of social-justice activists here at home who have nothing to say about countries where justice means flogging, beheading or stoning?

That is nothing new. People have always been more concerned with seemingly smaller issues where they live than big ones on the other side of the planet. People here are far more likely able to make changes to improve things here than they are to improve things thousands of miles away on another continent. What happens in Tunisia is Tunisia's problem. Their locals can deal with it. Whenever the west gets involved over there it only seems to make things worse or piss off more people. Take out one group or one bad guy and another pops up almost right away to take their place.

Oh Christ look at the Western Society.. why get married.. most guys have children out of wedlock with multiple women, and vice versa, women have children from multiple fathers..

Thats pretty much my view. I was born out of wedlock, my sister had kids out of wedlock. I'm planning on having a child with someone out of wedlock. You don't need marriage to make a family. If you want it, fine go for it. Personally I have no use for it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thats pretty much my view. I was born out of wedlock, my sister had kids out of wedlock. I'm planning on having a child with someone out of wedlock. You don't need marriage to make a family. If you want it, fine go for it. Personally I have no use for it.

nothing wrong with any of that, but for me it is very important for 'any' child, when they grow up to be
able to research their families, there comes a time when most people want to know who everyone was, I
know I did, I researched both sides of the family way back thru the generations, fortunately I didn't
have any step parents, it was fairly simple for me to research, but in cases of many children being
born, then years go by, one parent isn't in the picture, 'then' they want to know, they have a right
to know, so parents should make a point of recording facts concerning the 'other' parent early on, so
the information is available.