Tories take backseat to NDP and Wildrose in Alberta

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Hard to put a lot of faith in polls these days. Wasn't a WIldrose landslide predicted in the last Alberta election? And the last one in BC had the NDP in a majority government right up until the polls closed and they've been real quiet since then. It's anybody's game, gonna make for some interesting watching tonight.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are some differences here in this election. First a breakdown of issues
the NDP has the approval of all but one, polls suggest people even agree with
the NDP on a tax increase for the corporations and a review of royalties.
Seniors are concerned about medicare young people have a host of issues as
well.
There is an awakening even in Alberta. First of all I don't believe Wildrose will do
that well they are further to the right of the Tories and people are looking for a new
direction. I don't warm up to the belief the NDP will get a majority but they could
have a minority supported by the Liberals and in the beginning the Wildrose.
Don't think so? I think people should prepare themselves for change. I saw a poll
on here from the first part of the election cycle and the polls are much different now.
Think about this a tight three way race is best suited to an NDP victory the right is
splitting its vote allowing ND's to come up the middle and if the Liberals get more
than 3 seats in a close NDP minority the Tories are benched.
After forty four years its time for the Tories to go

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Petros that is a true statement that is why I won't actually predict a winner but there was a
poll done on issues and it clearly shows the NDP is seen as an alternative whether that is
transferred to votes is yet to be seen. People are not happy and the ND will capture a lot
more seats.
Here is another factor to consider. People have moved to Alberta in droves and many are
not Conservatives, then there is vote splitting on the right, the fact Liberals have gone from
3% to 9% if that vote is concentrated in pockets they could elect more than three seats.

There are a lot of facts and figures to reveal themselves tonight and the Tories are in trouble.
Wildrose is not a credible party its a movement at this point as is the Alberta Party.
People are seeking change and some basis for security that means either the Liberals or the
NDP and the Liberals don't have enough of a base to field a full set of candidates in that
province If people want enough change two solutions someone ends up with a minority or
and ND majority

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They are in Alberta. They are a moderate, viable, democratic choice. Fear doesn't persuade any longer.
Fear mongering seems to be having the opposite effect to its intended purpose. Let us hope it works on the federal level too.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Furthermore, as I am certain Petros will attest, the NDP have governed Saskatchewan well in the past (cf. Romanow, Douglas), and I am certain will again in the future.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Furthermore, as I am certain Petros will attest, the NDP have governed Saskatchewan well in the past (cf. Romanow, Douglas), and I am certain will again in the future.

They did okay. Transition from PC yto NDp yielded highest voter turn out ever second highest was from NDP to SaskParty.

Are people pissed enough to go for the shift?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Well it will be interesting to say the least. I'm hearing a lot of the same stuff here that we heard in BC in 2013. The incumbent Liberals trailed in the polls for the whole year leading up to the election, everybody was crying for change, the NDP were widely considered a shoo-in for a majority right up to the finish line. The Liberals were voted back in with a stronger majority than they had before, which came as a big surprise to everyone. The deciding factor turned out to be jobs, and the NDP made a couple of huge strategic errors that gave them a business-unfriendly look and when people went to the polls they reacted to that in spades. Sort of the same way the NDP are talking about raising corporate taxes in Alberta.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Alberta is kinda fukked up.

You think they would stop by the center on the way to the left.

Maybe the polls are just people lying to scare everyone into voting PC again lol

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Alan Blakeney did not bad too.

Sask NDP/NDP always believed in keeping their financial house in order knowing if you owe money to somebody, you can never freely do the programs you want. Not to say it will always be the case or if that applies to Alberta. I know it certainly didn't translate to Ontario in 1990.