Liberals solidifying their lead over Conservatives

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Harper's reputation on the environment is not role play.

He has made material changes to legislation that will pave the way for future governments to get away with neglect.
Did Provincial regs end? Nothing but redundancy changed and you still never answered what would be different if the Libs carried out the gateway plan instead of Harper?

Omnibus bills?

Where have you been the last 4 years?

The easily quashed omnibus bills that were election promises to appease reform weirdos?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There has always been, and there will always be, federal involvement in the environment.

No omnibus bills have been quashed (or altered for that matter) while Harper's had majority.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There has always been, and there will always be, federal involvement in the environment.

No omnibus bills have been quashed (or altered for that matter) while Harper's had majority.
An omnibus bill is a proposed law that covers a number of diverse or unrelated topics. Omnibus is derived from Latin and means "for everything". An omnibus bill is a single document that is accepted in a single vote by a legislature but packages together several measures into one or combines diverse subjects
if 9 out of 10 bills in an omnibus are quashed is it then a unibus?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
As for the Maple Leaf, it is simply a dead maple leaf on a background of nothingness, bordered by two columns of red ink. I guess a suitable symbol to be foisted upon us by a Liberal government.

Actually, red is the colour of a living maple leaf too - once all the chlorophyll (the stuff that makes it green) is gone. Quite appropriate for Harper disregard for anything environmental don'cha think?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
None of the bills are quashed because they have a majority and didn't take any of the recommendations.

Bummer eh. Lots of the bundled bills no longer exist after challenged through court, never materialized or were nothing to fear. Lots are bills were written to fail. Role play to appease.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You're right but it's highly disrespectful and very poor taste!

Disrespectful to who? Maple trees? Is that what you mean by poor taste? I get it now. Disrespecting the flag is like putting corn syrup on your pancakes.

Exactly.

I don't get the idolatry either..........

Although I certainly do have a preference for the old Canadian Red Ensign, which includes a Union Jack, symbolic of our connection to the traditions of England, English common law and constitution, and our Queen, and a shield bearing symbols of England, Ireland, Scotland, France and Canada..........
The Ensign was the symbol of Canada from 1868 to 1965, and is still flown at the Vimy Ridge Memorial. It was our flag through our three greatest wars.............including the First World War, in which we really became a nation.

I always told we became a nation in 1867 and in BC when we got that damn train Macdonald promised. I'd rather it be about trains that senseless waste of human life, the first world war. It wasn't a war fought for noble purposes and it was characterized by pointless slaughter, more so than most wars.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I always told we became a nation in 1867 and in BC when we got that damn train Macdonald promised. I'd rather it be about trains that senseless waste of human life, the first world war. It wasn't a war fought for noble purposes and it was characterized by pointless slaughter, more so than most wars.

I basically agree with your assessment of the Great War...........Europe fell into a senseless slaughter, and we were pulled in simply because of our lack of status as anything but a colony of Britain.

Which does not change the fact that we quickly became a force in the war, we punched well above our weight. We became increasingly valued by the Brits, and by the end of the war were serving as a unified Canadian Army, instead of simply a branch of Britain's military. It is no accident that by the mid 1920s complete Parliamentary equality of authority with Britain was in the works.

While I sympathize with your preference that our nationality be built on a railroad instead of a huge heap of dead bodies, the railroad was purely a domestic achievement that demonstrated nothing to the world at large, and contributed to our union, not our independence.