Olympic chat

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
[FONT=&quot]NBC did a wonderful story on the young woman who was sitting beside Putin during the opening ceremonies. I really hadn’t given her a thought but was quite touched when I heard her story.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Four years ago she was an Olympic Bobsledder when she crashed in a training run. Before they were able to get her off the track another sled came down and smashed into her. She was severely injured and for awhile not expected to live. Today she walks on crippled legs and will never compete again. She is however a shining example of the will to overcome adversity in the face of all odds. Nicely done NBC and apologies to the young Russian woman as I didn’t get her name.[/FONT]

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I know there was a lot of interest. Hockey is clearly the most popular of all Winter Olympic Events.

It is the sport, in my opinion that excites both US and Canadians the most- even those that do not follow hockey, I would say take an interest when these 2 teams play.
Best of the best.
My wife does not watch NHL hockey- But for the Olympics- right in here like a dirty shirt- Mens and Womens games.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just woke up from a much needed nap - will catch the Closing Ceremonies tonight with Ron McLean. 'Wanted to add a big thank you to Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock for a job well done and to Steve Podborski - our Chef de Mission.

I think I'm going to have my third nap since the end of the game this morning. Just watching those guys tends to tucker you out. I thought the Swedes might have a little more yump. Maybe the Finns burned them out.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I felt bad for the Women's more than the Men. The men played with as much enthusiasm as a consolation game for the Stanley Cup if there was such a thing. Actually I didn't feel bad for the men at all.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I felt bad for the Women's more than the Men. The men played with as much enthusiasm as a consolation game for the Stanley Cup if there was such a thing. Actually I didn't feel bad for the men at all.

The womens team played an exceptional game, I think they won every game up till then. But as we know, fast paced and changes in a heartbeat.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I think I'm going to have my third nap since the end of the game this morning. Just watching those guys tends to tucker you out. I thought the Swedes might have a little more yump. Maybe the Finns burned them out.

Whereas the Canadians, as Glen Healy stated ' Every line change by the Canadians is like five fighter jets being launched together"

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

To be on short end of a game which you led late and lose in OT would be much harder to accept than losing a 1-0 game which you never led I would think. As for the bronze game, its a letdown and it probably meant more to the Fins than the Americans. I know the same happens in other tournaments where Canada does not make it. They usually wind up 4th rather than 3rd.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

All in good fun boys. :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
One better? The UK got one gold total.

I'm having soooo much fun reminding Blackleaf that their mens curling team left the ice in shame and forfeit the match before it was completed.

My heart really broke for the US women's hockey team.... As a Canuck, I was thrilled that the Cdn ladies won, but what absolute crappy luck for the US women.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
In 2010 Luongo was second fiddle until Brodeur didn't look very good. He did reasonably well in that role. We don't know how he would've managed if he had been the go-to guy from the start. This time around he had the same role but Price was really good. If Price had been shaky I'm sure the coach wouldn't have hesitated to put Lui in, just as he did in 2010.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
In 2010 Luongo was second fiddle until Brodeur didn't look very good. He did reasonably well in that role. We don't know how he would've managed if he had been the go-to guy from the start. This time around he had the same role but Price was really good. If Price had been shaky I'm sure the coach wouldn't have hesitated to put Lui in, just as he did in 2010.

yeah, brodeur really sucked in 2010.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Before our Olympic Chat topic sinks out of sight.......as it will, I would like to remind folks that the next phase of the Sochi Olympics is set to get underway March 7 to the 17th giving us another chance to cheer on Team Canada in the Paralympics.

I am always a bit saddened that while we come out in the millions to support our 'healthy' Olympians, our Paralympians who deserve our attention and support equally as much, if not a bit more are left to compete in relative obscurity. It doesn't help that the networks don't find it profitable enough to cover them on equal terms limiting are access to events and results.

You know all those ads on TV about sending our athletes 'a message from the heart'? Let's send our Paralympians one too.

For anyone interested in event schedules they can go to Sochi 2014 Paralympics - Paralympic Tickets, Sports & Schedule - Sochi 2014 Paralympic winter Games for further information.

GO TEAM CANADA!:canada:

Goober, I just about fell off my chair when I read the caption on that photo. :lol:

Watching the Closing Ceremonies. Got chills down my spine listening to the Russian Children's Choir sing their National Anthem - stirring seems a small word to describe the power of that anthem. Don't have a clue what the words are - the music alone is enough to stir even the least affected.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Watching the Closing Ceremonies. Got chills down my spine listening to the Russian Children's Choir sing their National Anthem - stirring seems a small word to describe the power of that anthem. Don't have a clue what the words are - the music alone is enough to stir even the least affected.

that has been my favourite anthem for a long time, then one day i heard a man singing it, and that blew me
away, then these children, priceless for sure.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Before our Olympic Chat topic sinks out of sight.......as it will, I would like to remind folks that the next phase of the Sochi Olympics is set to get underway March 7 to the 17th giving us another chance to cheer on Team Canada in the Paralympics.

I am always a bit saddened that while we come out in the millions to support our 'healthy' Olympians, our Paralympians who deserve our attention and support equally as much, if not a bit more are left to compete in relative obscurity. It doesn't help that the networks don't find it profitable enough to cover them on equal terms limiting are access to events and results.

You know all those ads on TV about sending our athletes 'a message from the heart'? Let's send our Paralympians one too.

For anyone interested in event schedules they can go to Sochi 2014 Paralympics - Paralympic Tickets, Sports & Schedule - Sochi 2014 Paralympic winter Games for further information.

GO TEAM CANADA!:canada:

Goober, I just about fell off my chair when I read the caption on that photo. :lol:

Everyone is special. Yawn.