Olympic chat

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If I remember 2010 correctly, Lu coughed up a 3rd period lead and needed Crosby to save his *** in overtime to win that gold. Fortunately, there seemed to be little chance of the same happening with Price.

ETA: I don't detract from 2010 at all. A gold is a gold is a gold just glad they went with the hot hand and Price this year.

luongo is having a good season, but i agreed with price playing in the olympics, was glad he played,
and obviously that was babcock's plan, as the game that luongo did play, he did well, so it wasn't
because he didn't play well, it was 'the' plan, and it was the right one. i feel more comfortable
with price in goal, he is so calm and steady, and better in my opinion, but had price been injured
i don't doubt that luongo would have done just fine, babcock isn't stupid, he wouldn't have brought
him to the olympics just because he likes him, he knew how he was playing this season, thus was given
the nod, along with smith.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Price had a hot streak going during the NHL games prior to the Olympics... Lou wasn't doing bad, but Price was hot.

I'll wager that fact played more of a factor than anything else

yeah, i agree, and also, luongo had a couple of small injuries recently,
and did miss some games, which also factors in.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
After Price, the pickins were pretty slim for Canadian goalies. I mean Smith??? Couldn't stop a beach ball til he went to the Yotes and any goalie looks good playing behind that system. Look at Bryzgalov. Looks like an all-star in a Yotes uni and a truck driver in Philly and Edmonton. No, Babcock didn't have much to choose from when it came to goaltending. Thank gawd Price stayed healthy and played well. We all know how Luongo plays under pressure.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sochi 2014 - CBC Sports - Canada retains gold medal record at Winter Olympics

The Canadian Olympic team may not have hit the medal count they were hoping for in Sochi, but they can be secure in the knowledge that a record they set in Vancouver will live on.

Canada’s record-setting number of gold medals won in Vancouver wasn’t broken at the 2014 Winter Olympics. Host nation Russia came up short, finishing with 13 gold medals, one back of Canada’s record-setting haul of 14 won in Vancouver.

Russia’s 13 golds matches the mark set by Norway in 2002 and the Soviet Union in 1976.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
luongo is having a good season, but i agreed with price playing in the olympics, was glad he played,
and obviously that was babcock's plan, as the game that luongo did play, he did well, so it wasn't
because he didn't play well, it was 'the' plan, and it was the right one. i feel more comfortable
with price in goal, he is so calm and steady, and better in my opinion, but had price been injured
i don't doubt that luongo would have done just fine, babcock isn't stupid, he wouldn't have brought
him to the olympics just because he likes him, he knew how he was playing this season, thus was given

Price had a hot streak going during the NHL games prior to the Olympics... Lou wasn't doing bad, but Price was hot.

I'll wager that fact played more of a factor than anything else

I also do not think the time to change goaltender would be after one completed a shutout in the quarter-finals. He was hot in the Olympics at the right time.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh Sal I hope you got to watch the Figure Skating Gala tonight. Tessa and Scott were magical. What a wonderful performance. It brought tears to my eyes thinking this may be the last time we see them. Such grace.

I was going to boycott it but I thought it would be disloyal to our Olympic skaters. Glad I had second thoughts.
Unfortunately I missed them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That would explain why he would think that Lu would be a good choice for the gold medal game.

Bingo!

I totally agree with you Talloola. Not quite sure how this discussion got this far. It started with me asking one simple question that required a one word answer. But then "AIRHEAD" decided to get sarcastic and I should have dropped it realizing he was just being his normal self. I've always liked Lu through thick and thin and I like to see him do well.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I totally agree with you Talloola. Not quite sure how this discussion got this far. It started with me asking one simple question that required a one word answer. But then "AIRHEAD" decided to get sarcastic and I should have dropped it realizing he was just being his normal self. I've always liked Lu through thick and thin and I like to see him do well.

I wouldn't call Gerry an "Airhead". He, like me, was just amazed that somebody would even consider a goaltending change. I seriously thought you were joking because the whole idea was so ridiculous.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wouldn't call Gerry an "Airhead". He, like me, was just amazed that somebody would even consider a goaltending change. I seriously thought you were joking because the whole idea was so ridiculous.

In your opinion. -:) -:) -:) -:) If you could read there, Einstein I never suggested a goal tending change!

You may want to reread post # 331.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Bingo!

yes, jlm, you have to work on figuring out what is 'worth' replying to and what isn't, then you won't
get stuck in the gutter with others who are there., i find it is very important to stay happy and balanced,
and getting sucked into that sort of garbage isn't good for one's health, and has no quality attached to
it, no constructive outcome, just more or the same.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes, jlm, you have to work on figuring out what is 'worth' replying to and what isn't, then you won't
get stuck in the gutter with others who are there., i find it is very important to stay happy and balanced,
and getting sucked into that sort of garbage isn't good for one's health, and has no quality attached to
it, no constructive outcome, just more or the same.

Yeah, sometimes I get caught up in the heat of the moment!-:)