Butter is back

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Meh. The cholesterol issue is overplayed. Good diet and regular exercise is important for keeping your cholesterol ratio lower than 5 to 1.
We didn't succumb to the sensationalism about cholesterol and have been using butter all along.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
For cooking, since olive oil should not be allowed to reach a high temp and thus should only be used in salad, I have now begun to use coconut oil...I can not express my delight with this oil.

That's good since the big scandal right now is that Extra Virgin Olive Oil that's imported is not so extra virginy. I don't know if they're using promiscuous olives, but you're only a virgin once so, whatever they are using, that ship has apparently sailed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's good since the big scandal right now is that Extra Virgin Olive Oil that's imported is not so extra virginy. I don't know if they're using promiscuous olives, but you're only a virgin once so, whatever they are using, that ship has apparently sailed.
ppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft ♦

and apparently the cold pressed is a lie too

bastards ya can't trust these creatures,

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Meh, I go by the colour and the taste. I still use olive oil for many things.
yeah me too, I always use it for low temp cooking but if you haven't tried coconut oil pick some up, I am loving it...and like olive oil it has multiple uses although I didn't use olive oil for anything but cooking and the occasional hang nail but coconut oil I am using on my skin because it has been so cold and dry...I love it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yeah me too, I always use it for low temp cooking but if you haven't tried coconut oil pick some up, I am loving it...and like olive oil it has multiple uses although I didn't use olive oil for anything but cooking and the occasional hang nail but coconut oil I am using on my skin because it has been so cold and dry...I love it.

I will try it, does it have a coconut taste to it at all? I'm wondering if it would do well as a base for Thai dishes. Olive oil I use mostly as a base to saute ingredients for Italian or Greek dishes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I will try it, does it have a coconut taste to it at all? I'm wondering if it would do well as a base for Thai dishes. Olive oil I use mostly as a base to saute ingredients for Italian or Greek dishes.
tastes and smells like coconut, is awesome for stir-fries which I do on super high in my wok,

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I only buy Land O'Lakes

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

How does one become an extra virgin? Wouldn't that be like being extra dead?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
wifey swears by the coconut butter she puts on her skin. Seems ok on my hide, too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
For cooking, since olive oil should not be allowed to reach a high temp and thus should only be used in salad, I have now begun to use coconut oil...I can not express my delight with this oil.

i have coconut oil too, use it in our porridge supreme for breaky, and i also put it in the pets food
a little dab at a time, it is very good for living beings, i don't cook with it though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
i have coconut oil too, use it in our porridge supreme for breaky, and i also put it in the pets food
a little dab at a time, it is very good for living beings, i don't cook with it though.

It scorches really easily from what I've read, but I LOVE to cook my popcorn in it.

We have a friend who works in Albania, who gave us a bottle of olive oil that a friend had picked and pressed at a boutique type place. We don't cook with it, it's too good, we use it in dressings and bread dips, so you really taste it. Yumma. I don't know if it's lost its virginity yet or not, but damn it's good.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It scorches really easily from what I've read, but I LOVE to cook my popcorn in it.

We have a friend who works in Albania, who gave us a bottle of olive oil that a friend had picked and pressed at a boutique type place. We don't cook with it, it's too good, we use it in dressings and bread dips, so you really taste it. Yumma. I don't know if it's lost its virginity yet or not, but damn it's good.

and of course if you add a small bit of 'balsamic vinegar' in the middle of the olive oil on a shallow
dish, for bread dipping, it is marvelous.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
and of course if you add a small bit of 'balsamic vinegar' in the middle of the olive oil on a shallow
dish, for bread dipping, it is marvelous.

I wouldn't call it a small bit. lol. Fresh herbs, balsamic, and olive oil... mmmmm.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? are you crazy? it is one of the great pleasures of bread....a ton of fat smacked down on it...don't tell me you are like my guy....oh, please just a tiny bit....dolp that s hit on it....yeah

Just smack a whack of it on toast while it's still flaming hot, add peanut butter, and mow down............{clotted arteries smiley here}