Moving from Vancouver to Red Deer

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
Well that evoked some disturbing imagery.

eh? down hill skiing? I cross country, down hill, water ski, horse back ride.. western and equestrian, love hiking - very athletic.

I see because I'm a trucker, you figure I look something like this I guess.. :lol:

Then down hill skiing would be, I just start rolling and by the time I reach the bottom - I'm one big snowball.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
eh? down hill skiing? I cross country, down hill, water ski, horse back ride.. western and equestrian, love hiking - very athletic.

I see because I'm a trucker, you figure I look something like this I guess.. :lol:

Then down hill skiing would be, I just start rolling and by the time I reach the bottom - I'm one big snowball.

A day on the slops.

Sorry, it was the spelling mistake not your assumption about what truckers look like.

Cassjadef

Oct 17, 2012
I do have friends in Red Deer, but my neice is the family in Alberta, and she'll essentially go wherever I go. I picked Red Deer because of the few friends I have there, but it's not written in stone. I heard Calgary is awefully expensive, only reason I am hesitant to move there. I'm just concerned I am moving there for the wrong reasons. Essentially I am hoping I can make a fresh start and actually afford my life for once. Between BC's toll bridges that are in the works, cost of housing, tax and gas, I feel like I'm being strangled!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
....neither could I, just figured it was a good opportunity to tease you a little..

Driving from Grande Prairie last night saw to moose running along side the truck.. at Valleyview, one dead moose that was able to destroy two tractor trailers..

The stretch between Whitecourt and Fox Creek is known as Moose Row (as I'm sure you are aware)... Sadly, there are a number of moose killed there every year.

Magnificent creatures

I do have friends in Red Deer, but my neice is the family in Alberta, and she'll essentially go wherever I go. I picked Red Deer because of the few friends I have there, but it's not written in stone. I heard Calgary is awefully expensive, only reason I am hesitant to move there. I'm just concerned I am moving there for the wrong reasons. Essentially I am hoping I can make a fresh start and actually afford my life for once. Between BC's toll bridges that are in the works, cost of housing, tax and gas, I feel like I'm being strangled!!

Red Deer is a nice town. It's roughly 1.5 hours hwy drive South to Calgary and another 1.5 hours North to Edmonton. Rent will definitely be cheaper than the lower mainland and the basic cost of living is less as well.

There are also a couple of smaller communities around Red Deer that you could look at living in and commuting to Red Deer. Sylvan Lake comes to mind and it only about 1/2 hour away.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Of all the traveling that I've done (hwy driving that is), that stretch up to Fox Creek at night is by far and away, the darkest stretch of road I can recall... Even with a moon out, the road seems to mix in wit the ditch and the valley areas, it's just one big expanse of inky black... I can see why there are lots of wildlife hits on that road. The fact that the river is adjacent to the highway notwithstanding; anytime I've driven that road at night, I spend all my time focusing on the yellow line for the shoulder of the road just to understand where the blacktop goes

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
Of all the traveling that I've done (hwy driving that is), that stretch up to Fox Creek at night is by far and away, the darkest stretch of road I can recall...

Well, for me it's different I guess.. for one I am always driving a tractor trailer.. so I have to be very attentive. I look from ditch to ditch keeping my eyes moving to keep aware and awake. plus XM radio of course.

I find when we have a full moon it's bright..

I have seen bears, deer and moose making that run.. I really enjoy the run from Calgary to Grand Prairie.. relaxing. However, others people relaxing may be a little different from mine.. with a million miles under my belt.. and as a kid I would just go from drives for hours in my car..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I don't think it would be a bad move at all. It would be way more affordable.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You will be a loooong way from the ocean and the thermometer often reads in the negative. Funny white stuff on the ground every year too.

I understand the desire to get out of hongcouver though.

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca