Moving to Calgary in May

justsaying

Jan 29, 2012
Montreal has more humidity - Calgary is drier so most find the cold easier to handle. As well, Calgary has Chinooks - warm wind coming in over the mountains so there are more warm breaks throughout the winter. And no ice storms.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The west is a very different place for easterners. The climate and job prospects are one thing
but the atmosphere is much different. I get to Calgary quite a bit as relatives live there. I have
lived off and on in Alberta over the years though, and it is a lot different than say, BC two different
worlds.
I think the best way to go there is with an open mind and try to fit in with the locals. If you are
hard working and determined you can fit in quickly, that is because Calgary is one of those
younger and modern cities.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
To get a decent job in Calgary, a bachelors business degree is not enough.
As a minimum you need an MBA and better yet combine with an Eng. Degree.

The same is true for Vancouver.
Many easterners who come out west usually do not last very long. They usually go back home.
The competition is very keen in the west and you gotta be really good to survive.

How did I miss out on this stupidity?

How's your Devry degree anyway?

Don't worry about the "redneck" thing, Calgary is not much different than any of the western cities. It has over 1M people, so you can find pretty well whatever your looking for, redneck or whatever !!
The city is pretty well whatever you make it to be. For some it works for others it doesnt.

My experience with people from the east is they usually don't last very long in the west, but if you don't try, you'll never know !!

Over 1 million people! Holy Fack, you're cultured dude. I'm going out on a limb here but I reckon you might have seen a black person once or twice in your sheltered life (besides the one's your mom bangs).

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Degree? He has a certificate...and a stamp on the back of his hand. There's probably some white coats looking for Durry as we speak.

Durry is probably huffing Syncrudes profits as we speak, "Where's Durry", Ohh, he's huffing bitumen and banging a Fort Mac meth head..."

MMP

May 14, 2012
Hi,

I have been living on Montreal for the last two and a half years and now I feel it's time for a change.

My colleagues and friends have always told me to try living in an anglophone city such as Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary, because it might be easier to find a job there with no "bilingual barrier" (my English is way better than my French) and with better wages. After doing some research, I believe that Calgary might be the best choice among them.

Luckily, I have been working here for the last two years as a Business Analyst; I have a Bachelors' Degree in Business (from a foreign university) and speak Spanish (native), English (quite well) and French (decent). At the begining I had a little hard time with the winter here but now I almost got used to it, so I believe I could do well in Calgary (even though it's colder).

Web research could be somehow "cold", that's why I would like to get information from someone who is currently living there (or had lived) about the city and the opportunities that it may offer to a single guy like me regarding: job opportunities, housing, cost of living, education (planning to study an MBA), culture, weather, etc.

Please any comment or help that you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Codino

HelloCodino,

I found your post while searching for the same info you were trying to get from the forum one year ago. After four years living in Quebec (Gatineau and Montreal) I’m in the decision making process of leaving a full time job in Montreal to search for job and settlement in Calgary

Spanish is also my mother language, English and French quite good (would say acceptable to succeed in the job place and on the day to day life) I graduated as Mechanical Engineer back in my country of origin and completed a Diploma in Hotel Management. Here in Montreal, I obtained an AEC in Transportation and Logistics in 2011. In allI have over 15 years of combined experience, in Engineering, Management and Logistics but only one year of work in Canada…I would like to pursue my career in Logistics and Supply Chain and I`m planning to enrol one of the existing designations for Supply Chain (CITT OR PMAC).

I would really appreciate having your views, if you finally did the movement, about the job market and how do you see possibilities of integration for a single person in her forties there. Like you, I have been doing my online research and apparently there are plenty of opportunities and tools in place to facilitate the access to the job market but it is never the same reading as hearing from someone who has actually lived the transition. How has it been for you?

Thanks in advance for your comments, and of course comments from other users will be greatly appreciated as well!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
HelloCodino,

I found your post while searching for the same info you were trying to get from the forum one year ago. After four years living in Quebec (Gatineau and Montreal) I’m in the decision making process of leaving a full time job in Montreal to search for job and settlement in Calgary

Spanish is also my mother language, English and French quite good (would say acceptable to succeed in the job place and on the day to day life) I graduated as Mechanical Engineer back in my country of origin and completed a Diploma in Hotel Management. Here in Montreal, I obtained an AEC in Transportation and Logistics in 2011. In allI have over 15 years of combined experience, in Engineering, Management and Logistics but only one year of work in Canada…I would like to pursue my career in Logistics and Supply Chain and I`m planning to enrol one of the existing designations for Supply Chain (CITT OR PMAC).

I would really appreciate having your views, if you finally did the movement, about the job market and how do you see possibilities of integration for a single person in her forties there. Like you, I have been doing my online research and apparently there are plenty of opportunities and tools in place to facilitate the access to the job market but it is never the same reading as hearing from someone who has actually lived the transition. How has it been for you?

Thanks in advance for your comments, and of course comments from other users will be greatly appreciated as well!

Transportation, Logistics, Supply Management?....Are you aware of the
Inland Port being built in Regina, Sk. ???

MMP

May 14, 2012
[/FONT]

Transportation, Logistics, Supply Management?....Are you aware of the
Inland Port being built in Regina, Sk. ???

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Not really, I have been more focused on Calgary's job market opportunities...will definitely take a look at it,
Thanks!