Moving to Calgary in 14 days

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Are they? Really?

When you think about it they are taking a page out of the Alberta government play book when that province did the same back in the 1980s when they sent their welfare people to Ontario.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
When you think about it they are taking a page out of the Alberta government play book when that province did the same back in the 1980s when they sent their welfare people to Ontario.

Is the Ont gvt buying them 1-way bus tickets?

No we gave them a bus ticket to B.C. They had jobs and we didnt.

I remember that time - I had just moved to Vancouver (more like the early '90's).

It was interesting to see the BC gvts response... At first, it was berating Klein for his heartless actions and they welcomed the welfare population.. After a short time, the BC gvt put restrictions on the ability to receive payments as it was becoming too popular

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Is the Ont gvt buying them 1-way bus tickets?

I remember that time - I had just moved to Vancouver (more like the early '90's).

It was interesting to see the BC gvts response... At first, it was berating Klein for his heartless actions and they welcomed the welfare population.. After a short time, the BC gvt put restrictions on the ability to receive payments as it was becoming too popular
Lots of Aussies were migrating to B.C. right about then,they liked the fact that welfare would allow them 2 dogs each,most went to be ski bums and stayed in Fernie and have rich folks back home.So now there is a fairly large permanent Aussie population in Fernie.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well, you gotta give them full marks for choosing Fernie - it's a fantastic part of the world.. A little out of the way and the roads are nothing short of a nightmare in the winter, but a beautiful area all the same

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hello everyone

I am in the final stretch before i move from Ontario to Calgary Alberta. It's been a long process for me and i am finally in the 14 day count down! phew,

What can i expect of the people there, what kind of work is popular (aside from the trades) Anything i should know about Calgary having never been there before?

Good luck in "Cowtown", if a person HAS to move to a big city, Calgary is as good as any. As far as people go you'll find the whole gamut, but mostly friendly and helpful. I'd guess there are opportunities in all types of work.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Good luck in "Cowtown", if a person HAS to move to a big city, Calgary is as good as any. As far as people go you'll find the whole gamut, but mostly friendly and helpful. I'd guess there are opportunities in all types of work.

Calgarians they will give you the shirt off their back and they are the first ones to stab you in the back.

But I guess they are nicer than to easteners who just won't give you the time of day.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Calgarians they will give you the shirt off their back and they are the first ones to stab you in the back.

But I guess they are nicer than to easteners who just won't give you the time of day.

I've been visiting Calgary regularly for 15 years and have yet to be stabbed in the back, either literally or figuratively.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Well, in my 10 years in Calgary, the only time I was (figuratively) stabbed in the back was by a Newf, which is pretty much contrary to anything I ever heard or experienced with people from the Rock. I guess it shows there are bad apples everywhere if you look hard enough...