• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Most cooks in lots of the camps in Nunavut work for 1978,thats a contract company that supplies cooks to exploration camps.You generally work 4 to 6 weeks on and 2 off in Nunavut camps.The cook in my first camp was Dianne,the cook mentioned in the book the barrenlands where they discovered Canada's first diamond find.The key to working like this is contacts,dont burn any bridges and tough it out no matter how hard it is.When you get good enough you can start your own bussiness and then go contracting out as a cook.These are smallish camps,not like the 2000 man camps at the oilsands but you can make a name for yourself very fast in the small camps.Your just a number in the big camps.

rauly

Time Out
Nov 12, 2011
iceland
Most cooks in lots of the camps in Nunavut work for 1978,thats a contract company that supplies cooks to exploration camps.You generally work 4 to 6 weeks on and 2 off in Nunavut camps.The cook in my first camp was Dianne,the cook mentioned in the book the barrenlands where they discovered Canada's first diamond find.The key to working like this is contacts,dont burn any bridges and tough it out no matter how hard it is.When you get good enough you can start your own bussiness and then go contracting out as a cook.These are smallish camps,not like the 2000 man camps at the oilsands but you can make a name for yourself very fast in the small camps.Your just a number in the big camps.
thanks buddy but i dont have any contacts for camps cause i need a place to live with my family in alberta b4

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Check the job boards for Alberta first. Also infomine job board. SOme of the job boards will let you post your resume on line as well.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I don't think anyone will pay to move a family from Quebec to Alberta to cook ... unless there were no cooks in the province. That's not the case. Also, I don't think you will find a place to live without going to Alberta to rent something. If you want to cook in Alberta, you'll have to visit Alberta, find a place to live, interview for jobs and then move your family.

Also ... about being flown in and out of the camps ... executives and professional are flown in and out of the camps, but I'm not convinced that regular employees are flown in and out. I think they take the bus.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I worked in a camp a couple of decades back (exploration) and
I sure wasn't an Executive or a professional anything at that time.

Once the equipment was up & in place, we where flown in & out.
Again, this was in the late '80's or early 90's, so maybe things
aren't now what they once where. Someone with more current
knowledge could fill in that blank.

I'd assume the location of the camp would have a bering on things
also.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Flights are allways paid except for a few fort mac outfits that want you to move but they will put you up in camp while you are there.
Most places fly you on their bill though.Flying to the arctic camps is about ten times the cost though so if you go up there expect to work 6 or 7 weeks before getting your 2 week turnover.

rauly

Time Out
Nov 12, 2011
iceland
hey guys happy new year ,can any one tell me how western camp services pay for first cooks second cooks and so thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.