Obama: Throw Mubarak under the Bus!

What Should Obama do?

• Throw Mubarak under the bus!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Give Mubarak more time to drive over protesters!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • other

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
The German government of ww2 era was in power due to alot of arm twisting and manipulation.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Pushing out the fundamentalist from the ballot can have an adverse effect too, form Egypt and surrounding countries.
I agree EB. It is most definitely a delicate situation. Made light by armchair dimwits and hypocrites.
This is going to be very interesting seeing how it plays out.
To true, my only hope is, Egypt gets a gov't that benefits the people and Egypt.
There may be no middle road on this one.
There's always a middle road EB. People just have to be mature enough to take it. Cool heads are always required. Hence why the middle of the road I offered TP in private was so obviously rejected.

The German government of ww2 era was in power due to alot of arm twisting and manipulation.
Sounds like how Hamas got into power.

And lets not forget, the people of Egypt, are under duress. No one makes the best decisions when they're desperate.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I agree EB. It is most definitely a delicate situation. Made light by armchair dimwits and hypocrites.
To true, my only hope is, Egypt gets a gov't that benefits the people and Egypt.
There's always a middle road EB. People just have to be mature enough to take it. Cool heads are always required. Hence why the middle of the road I offered TP in private was so obviously rejected.

Sounds like how Hamas got into power.

And lets not forget, the people of Egypt, are under duress. No one makes the best decisions when they're desperate.
The Egyptians are there now, with the too little too late attitude , the people are poor and hungry. Smells like a classic revolution we have seen time and time again.
Backing Sadat was probably a quick fix at the time but looks like it wasn't the solution for today.
Gah I have nothing pass this to say anymore.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Egyptians are there now, with the too little too late attitude , the people are poor and hungry. Smells like a classic revolution we have seen time and time again.
Yep.
Backing Sadat was probably a quick fix at the time but looks like it wasn't the solution for today.
Gah I have nothing pass this to say anymore.
Frustrating isn't it. When you truly are a humanist, you can see the catch 22's and they drive you nutty.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If by TP, you mean me, I have no idea what you are talking about, and would prefer that, if you're having private fantasies about me, keep them to yourself.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If by TP, you mean me, I have no idea what you are talking about, and would prefer that, if you're having private fantasies about me, keep them to yourself.
My bad, I gave you to much credit again. By "private", I meant PM, or Private Message.

Carry on little guy, don't get all bent outta shape, it wasn't anything untoward. Now go lie down before you hurt yourself, and sleep off all that beer. MmmmK.

Back on topic...

BBC News - Profile: Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood

Really?

This is a group you people think fits the bill as free and democratic?

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
My bad, I gave you to much credit again. By "private", I meant PM, or Private Message.

Carry on little guy, don't get all bent outta shape, it wasn't anything untoward. Now go lie down before you hurt yourself, and sleep off all that beer. MmmmK.

You are, for some reason, assuming that I pay attention to, and read, PMs, and that I somehow ignored your peace offering. Again, you give yourself far too much importance. Your 'little guy' comments are amusing; again, you seem to think you have some sort of authority or standing in the world. If it makes you feel better to think you are someone special, keep right on doing so.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one
I'm proud that during WW II, my grandfather signed up in the armed forces to fight for freedom, justice and democracy. The Egyptian revolution is the same fight with the same goals.

Some people obviously support the dictator. But its hard to come out and say that you support an oppressive dictator and would support a brutal crack down, which would likely end in a mass slaughter. Instead they resort to irrational fear mongering and personal attacks in support of tyranny, oppression and injustice.​

Really? You supported the over throw of the democratically elected government of Germany at that time? Yet you don't advocate the same thing when it comes to middle eastern country's? A little 2 faced eao?
Where did I support "the over throw of the democratically elected government government of Germany at that time"?

I am aware that Hitler was elected initially, but soon after, Germany ceased being a democracy and Hitler became Germany's brutal oppressive dictator.

I have consistently supported the right of people to chose their leaders by free and fair democratic elections and consistently rallied against brutal oppressive dictators. If you think I've been two faced, you are going to have to be a little more specific since your post above makes little sense.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Why should obama and the yankees stick their damn noses where it doesn't belong????????????????

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Why should obama and the yankees stick their damn noses where it doesn't belong????????????????
I bet you didn't read the first post in this thread.

The US gives Egypt $1.3B US in arms and another $800M US in economic aid annually. Obama should tell the Egyptian military the $3.5 million in arms and economic support per day stops until a transitional unity government holds power in Egypt. I bet the Egyptian military won't even miss a single check.

Obama: Throw Mubarak under the bus!

The Yanks are already meddling in Egypt's internal affairs. Throwing Mubarak under the bus would be if Obama stops this aid while Mubarak remains in power.

Do you think Obama keep supporting Mubarak or stop?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I advise President Obama to immediately cut off US military aid to Egypt. Doing so is not the US meddling in other countries' affairs. "Meddling" would be, like, the CIA conspiring to overthrow some foreign government, not duly cutting off aid.

Frankly, the US has a lot of important things to spend money on, and the military of an authoritarian nation and the negative PR that comes with that, is not one of those important things.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
[/INDENT] Where did I support "the over throw of the democratically elected government government of Germany at that time"?

I am aware that Hitler was elected initially, but soon after, Germany ceased being a democracy and Hitler became Germany's brutal oppressive dictator.

I have consistently supported the right of people to chose their leaders by free and fair democratic elections and consistently rallied against brutal oppressive dictators. If you think I've been two faced, you are going to have to be a little more specific since your post above makes little sense.

You have stated that if the people choose a dictator than so be it. The German people chose a dictator.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You have stated that if the people choose a dictator than so be it. The German people chose a dictator.

I never wrote that. I suspect you have been misled by trolls like CB, who constantly attribute things to me that I've never said. I used to post rebuttals, but I don't bother anymore.

In my opinion, electing a dictator is almost be an oxymoron. The German people elected someone who abused their power to become a dictator. After that they couldn't get rid of him, even if they wanted.

I believe I said something along the lines that I support the right of people to elect whoever they want in free and fair elections, even if I don't like their choice. But I'm not in favor of that being a one time only permanent decision. In a true representative democracy, the mandate has a time limit, otherwise that would be electing a dictator.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In an interview with the German journalist Erich Folllath, ElBaradei used the word “myth” to describe the apprehension that a new regime may abrogate Egypt’s 1979 peace treaty with Israel. That’s just scare-tactics, rumors spread by Mubarak.
“Do you mean an Egyptian government in which the Muslim Brotherhood participates will continue Mubarak’s policies towards Israel?” the interviewer wanted to know.
Maybe it was a slip, or maybe ElBaredei didn’t want to strain credulity too much, but he went off script for a moment.
“No,” he replied. “The Israelis need to grasp that it’s impossible to make peace with a single man. At the moment, they have a peace treaty with Mubarak, but not one with the Egyptian people.”

Any govenment in Egypt that includes as a major force the Muslim Brotherhood will mean war with Israel.

I only hope the Egyptian people understand that is a war they can not win.

It also, once again, shows how futile it is for Israel to surrender land for peace. They gave up the Sinai for peace with Egypt............and they will be rewarded, yet again, with war.

Oh yeah! And so much for the peace loving UN hero, El Baradei!!!!! lol​

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Any govenment in Egypt that includes as a major force the Muslim Brotherhood will mean war with Israel.

I only hope the Egyptian people understand that is a war they can not win.

It also, once again, shows how futile it is for Israel to surrender land for peace. They gave up the Sinai for peace with Egypt............and they will be rewarded, yet again, with war.

Oh yeah! And so much for the peace loving UN hero, El Baradei!!!!! lol​

I doubt that anything resembling war will occur between Egypt and Israel. There are a number of reasons for this, the first being that Israel has a clear military superiority. Starting a war you cannot win is never a good idea.

The second is that the majority of wealth in Egypt is created by tourism and the Suez Canal. A war would eliminate both of these as a source of revenue, and unlike the 1970s there is no USSR to pay massive subsidies to the Egyptians to tide them over. I doubt very much that the Egyptian people in their search for a more democratic regime will welcome any act by a new government that will leave them impoverished. It is also interesting to note that many of the most frequent visitors to Egypt as tourists are Israelis.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I doubt that anything resembling war will occur between Egypt and Israel. There are a number of reasons for this, the first being that Israel has a clear military superiority. Starting a war you cannot win is never a good idea.

The second is that the majority of wealth in Egypt is created by tourism and the Suez Canal. A war would eliminate both of these as a source of revenue, and unlike the 1970s there is no USSR to pay massive subsidies to the Egyptians to tide them over. I doubt very much that the Egyptian people in their search for a more democratic regime will welcome any act by a new government that will leave them impoverished. It is also interesting to note that many of the most frequent visitors to Egypt as tourists are Israelis.

I hope you are correct......

But the only coherent alternative to Mubarak seems to be ElBaradei's coalition.........and one should never underestimate the ability of a focused faction to move things their way in a chaotic environment.

And, if given a window to power, Islamists have certainly shown themselves to be self-defeating, in fact suicidal, literally and metaphorically. Gaza could have been a peaceful enclave, with the West Bank following, and a Palestinian State shortly after.....but five years after Israel's unilasteral withdrawal, the Palestinians are still paying for the mistake of electing Hamas....which suicidally attacks Israel. They paid in January 2009, and they will continue to pay. They will NEVER have another election that Hamas can lose, that's for sure.

Nor will Iran ever have a free election under the Islamists.

Submission to God does not allow God's people to be removed from power.

That simple.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I hope you are correct......

But the only coherent alternative to Mubarak seems to be ElBaradei's coalition.........and one should never underestimate the ability of a focused faction to move things their way in a chaotic environment.

And, if given a window to power, Islamists have certainly shown themselves to be self-defeating, in fact suicidal, literally and metaphorically. Gaza could have been a peaceful enclave, with the West Bank following, and a Palestinian State shortly after.....but five years after Israel's unilasteral withdrawal, the Palestinians are still paying for the mistake of electing Hamas....which suicidally attacks Israel. They paid in January 2009, and they will continue to pay. They will NEVER have another election that Hamas can lose, that's for sure.

Nor will Iran ever have a free election under the Islamists.

Submission to God does not allow God's people to be removed from power.

That simple.

True enough, one can never underestimate the self-destructive power of religion, but we will just have to wait and see. Religious lunacy has not yet motivated Iran to go to war against anyone, and I expect Egypt will be no different - that is assuming religious fundamentalists do come to power in one of the most secular of Muslim states.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I agree... but apparently many want us to stick our noses in this and meddle. It must be an Obama thing.
You mean like invading Iraq or Afghanistan?

Maybe Obama should label Egypt part of the axis of evil, demand Mubarak reveal the location of his WMD stockpiles and come clean regarding his involvement in 9/11 or face the consequences? As Americans have demonstrated previously, these claims don't have to be true to succeed in manipulating the American people to support US "meddling" in Egypt to help liberate the Egyptians from their brutal dictator.

This time, American forces might actually be welcomed as liberators...

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There's a few options here..

Diplomacy.
Viral propaganda.
Cut funding.
The power of the U.N. - it does have some power, it just doesn't use it.
At worst, they could send in a spook and take care of him.

Anything but a declaration of war to 'save the people of Egypt'. Please - not another stupid war.