What to do about global warming

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

From the article:

1. the gradual elimination of an accelerated capital cost allowance to the industry
  2. However, according to the Pembina Institute's best estimate, the oil sector still receives close to $2 billion in federal aid annually, despite a period of unparalleled profits and growth, interrupted briefly by the recession (*N.B - no actual examples were given, just an unsubstantiated statement)
  3. Asked about the memo, he (Harper) declared: "Canada is a world leader in the elimination of these subsidies. Compared to other countries, we have virtually none."
  4. including tax breaks and special deals for oil companies to support exploration and production. In February, the Obama administration listed 12 tax break to Big Oil

Nope... No mention of the "subsidies" that you promised, just a few references to tax breaks.

Care to take another stab at the question Avro?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
From the article:

1. the gradual elimination of an accelerated capital cost allowance to the industry
  2. However, according to the Pembina Institute's best estimate, the oil sector still receives close to $2 billion in federal aid annually, despite a period of unparalleled profits and growth, interrupted briefly by the recession (*N.B - no actual examples were given, just an unsubstantiated statement)
  3. Asked about the memo, he (Harper) declared: "Canada is a world leader in the elimination of these subsidies. Compared to other countries, we have virtually none."
  4. including tax breaks and special deals for oil companies to support exploration and production. In February, the Obama administration listed 12 tax break to Big Oil
Nope... No mention of the "subsidies" that you promised, just a few references to tax breaks.

Care to take another stab at the question Avro?

Except the 2 billion in annual aid.....none.:roll:

Care to take another stab at it Captain.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Did you read the article that you posted Avro?

Pembina is claiming that there is 2 billion in federal aid, yet they aren't providing any details about it... According to the rest of the article (written by a west coast greenie no less), they are tax breaks.

So' I'll ask you again; What are these actual subsidies?

Can you give me an example?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Lots of mention of tax breaks/incentives.. I think that they even used the word "grant", but nothing with details.

So, lemme in on the secret, does that doc specifically support your position? If so, save me some time and tell me the page. If not, it's another skewed and wishy-washy alarmist document that is pissing and moaning for more tax payer support for their industry.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Lots of mention of tax breaks/incentives.. I think that they even used the word "grant", but nothing with details.

So, lemme in on the secret, does that doc specifically support your position? If so, save me some time and tell me the page. If not, it's another skewed and wishy-washy alarmist document that is pissing and moaning for more tax payer support for their industry.

So you deny the oil industry has recieved subsidies?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Any tax breaks or incentives go right back to the feds as tax on the labour the incentives created.

They don't care if product is found. It's all about keeping the drills running.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Any tax breaks or incentives go right back to the feds as tax on the labour the incentives created.

They don't care if product is found. It's all about keeping the drills running.

Avro is claiming that the industry is receiving direct monies (ie hard currency) as opposed to tax breaks/incentives that only are viable if there is a cash expenditure made in advance.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Avro is claiming that the industry is receiving direct monies (ie hard currency) as opposed to tax breaks/incentives that only are viable if there is a cash expenditure made in advance.
Hard currency these days comes from investors utilizing the tax breaks they receive using the flow through share programs. It's hard to find an invesment portfolio that doesn't cash in on flow throughs.