Collateral Murder

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't have to. It has become SOP to terminate all manner of egress.

and because it is SOP that makes it A-OK, because there is no way that SOP could be wrong.....right?

Not my problem. War is ugly and ugly **** happens. I know you hate that, but that is the reality of it. I, thousands of miles away from said conflict know and understand this procedure. You would think people working with insurgents would try and keep up with such policy, so they could keep alive.

Besides that, who the f!ck brings kids to pick up wounded people, c'mon?

Did this "battle" take place out in the middle of nowhere? No! It took place within the city of Baghdad. A place where kids and non combatants live. How do you know that the driver purposely had the kids in the Van KNOWING that he would be picking up wounded? For all we know he was taking the kids to their grandparents and just happened upon the scene. The gross assumption that you, Eagle, AND the chopper pilots have made is exactley that, gross.

Fair enough, i don't care what you do or do not believe. I'm not going to change your mind if I post a paper explaining this policy.

Just because it is policy, doesn't mean it is correct. IMNSHO, any one that uses SOP as an excuse for doing something that is not right is copping out. I REALLY don't want to bring up what previous atrocities in history were done based on a military's SOP.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
The comparison is in these guys NOT being able to predict the future either. It's okay for you to be ridiculous and nobody else?

It wasn't the future they were supposed to know. Rather, it was the possibilities of the Apache they knew, or at least were supposed to. Any rational person knows what it could do. Indeed, that there is an unacceptably high possibility of doing.

Again, there is no comparison to the lottery.

"They decided to fly the Apache. They had guns, and used them. A van with kids was hit by their shots. They're responsible for this" is perfectly rational.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This has been explained.

Maybe. I'm not prepared to read this whole thread, and was responding to what wolf said about only firing when the ground commander saw cause. He didn't. He asked the helicopter pilot what he saw, and then authorized it. The pilot was wrong.

If you are Iraqi Police, yes, un-uniformed civilians, no.

Can you cite anything? This says otherwise:
Iraqi citizens can own an AK-47 assault rifle as long as it's registered, but it's not legal for Iraqis to maintain an armory full of bombs, sniper rifles, and other deadly items that terrorists could used.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
and because it is SOP that makes it A-OK, because there is no way that SOP could be wrong.....right?
We are discussing what is wrong or right Gh. We're discussing culpability.

Did this "battle" take place out in the middle of nowhere? No! It took place within the city of Baghdad.
Go aheand and google earth it, if you think it's as clean cut as the streets of you town Gh.

A place where kids and non combatants live. How do you know that the driver purposely had the kids in the Van KNOWING that he would be picking up wounded?
I don't, and never claimed he did. I do know, that if I were in a similar situation, I would leave my boys at a distance, if I bothered to attend at all.

For all we know he was taking the kids to their grandparents and just happened upon the scene. The gross assumption that you, Eagle, AND the chopper pilots have made is exactley that, gross.
That's you opinion, and it is made without all the faculties we have.

And I'm not saying anything negative about you, I have previously told you straight out I admire and would fiercely defend you for your beliefs. Period.

Just because it is policy, doesn't mean it is correct.
Already answered.

IMNSHO, any one that uses SOP as an excuse for doing something that is not right is copping out.
And fortunately, there are people willing to do ugly jobs so you can sit in Alberta and have that thought Gh.

I REALLY don't want to bring up what previous atrocities in history were done based on a military's SOP.
Then don't.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It wasn't the future they were supposed to know. Rather, it was the possibilities of the Apache they knew, or at least were supposed to. Any rational person knows what it could do. Indeed, that there is an unacceptably high possibility of doing.

"They decided to fly the Apache. They had guns, and used them. A van with kids was hit by their shots. They're responsible for this" is perfectly rational.

Are these your words, Ick?

You're not hearing me. My proof is when they decided to train to fly the Apache. When one does that, one is bound to all the possibilites of using that Apache. In this case, the specific possibility of shooting up some kids in N. Baghdad came true.

Do you buy lottery tickets for the specific possibility of NOT winning?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

:roll:

Maybe. I'm not prepared to read this whole thread, and was responding to what wolf said about only firing when the ground commander saw cause. He didn't. He asked the helicopter pilot what he saw, and then authorized it. The pilot was wrong.
According to you.

Can you cite anything?
:roll:

says otherwise:
I concede, it was my understanding they couldn't poses them. Perhaps I misinterpreted what I read and was carry them.

Either way, are you familiar with the whole story? Or are you just going what you saw in the short clip?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And fortunately, there are people willing to do ugly jobs so you can sit in Alberta and have that thought Gh.

and it f*cking p*sses me off no f*cking end when f*cking asshats make comments like the above to me........ as if "I" should be gratefull that some f*cking warmongering sh*thead has gone overseas and blasted kids to kingdom come in my f*cking name!!!!!!!!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
and it f*cking p*sses me off no f*cking end when f*cking asshats make comments like the above to me........ as if "I" should be gratefull that some f*cking warmongering sh*thead has gone overseas and blasted kids to kingdom come in my f*cking name!!!!!!!!!
Anger aside, you should be...:lol:

Have a great day Gh, you can thank an Apache pilot...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Having been there once, I hear it as confirmation. He saw the same thing the pilot and the camera did - same reason the pizza place asks your phone number even if they have Call Display

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
The US Armed Forces are mostly made up of sick individuals, period.

Some borderline retards, still on duty doing the killing for it`s gov, while others, like CanCon`s annoying skin-tag, Eaglesnack, still thinking he`s in the forces but in all likelyhood one of those un-lucky `not quite right` bastards barred due to his severe injuries and living on a fixed monthly income with plenty of medication and time on his hands to spout off on an internet board about `protecting the weak`, safe and sound behind his keyboard.:canada:

Yes...that is what they decided to do...get in Apaches and kill a bunch of people.

Don't worry Icarus... you wouldn't have made it in any of the Armed Forces anyways. We've always protected the weak regardless.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Are these your words, Ick?

Do you buy lottery tickets for the specific possibility of NOT winning?

Now I think I understand the point you're making. You're saying intention is important. I would make the case that a situation with serious enough consequences makes intentions irrelevant. Someone's responsible for their action of placing themselves in a situation with a greater than normal possiblity of killing innocent people, regardless of their intentions.

That's really the only serious way of handling such serious circumstances as being a soldier.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Now I think I understand the point you're making. You're saying intention is important. I would make the case that a situation with serious enough consequences makes intentions irrelevant. Someone's responsible for their action of placing themselves in a situation with a greater than normal possiblity of killing innocent people, regardless of their intentions.
Really? My sons are both Cadets, they're both confirmed cowards when it comes to war, but both want a military career, so they can get their pilots licenses. One wants to fly bush planes, the other helo's.

Are you saying their intent is to kill people?

I can guarantee you, they are aware of the reality that they may be called on to do so. But they are not seeking to become pilots just to kill people like your stupidity seems to indicate.

That's really the only serious way of handling such serious circumstances as being a soldier.
Really? So if someone joins the military and wants to be a Medic, but ends up an Infantrymen, his intent was to kill people?

You speak of logic, like you understand it, your posts prove otherwise.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if Icarus is one of those that cheers on Fred Phelps-led Westboro Baptist Church :roll:

Westboro's stand, as I can tell from those signs they have: "God Likes Dead Soldiers".

My stand: "Soldiers are responsible for the weapons they wield and the people those weapons kill."

It's not the same thing at all.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

If I was saying intention was important, I would have said intention is important. I AM saying when one sees what APPEARS as a weapon, one does not shout "cut" and get a better look. Someone will answer for it like several people on the ground already did. If one carries a tripod or a broom in such a manner as to appear like a weapon, one is taking one's chances.

Have you been a soldier?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
My apologies if the piece insulted you`re level of intelligence, CD.:smile:

Wow, that was a lovely objective piece that made claims to there being no weapons.

Why do you like media that insults the intelligence of 5 year old's JBeee?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
According to you.

I'd comfortably wager according to most, not just me.

They were looking for a reason to shoot the injured. They say as much before the van pulls up. There were no weapons in the vicinity when the van stops and attempts to take the wounded.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Really? My sons are both Cadets, they're both confirmed cowards when it comes to war, but both want a military career, so they can get their pilots licenses. One wants to fly bush planes, the other helo's.

Are you saying their intent is to kill people?

I can guarantee you, they are aware of the reality that they may be called on to do so. But they are not seeking to become pilots just to kill people like your stupidity seems to indicate.

Really? So if someone joins the military and wants to be a Medic, but ends up an Infantrymen, his intent was to kill people?

You speak of logic, like you understand it, your posts prove otherwise.

Intent was never a part of what I was originally saying in this thread. I only mentioned it because I was rephrasing what I thought lone_wolf was saying. So no, I don't that people who enter the service intend to kill others.

But I don't think intentions really matter with such a serious choice. My original point, way hack a few pages, was of couse that the US military is a backwards, unethical society that should be avoided at all costs. And this current thing with the Apaches in N. Baghdad is a good example of that.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'd comfortably wager according to most, not just me.

They were looking for a reason to shoot the injured. They say as much before the van pulls up. There were no weapons in the vicinity when the van stops and attempts to take the wounded.

but it's SOP Ton, that makes it A-OK.