U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Last thing you want ger is some kid with a "degree" out inspecting equipment operators digging hot lines,get a clue bud,thats a job for peeps that have been running equipment for 30+ years.
The school types just watch us.

What a bunch of horse ****! The people running these kind of jobs are professional engineers with years of experience, not some cat skinner or backhoe operator. Good, skilled operators are obviously needed but to engineer these kinds of jobs you need an engineer. Most important road jobs involve real engineering work and a set of drawings and that set of drawings didn't come from a cat skinner.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
What a bunch of horse ****! The people running these kind of jobs are professional engineers with years of experience, not some cat skinner or backhoe operator. Good, skilled operators are obviously needed but to engineer these kinds of jobs you need an engineer. Most important road jobs involve real engineering work and a set of drawings and that set of drawings didn't come from a cat skinner.
Sorry but your wrong,you also dont work in this field so I dont know why you think you have the expertise to even comment on it but thats an engineer thing,most I have worked with are school smart but have no idea what a machine can or cant do.

Field inspectors are allmost ALLWAYS equipment operators,you have to have experience to work on criticaly sour gas wells or pipe,years of school wont help you and you wont get an inspection job with no experience.
Most of my buddys work or own pipeline outfits so I'm telling you what it's like in the real world.
Engineers are basically laughed at for some of the ideas they come up with on paper.
Like kryptic said,you can make piles of cash doing what the engineer wants instead of what works best.
This holds true for any job I have been on.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
If Tonningtons a dirt guy I'll pay attention to what he has to say on dirt,but if hes just grabbing info off the net then I'll stick to my experience and the pics I take of reclaimed sites that speak for themselves,after a month or less you cant even tell someones been there.
The dirt work is all done by the techs long before any iron touches it,they say how thick the soils are,whats growing on it,how much organics they want seperated,etc.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
Guess hes never heard of mineral soil deposits,pure white and looks like clay,it cant permeate the punky clay so settles there doing no good.We used to mix it with #1 and #2 soils to sweeten it up as per the dirt guys instructions,after we convinced him it wasnt clay.;-)

LOL nice, obviously dirt guys are clueless at times. a.k.a tonington

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
Also, tell me tonny, how is having clay on top of a hill better then top soil? That is what I said was better, and that is indisputable. You are the one after all, that says the soils need to interplay... wtf... if there is no #1 and #2 soil to interplay, then HOW THE HELL IS THAT BETTER?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
How many of the posters expressing thein opinions on this forum actually worked in the Oil Sands?

Well, I have. I spent the summer of1974 in Fort McMurray.

Those who object to what's going on there, should swear off ever driving a gasoline-powered vehicle. They should tell the world why Canada's attempt at independence from foreign oil is so bad.

I hear the sound of silence. No surprise.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
How many of the posters expressing thein opinions on this forum actually worked in the Oil Sands?

Those who object to what's going on there, should swear off ever driving a gasoline-powered vehicle. They should tell the world why Canada's attempt at independence from foreign oil is so bad.

My stepdad ran the big bucketwheel up there around that time,or was it the dragline?
He had some good storys about how wild the camp was.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's worthwhile to note, that not one of you has explained how reduced nutrient cycling is better. I'll wait while one of you comes up with an explanation.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

How much time have you spent with the engineers at Amec designing the new plants for Imperial Oil?

I hear the sound of silence.

Maybe you should be careful what you say.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The energy industry is a real cut throat bussiness so you have to be cocky,if he's built leases as long as he has and hes still doing it then hes good at it or he wouldnt be doing it for a living.
Lots of attitudes to deal with in the patch,it's not for everyone and if your no good you wont be working in the patch period.

You didn't answer the question, but then again, you're very good at NOT answering direct questions.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
TenPenny, (I hope I spelled that correctly), I worked in the oil sands as a tire maintenamnce man. I know all about the frustration of trying to change a tire when your entire vehicle is sinking in the sands.

I met and spent many an evening sharing a beer in the pub room with engineers, pilots, mechanics and/or anyone else, willing to have a drink with with me.

I had no dealing wth Imperial Oil. The company my employer had a contract with was Great Canadian Oil Sands.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
TenPenny, (I hope I spelled that correctly), I worked in the oil sands as a tire maintenamnce man. I know all about the frustration of trying to change a tire when your entire vehicle is sinking in the sands.

I met and spent many an evening sharing a beer in the pub room with engineers, pilots, mechanics and/or anyone else, willing to have a drink with with me.

I had no dealing wth Imperial Oil. The company my employer had a contract with was Great Canadian Oil Sands.
Was Fording doing the contract stripping then?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Was Fording doing the contract stripping then?"

As far as I know, Fording Coal was operating out of Sparwood, BC, had NOTHING to do with GCOS or anything, whatsoever with Alberta Oil Sands.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
The energy industry is a real cut throat bussiness so you have to be cocky,if he's built leases as long as he has and hes still doing it then hes good at it or he wouldnt be doing it for a living.
Lots of attitudes to deal with in the patch,it's not for everyone and if your no good you wont be working in the patch period.

To true.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
"Was Fording doing the contract stripping then?"

As far as I know, Fording Coal was operating out of Sparwood, BC, had NOTHING to do with GCOS or anything, whatsoever with Alberta Oil Sands.
They had a ten year contract up there before the Elkford mine was even built.My stepdad came with them when they built the mine and lived in elkford,maybe they were called something else but the stepdad came and ran the dragline in the fording river mine from there and it was the same outfit.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Oh, I can see why that makes you specially qualified to discuss the oil sands. My apologies. Keep up the good work on your spelling, you're doing well.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There's a whole lot of stupidity and Personal Attacks going on here.
Why nobody has reported this is beyond me, & I happened to have
just stumbled across this nonsense. I will Edit and clean this up once.

If you find that your post(s) are either altered or missing out of this
Thread, and you wish to know why, feel free to review the Forum's
rules which can be accessed from a link at the bottom of every
page in every Thread.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
LOL! u kidding me?

building a road isn't rocket science, the most that goes into building a high grade road is, oh is the dirt gonna support our highway? where are we gonna get the dirt from? oh perfect, lets follow the surveyed route. Been there, done that.

Thats also the trouble, I work with schooled idiots that think they know something, guess what? they don't. These people that are "so smart" usually have a background in operating something so they don't look like you out in the field. CLUELESS.

Yes, I have made tons of money because the book learned retard told me that my dozer can push x amount in a day. LOL. well x amount is based on calculations, not real world. You people need to get out into the real world, before you comment about **** you have no idea about

In my part of the country most of the roads have bridges, and tunnels, and overpasses, etc. It's not just a bunch of dirt in a straight line as you seem to indicate. These roads, bridges,tunnels, and overpasses strangely enough, are designed by engineers. Show me a bridge designed by a heavy equipment operator and I'll do my best to stay off of it.

Last edited by a moderator: