France Wants To Ban Full Head Covering On Muslim Women

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
it does make me think that immigration should be cut from 250,000 a year to under 100,000 year as these divisive issues start to percolate up to the surface more frequently.

I don’t know about that, but I have long held the view that there should be some kind of test for the immigrants, where they are tested on their worldview, on their social mores.

In Canada we value such attributes as tolerance, diversity, multiculturalism, minority rights etc. I think immigrants should be tested on these attributes to see how strongly they support them. Those who are not strong in their support of these attributes should be denied entry to Canada.

The last thing was want is to admit fundamentalists by hundreds of thousands. That may be storing a nasty problem for the future.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
........some religious book (to which very few people pay any attention)...
lmao Joey seems ignorant of the numbers.
I don’t know about that, but I have long held the view that there should be some kind of test for the immigrants, where they are tested on their worldview, on their social mores....
Jee whiz. Last time I heard there was a test for immigrants.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
1)to vote - you should have to demonstrate you are who you say you are - so you'll have to show your face.

It is not that clearcut, pegger. I changed my opinion on this issue, I used to be of your opinion. However, currently when you go to vote, they don’t ask you for a proof of your identity (they don’t ask for your driver’s license or anything like that). Then why ask a Muslim woman to remover her veil and ask her to identify herself?

If the law is changed (and as far as I am aware, it hasn’t been yet), it should be non discriminatory everybody must produce the proof of identity, not only veiled Muslim women. Then you or I should be asked for our driver’s license, or passport etc. something to prove our identity.
Sir Joe: Where were you hiding during the past few elections? I worked the last federal election and had to ask every person who voted for ID as well as identifying themselves to see if they could tell me what name and address was on their ID. Kind of repetitive after about 300 people with names I couldn't pronounce when it was written in front of me. Same for the lasr B.C. election in May. Had to show id to vote.

At least Sarkozy has the guts to stand up and say what he and most of the rest of us think. If you carry this religious thing too far then devil worshippers must be allowed to have human sacrifices as well. I'll go one further, Sikhs should not be permitted to wear a turban in the workplace when everyone else must wear a hard hat or be fired and I say this strictly as a first aid attendant and safety committee member.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The issue is about forcing women to wear them. If these people are forced to do it then it would be just as wrong. Another issue is identification. A woman could wear a babushka when her drivers license picture was taken and it could still be used as a reasonable source of identification.
Yup it's forced on jewish, hutterrite, mennonite, nuns and sikh males. You never knew that?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yup it's forced on jewish, hutterrite, mennonite, nuns and sikh males. You never knew that?

Um no, I always thought being a nun was a choice...silly me.

Somebody should explain the dress code to Sister Antoine Daniel and Sister Alberta Sheridan

..and babushkas...there's a lady that lives a block from me that wheres one all the time. I wonder if she knows it got some religious meaning.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder how somethng like this would fit into ID for voting??? That could be
Osama Bin Ladin or George W. Bush under there...and who would know???

Posing forthe picture? Smile and say "Cheese!!!" 8O :lol::lol::lol:

P.S. I too had to produce photo ID in order to vote in the last Federal Election.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was looking (Googling) to learn why this particular garment is used in
these (generally) warm to hot climates, to see if there was a practical
use beyond just hiding a woman's features from men outside of her
family. I might have stumbled across an answer....not for all, but
maybe for some:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I was looking (Googling) to learn why this particular garment is used in
these (generally) warm to hot climates, to see if there was a practical
use beyond just hiding a woman's features from men outside of her
family. I might have stumbled across an answer....not for all, but
maybe for some:

An Italian woman?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nope...The Words "REDNECK" light up in alternating red & blue strobing LED
pin-lights...very bright at night.
I bet that makes all the women weak in the knees.

I saw a native guy dressed up like a cowboy. Does that make him a cross dresser? Is that legal?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sir Joe: Where were you hiding during the past few elections? I worked the last federal election and had to ask every person who voted for ID as well as identifying themselves to see if they could tell me what name and address was on their ID. Kind of repetitive after about 300 people with names I couldn't pronounce when it was written in front of me. Same for the lasr B.C. election in May. Had to show id to vote.

Is that the norm these days, that everybody is asked to produce a photo ID? I didn’t know. Since I have never been asked for a photo ID, I assume that they still don’t ask for it. Of course, the election officer usually knows me personally, that might be the reason. But so far I have never been asked for a photo ID, the letter I get from the election commission (which has my name on it) has been enough.

Anyway, if everybody is asked for a photo ID, then I suppose it makes sense to ask a veiled woman to remove her veil and to produce a photo ID. But the old policy, where a woman was asked to remove her veil (but presumably was not asked for a photo ID) still doesn’t make any sense.