Are people really mean in BC?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for anyone who actually answered my question instead of talking down to me. I appreciate it.

I'll repeat again that there are places that are friendly, & then places that are not. You don't have to agree with me, but I would appreciate not being lectured as to "every city has both" or the spiritual "you are a reflection..."

I'm not stupid & I have TONS of common sense. Thanks to the person who thinks he isn't mean with a comment like he made.

I find that kind of talk mean & that's what I'm talking about. If you don't have anything nice to say, then just don't say it.

You guys can say you are joking, but give me a break, I know a joke when I read one & if you don't know how to show people you are joking thru your written word, then I feel you shouldn't be on MBs writing.

I didn't realize Kelowna was that bad, Vancouver I already knew about, & the person over here who told me about Victoria.

VanIsle, yeh I can't afford to re-buy everything otherwise that would be an alternative :) Where did you move from?

Thanks

Michelle
We moved here from Vernon which is just around 30 miles from Kelowna. I love Vernon and if our kids didn't live here I would move back in a heartbeat. It is not a business town though. For ourselves and many other newcomers that we saw (business wise) we went down the drain. People there are very set in their way when it comes to who they buy from and what they buy. I don't know why people say bad things about Kelowna. It's a rapidly growing city and it is expensive to purchase a house there. Other than that - it's a great place. There are lots of wineries situated all the way from Vernon to Penticton and Oliver and Osoyoos. There are beautiful lakes and orchards. It gets more winter than we do and it can be a little gray in the Okanagan Valley in the winter but the winter is not that long there. More often than not there is no snow before mid November to early December and the end of Feb. pretty much signals the start of spring. What's not to like? January can get quite cold but isn't it everywhere across Canada?
Someone mentioned Kamloops, Prince George and Williams Lake. They are all cold places to live. Kamloops is sooo hot in the summer that I don't even like to go there to visit my sister at that time of the year. I've lived in PG and I vowed I would never go near it again when we moved away in about 1988 and I never have. I don't care for Billy's puddle much either. Wouldn't live in any of those places. A friend of ours described PG well. It's on the road to nowhere.
We are having a hot day today. I like to put these temps on for Shadow's sake. It is 33 degrees right now (5:20 PM) at the airport which means about 35 here in town. We seem to get a bout of this heat every Spring and then it levels off again.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
People in BC are mean? I'd lived in BC for about 9 bloody years, and hasen't made me any meaner has it, you bunch of eastern frenchies and orangists. What a bunch of idiotic nincompoops, thinking people in BC are mean. I'd lived there for a long time, and I turned out OK you bunch of slimy slugs.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
People in BC are mean? I'd lived in BC for about 9 bloody years, and hasen't made me any meaner has it, you bunch of eastern frenchies and orangists. What a bunch of idiotic nincompoops, thinking people in BC are mean. I'd lived there for a long time, and I turned out OK you bunch of slimy slugs.
LOL - you wouldn't say that if you could see the not so slimy but black and ugly slugs outside my back yard. A couple crept in an chewed all the leaves on my Hosta plant. I left a circle of salt out there for them. One tried to crawl through it but he(she) only made it half way through the salt. Looks like the others thought it was best not to join him. I tried some "near" beer also. Either they drank it (or maybe the neighbour's cats did)and they just left drunk because it wasn't strong enough to kill them. Guess if I keep having trouble I'll have to crack a real beer and put it out there. You do know that slugs love beer so if you put a deep enough dish of beer out, they will fall in and drown in their thirst for the taste of beer.:lol:

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Interesting comments from everyone. A few summers ago I took my kids and we drove from Edmonton to Ontario. Al along the way, if we stopped in any town or city for help or answers, the people were so nice and helpful. They would grab a map and say here, let me show you and I'll map it out for you. It was wonderful. If I had a question about a place to stay they gave great advice. Even in 'small town' Ontario, and some smaller cities. Once we hit Toronto area, forget it. It was as if they saw Alberta plates on my car, they would point a a map on the counter and say 'there's a map'... That was it. We came upon a motel, it was crappy, stayed one night, so I could sleep, and left early in the morning. Heading back north towards Sudbury area. So, tell me, what was their problem.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Another summer I took my kids and we drove to from Edmonton to Vancouver and area. We had a great time. Anywhere we stopped, for whatever reason we stopped, we were treated like we were important for business. Be it for gas, to eat, to sleep, whatever. Got all kinds of help and suggestions. If they needed to, they'd grab a map, tourist info book or whatever.We did a big travel loop that trip. Through cities of various sizes right through to villages. As I said before, although I'm not judging the people of Toronto and area, I wonder what their problem was.?.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Probably no one will notice this posting. But... Can someone please enlighten me on why it is that it seems that when I reply on a thread, that appears to be the end of any other comments on it.
Then I apologize...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Right on - I'm getting the feeling here that the thrust of this thread is more about what others can do for poor me, instead of what are the opportunities that I can take advantage of by rolling up the sleeves and getting down to business. Not everyone feels obligated to be nice to every new comer.

""Not everyone feels obligated to be nice to every new comer."" BINGO, JLM.

Should we offer some cheese to eat with her whine...........:lol:

Meanie me. Oooooooooooooooooh !!8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
""Not everyone feels obligated to be nice to every new comer."" BINGO, JLM.

Should we offer some cheese to eat with her whine...........:lol:

Meanie me. Oooooooooooooooooh !!8O

Like most people I think I can be fairly nice and friendly and I always try to be helpful to the stranger, but after awhile with a few folks it gets to be a continuous "what can you do for me"? - One of the prevalent problems I see with the youth of today that differs from when my generation was growing up is lack of gratitude and perhaps that started back in the late 60s when people started "doing their own thing". NOT ALL young people are like that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Probably no one will notice this posting. But... Can someone please enlighten me on why it is that it seems that when I reply on a thread, that appears to be the end of any other comments on it.
Then I apologize...

I found your comments quite interesting and although I've never been to Toronto, I can see what you mean. I'm basically a small town man who spent a few years living in Victoria, which has a similar reputation to a much smaller degree- some Victorians (years ago) were almost oblivious to the fact there are other places out there. I have no way of knowing if any of this is true today.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
6 months? Holy crap!! When we moved here, it took about a week. And that was at the beginning of winter. I went outside to shovel snow (1st snowfall) and ol Hugh Smith from 2 doors down walked over with his shovel and pitched in.
Springtime rolled along and next door's house caught fire. I went over to pitch in. Ended up getting one of the pumpers running again (had a mechanical problem) and made a couple suggestions on how to attack the fire (it's a volunteer fire dept here).
If it'd taken 6 months to slide into things here, we'd been looking at moving again.

I going on stories I've heard. I still live in the same city where I was born, so personal experience in this area is limited. I've left town to study, but that's different because I met people in classes right away.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Then I apologize...

Didn't happen this time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Then I apologize...

Probably because you were posting at (in mountain time) 1 and 4 AM. Not a lot of people online chit chatting at that hour. It's not a chatroom, it's a forum. Post your post, come back later to see if you got a response. If the forum is really hopping (as it tends to during the day), then you might get a reply quick enough to keep you occupied.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I'm having difficulties understanding the sweeping generalizations of the question. What's the population of BC anyway? Found it ... 4.4 million. Is it rational to suggest that those 4.4 million people, many of whom live in small towns with leisurely paced lives and surrounded by beautiful, lush, countryside, are all rude? It's impossible.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Then I apologize...
Hi Charcoal,
Karrie is right. On can.com the same posts stayed visible for days and days (and days). On here, if a hot topic gets going or if a new thread is added what you have to say can be lost before anyone ever knew you had anything to say. Don't take it personally. I would respond to you and so would others but I never see you post. I actually thought you just didn't put many replies on. There is no wait time here for a moderator to approve a new thread so new threads are on instantly. They don't take 3-4 days to show up.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Actually maybe everyone should have to take a 'means' test when coming into our
province, 'can't be mean enough'?, stay out, try again in 3 months.;-)