Legalized Cat Killing

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, I don't sanction killing other people's pets indiscriminately, but people really should control their animals. I don't like cats much at the best of times, they dig up and crap in our flower beds, they kill the birds I like to attract to the yard, they make horrible noises at night if they haven't been spayed or castrated, they spray on screens and windows and it really stinks, they used to foul the kids' sandbox when they were young enough to want one, and I really don't want them in my yard. My message to neighbours would be, have all the cats you want, but keep them out of my yard, because any critters in my yard that I don't want there are equivalent to rats as far as I'm concerned, and that's how I'll treat them.

I kill rats.

I personally wouldn't visit harm upon an animal when live trapping and delivering them to the SPCA works so well. But, I also, as a pet owner, don't expect others to view my animals the same way I do.

I make an exception with one animal we nearly killed when we lived on our acreage. It kept attacking our kids, and the SPCA had no jurisdiction to try to deal with it. Sure, the moron hippies who owned it could explain 20 times that he was just playing, but, the end result was that the kids were lying on the pavement screaming and missing skin from being knocked off their bikes. Fricking goats for pets... morons.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Mabye a humane way a dealing with the problem, would be to limit the amount of cats available to the public. Because obviously alot of Cat owners dont care about the responsibilities of owning a cat....

Im not going to go out of my way and waste money to get it to a live animal shelter and over load that shelter with pets upon pets....

Cats owners complain and complain and use humanity as an excuse not to kill animals because humanity has destroyed enough ecosystems on the world.. Thats not a good argument in my opinion, because these cat owners who let there cats run havoc in ecosystems are contributing the its decline.

You people fail to realize that conservationalists, the people we have to keep our forests in check poison exotic species, uproot invasive plants.... Where is the protest for that??? None because we appreciate the job there doing, but when it comes to your property you greedy people you will stand in defience and argue semantics just because you can.

People kill Cats in the forest, the same reason you kill Mice in your house!!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Where i live the songbirds are having enough trouble hiding there nests and young from the common grackles.. Whose numbers are exploding, with songbird habitat loss... You think these birds need cats stalking them? Especially the ground nesting birds???

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Well fed house cats hunt for fun--feral cats are concerned with feeding themselves.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Then feral cats feeding themselves are invasive species not native to North America....

But there will never be a law protecting Wild Stray Collar-less Cats in North America. Once they leave your property they are classified as an invasive species. And will be dealt with accordingly...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Mabye a humane way a dealing with the problem, would be to limit the amount of cats available to the public. Because obviously alot of Cat owners dont care about the responsibilities of owning a cat....

Im not going to go out of my way and waste money to get it to a live animal shelter and over load that shelter with pets upon pets....

Cats owners complain and complain and use humanity as an excuse not to kill animals because humanity has destroyed enough ecosystems on the world.. Thats not a good argument in my opinion, because these cat owners who let there cats run havoc in ecosystems are contributing the its decline.

You people fail to realize that conservationalists, the people we have to keep our forests in check poison exotic species, uproot invasive plants.... Where is the protest for that??? None because we appreciate the job there doing, but when it comes to your property you greedy people you will stand in defience and argue semantics just because you can.

People kill Cats in the forest, the same reason you kill Mice in your house!!

Guess, according to you, I fit into the 'you people' catagory. I am a responsible
cat owner, but my cat does go outside, and does kill a few birds, not many, as
she brings them home to the door.
I have agreed with the fact that irresponsible cat owners are a problem, and
'those people' don't care much about anything, and usually their own houses
are a disaster too.
My cat does her business in my yard, because I have organized maintained areas,
for her to do that.
She is spayed and very clean, and the neighbours have 'never' complained about
her, so I will not agree to be part of the 'you people' catagory.
When my husband worked, guys used to bring kittens to work and let them loose under the mill, (problem, and shouldn't be done.) People are lazy, won't spay
and neuter their cats, let them breed, discard kittens at their convenience,
the number of cats wandering around without a home or guidance is a big
problem, I agree.
I live in a cul de sac, and there about 4 cats in this particular area, and none
of them are a problem. A few cat yowls in the night, (some nights, not every night, doesn't bother me at all,
but a drunken party that keeps people up most of the night, is a real problem,
and there is nothing one can do about that either, my neighbour tried to
reason with 'those party people', and was scared out of her wits, and had to
go to work the next day without any sleep at all, on a week day.
Lets focus on 'REAL' problems, we are so 'without' real problems in this country
we have to turn small irritants into major problems.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Chances are that very same person who allows their pets to run at large probably haven't got the critter's shots up to date either. Do you have any idea what diseases my grandkids can pick up from your cat pooping in their sandbox?

children sneezing and coughing in cats faces and all of our faces, cause a much
bigger problem.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
children sneezing and coughing in cats faces and all of our faces, cause a much
bigger problem.

Children don't come into your yard unwelcome, and sneeze in your face.

We're talking about cats violating other people's private property, not being invited in.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
and im arguing that those one or two birds being killed by your cat weekly can have an affect on there respective population trying to cope in the city environment....

Those finches (except the house sparrow which is an exotic species) arent as numerous around my parts as the Common Redpolls, Chikadees, Sterlings (Another invasive species) etc etc

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
probably not many cats left around your neighbourhood.

I'm only kidding Gil, I know you don't eat cats, I think.
I think not, too. lol

Actually we have 5 cats at the moment. 1 Isn't fixed. Between the pack rats and the mice, we'd never have any chicken food left 2 days after buying it. With the kitties around the food actually gets eaten by the chickens, besides the bugs n whatnot they eat. lol

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
im not exaggerating, im telling the facts from fiction.... Something cat owners have trouble with understanding...

Exotic Species managemtn in this country is a very serious issue... But because the majority of our country lives in cities, this little fact gets overlooked....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
and im arguing that those one or two birds being killed by your cat weekly can have an affect on there respective population trying to cope in the city environment....

Those finches (except the house sparrow which is an exotic species) arent as numerous around my parts as the Common Redpolls, Chikadees, Sterlings (Another invasive species) etc etc

I am living with the trade off, as I will not shut my cat in the house, for me that
is just as cruel as the deaths of a few birds. We will disagree on this point, but that
is it for me, and will continue to be.
I used to live out in the country on a treed acerage, and the amount of birds was
amazing, thousands, and several different kinds. She still only came home with
a few each season, she doesn't enjoy hunting birds all day, every day, she sleeps
most of the day, and is 'in' with us most of the time, but she does have her
time out during the day, and is out most of the evening till about midnight, so
she isn't hunting birds in the dark, and doesn't bring them home in the night.
Cats sleep most of their life, more than dogs.
When we come home in the afternoon, she is sound asleep in her little kennel,
right outside the door.
And, by the way she hasn't brought a bird home yet, this year,but when the young ones
fly awkwardly, I think that is when she grabs the odd one.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think not, too. lol

Actually we have 5 cats at the moment. 1 Isn't fixed. Between the pack rats and the mice, we'd never have any chicken food left 2 days after buying it. With the kitties around the food actually gets eaten by the chickens, besides the bugs n whatnot they eat. lol

I understand that problem, we don't live in the country any longer, but we used
to. Any self respecting mouse won't come within a mile of this house, because
our cat would have her in a minute.
There was a rat living in my compost pile all winter, hope he had good meals,
he is gone now, and the compost is in the garden. I've never seen him, or any
rat in this area, but there must be a few around.