Legalized Cat Killing

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
BTW, there are finches, pine siskins, chickadees, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, too many crows, ravens, golden eagles, bald eagles, osprey, geese, swans fly through here every year, flickers, stellar jays, robins, must be a dozen different owls, etc. around here. even our 5 cats don't get many. It's easier for them to catch moles, shrews, etc.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Talloola if your going to make that trade off then you should accept what happens after... I contacted my local Conservation office, they said and encouraged me to get rid of stray cats outside of the city limits...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
BTW, there are finches, pine siskins, chickadees, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, too many crows, ravens, golden eagles, bald eagles, osprey, geese, swans fly through here every year, flickers, stellar jays, robins, etc. around here. even our 5 cats don't get many. It's asier to catch moles, shrews, etc. for them

That's right. I have two bird feeders, in my yard, way out in the open, where the cat can't hide, as they will see her, and if they do, they are gone immediately.
They come by the flocks, and enjoy their meals, while my cat lays around,
either sleeping, or watching them, with envy and desire, but no success.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I better go now, have lots of work to do, but first, I have to strap on my cats
fake wings, so she can even out the playing field, and have a chance,
those darn birds have real wings, just makes them too hard to catch.
Life just isn't fair.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola if your going to make that trade off then you should accept what happens after... I contacted my local Conservation office, they said and encouraged me to get rid of stray cats outside of the city limits...

I'm inside the city limits, but thanks for the warning.;-)
I Imagine many cats are dumped off outside the city limits.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Here's it's being inside the city limits that's the biggest risk for your cat. Cats just aren't allowed to roam free, plain and simple. For all the reasons people have given in here, it's just not allowed. If they're loose, they'd better be darn clever and good runners, because people will trap, or catch them, and turn them in.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Here's it's being inside the city limits that's the biggest risk for your cat. Cats just aren't allowed to roam free, plain and simple. For all the reasons people have given in here, it's just not allowed. If they're loose, they'd better be darn clever and good runners, because people will trap, or catch them, and turn them in.

that's fair.
10 years ago, when we moved to this neighbourhood, our close neighbour,
warned me that he traps cats, and hates cats, we glared at each other for a
few minutes, and nothing more was said. Well, that cat is dead, my husband
accidently ran over her in our driveway, we both cried that night. This cat
has been here for 8 years, and wanders all over the place, as there is a
bush on the outside of the area, where she visits, and walks right through his
yard, on the way, and he has never bothered her,( he seems to like her now),or the other
one, or any of the cats in this area.
All smoke, but no fire, all mouth, but a 'soft spot' non the less, he and I are
friends and have had no problems since that day.

Last edited:

birdwatcher

Apr 20, 2011
I don't mind house cats, but cats that roam the neighborhoods and forrests killing and destroying nests and amphibians just to fulfill thier instincts to hunt and kill should not be allowed. When I hunt for birds for food, myself and my fellow hunters will kill a cat on site in the woods because of the destruction they cause to quail and other birds. In my hood, I trap them so they don't destroy the bird nests of Baltimore Orioles, and other songbirds that eat mosquitoes and insects around my home.

If it where legal, I would shoot them on site and hang their collars on the doors of the owners or mail it to them as a warning. I have owned a few cats and enjoyed them allot,,,,"in my home".

If you wouldn't allow a lion in your living room, why would you allow a cat in you backyard? Some of you cat lovers are out of touch with reality just like the enviourmentalist in our country.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't mind house cats, but cats that roam the neighborhoods and forrests killing and destroying nests and amphibians just to fulfill thier instincts to hunt and kill should not be allowed. When I hunt for birds for food, myself and my fellow hunters will kill a cat on site in the woods because of the destruction they cause to quail and other birds. In my hood, I trap them so they don't destroy the bird nests of Baltimore Orioles, and other songbirds that eat mosquitoes and insects around my home.

If it where legal, I would shoot them on site and hang their collars on the doors of the owners or mail it to them as a warning. I have owned a few cats and enjoyed them allot,,,,"in my home".

If you wouldn't allow a lion in your living room, why would you allow a cat in you backyard? Some of you cat lovers are out of touch with reality just like the enviourmentalist in our country.
As a hunter shouldn't you eat eveything you kill?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'm 100% behind your principal, when you have a bunch of critters co inhabiting and some are a menace to the others, then you have to make a decision as to the benefits and liabilities. Quail and orioles are wild, cats are supposedly domestic, so like you I would discharge the cat- if it can't be returned to a domestic situation.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would discharge the cat- if it can't be returned to a domestic situation.
I'm all for a solution but bagging one cat here and there doesn't solve the problem. Around here there is one spot where everybody dumps their cat when they get tired of it or whatever. That is a lot of cats and for the most part some groups try and care for them out of their own pockets. It's an ongoing problem, for myself if they eat a quail that I think belongs on my plate instead of theirs the solution would be to let them have a meal as missing that one plate isn't going to kill me.

Couldn't 'science' come up with a birth control med that could be added to something they would willing eat or drink? Stopping the births in the wild might solve that part but people will still abandon a cat by taking it to the woods and letting it go.