This summer may see first ice-free North Pole

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
From the website where Walter got this graph from
Decline in Arctic Sea Ice Extent

Passive microwave satellite data reveal that, since 1979, winter Arctic ice extent has decreased about 4.2 percent per decade (Meier et al. 2006). Antarctic ice extent is increasing (Cavalieri et al. 2003), but the trend is small.
Satellite data from the SMMR and SSM/I instruments have been combined with earlier observations from ice charts and other sources to yield a time series of Arctic ice extent from the early 1900s onward. While the pre-satellite records are not as reliable, their trends are in good general agreement with the satellite record and indicate that Arctic sea ice extent has been declining since at least the early 1950s

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ice extent, downward trend. Ice thickness down. It probably won't be this summer, but I'd bet money that the Arctic will be ice free in the summer before 2020. Just look at the trends in ice age:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Of course. If we didn't include changes in solar forcing, then we wouldn't have seasons. There is a solar lull right now and yet the temperature and it's secondary responses remains above the long term average. Funny huh?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Depends on the database...The satellite records aren't old enough to even have a long term average really. Barely even a baseline period.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
My point is: Ice-free Pole or Ice-free Great Lakes, what in the hell is the difference????

Just as no human activity was responsible for the Ice Age or reversal therof, no human activity can be blamed for an Ice-free North Pole.

MOTHER NATURE, you know?!?!