Racist Anti-Obama Cartoon From NY Post

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It's the Post, a Rupert Murdoch "rag". If you haven't figured out that Murdoch is a racist yet, you don't get out much. The Publisher is Carlucci and the Editor is Col Allen, both RNC "good 'ol boys"

I mean even the National Enquirer has more crediblity

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hmmmm.....Fried Chicken and Watermelon....Aghhhh....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The opposite page in yesterday's Post dealt with Obama's bill. This cartoon appeared just opposite of it. Catch the NYC news online and you will see how the City reacted to it.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Never heard of it.

Runtime: 90 mins
Genre: Dramas

Theatrical Release:Oct 27, 2006 Limited
Box Office: $167,000

Synopsis: Winner of the International Critics' Prize at the Toronto Film Festival, "DEATH OF A PRESIDENT" is conceived as a fictional TV documentary broadcast in 2008, reflecting on a monstrously despicable... Winner of the International Critics' Prize at the Toronto Film Festival, "DEATH OF A PRESIDENT" is conceived as a fictional TV documentary broadcast in 2008, reflecting on a monstrously despicable and cataclysmic event: the assassination of President George W. Bush on October 19th, 2007. The "documentary" combines archival footage and carefully composed interviews, presented in a respectful and dignified manner. It is exciting and questioning, and it offers viewers a riveting story, creating a provocative political thriller that reveals larger truths. But the film doesn't advocate violence; rather, it shows the pernicious effects of violence The film opens with ferocious energyas frenetically edited archival footage thrusts us into a raging crowd of protesters, waiting for President Bush's procession. The President is portrayed as a sympathetic and likable man-beloved by those close to him and charming to his followers. As the President gives a patriotic speech inside a hotel, the demonstrators' fury increases to the breaking point. The tension mounts until the horrible instant where the President is assassinated. After the assassination, the film shifts into the style of a mystery, and follows the FBI's hunt for the assassin. All the suspects are interviewed except one-the Syrian man who is convicted and put on death row. There is much circumstantial evidence against him. But is he guilty of the crime? Or does his Middle Eastern origin provide a convenient excuse to label the death of the President as an Act of Terror? Director Gabriel Range previously used the device of a "retrospective documentary" in his celebrated 2003 film "The Day Britain Stopped," about a chain of events that led to a breakdown of the country's transport system and nearly a hundred fatalities. Both of these films have been acclaimed for the technical virtuosity with which they combine archival footage and filmed scenes to create disturbingly real visions of catastrophes. --© Newmarket Films [Less]

Starring: George W. Bush, Becky Ann Baker, Michael Reilly Burke, Hend Ayoub
Starring: George W. Bush, Becky Ann Baker, Michael Reilly Burke, Hend Ayoub, Brian Boland, Robert Mangiardi, Jay Patterson, James Urbaniak, Neko Parham, Seena Jon, Christian Stolte, Tony Dale
Director: Gabriel Range
Director: Gabriel Range
Screenwriter: Simon Finch, Gabriel Range
Producer: Simon Finch, Ed Guiney, Gabrielle Range
Studio: Newmarket Films

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The opposite page in yesterday's Post dealt with Obama's bill. This cartoon appeared just opposite of it. Catch the NYC news online and you will see how the City reacted to it.

It has to do with the bill, no doubt, but it's not depicting Obama himself as a monkey. At least I didn't see it that way, anyway. I thought it was more of a criticism of the bill itself....you know, any monkey can have written it. It's insulting, but political cartoon do tend to be. I don't think it's racist.

Of course, just not believing Obama is "the one" is pretty much considered racist nowadays, so I guess it's just par for the course. :cool:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion. But most of you on this forum are Canadian, not Yanks like I am. And while most here think you fully understand the Yanky mentality, you really don't. Moreover, as a New Yorker, I have far more knowledge of that particular city and its culture and thought patterns.

The view that this was a racist attack on Obama is hardly unique to me. Thousands of NYers, including many conservatives, feel that it is that way as well. The Post has been hammered by all sides for is stupidity. And it will continue to pay the consequences of its choices.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
The fact that both sides of the political arena have spoken out about the post as it being a strickly racist cartoon says to me that the Post has decided to fall out of the political line which has been set for the media. Governments are notorious for controlling the media. In our case I think the most noted was Ralgh Cline of Alberta. It was noted by many journalists that if you were the least bit off track with him you get in the news conferences to ask the questions you wanted answers to. Same if you asked the wrong question - that was the last question.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Never heard of it.

Where have you been, Gopher? That movie was quite well known when it was made. If you say you are an American, it is even more remarkable that you haven’t heard of it.

The cartoon may be racist, in bad taste, may even show hatred against Obama, all that is beside the point. They have freedom of speech in USA; The Post had a perfect right to print the cartoon.

To those who don’t like the cartoon, don’t buy or read the Post. As somebody said, if by now anybody hasn’t figured out that Murdoch is a racist (or at least a Republican), he has been living in a bubble.

But the point is, it is a question of freedom of speech. No doubt there have been equally offensive cartoons from the left.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The fact that both sides of the political arena have spoken out about the post as it being a strickly racist cartoon says to me that the Post has decided to fall out of the political line which has been set for the media. Governments are notorious for controlling the media. In our case I think the most noted was Ralgh Cline of Alberta. It was noted by many journalists that if you were the least bit off track with him you get in the news conferences to ask the questions you wanted answers to. Same if you asked the wrong question - that was the last question.

I'm not sure if you were living in Alberta during the Klein reign but he was constantly hammered by the media. Considering his extremely high approval rating, it's pretty clear the media was out of step with the reality around them. Not surprising then to hear them whine.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Gopher.... How dare you display the very epitome of satire - one Alfred E Newman - then fret of racism in same because the PC crowd now feel a need to tippy-toe around editorial cartoonery. When one is robbed of a giggle, political correctness isn't much better than reverse racism. Bailiff! Whack his ... um ... well, you know....

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
It was racist, it was against Obama's stimulus package and some idiot allowed it to be published. There, what else constructive is there to say.

Last edited: