Younger Generation - Dumb or Stupid or Both- Yes or No

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ah Tonington you even write that note about her with love in your heart

Nobody is perfect - she's probably not anal about a lot of rituals you take for granted like the light issue - but on the other hand she could be the opposite and want to tidy a newspaper before anyone has finished reading all the sections - or dusting around you when you are relaxing watching the tube....

There are trade offs everywhere and I'd rather see a calm collected woman around the house that some of the banshee sisters I grew up with - you could eat off their floors! So who would ever want to in the reality of things? Just wasting a lot of good times relaxing and enjoying being with one you love is best...
aw you know that!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ah Tonington you even write that note about her with love in your heart

Nobody is perfect - she's probably not anal about a lot of rituals you take for granted like the light issue - but on the other hand she could be the opposite and want to tidy a newspaper before anyone has finished reading all the sections - or dusting around you when you are relaxing watching the tube....

:D She's anal about the formation of paper and textbooks that surround her. They all have a place, and if I come along and move one of them it throws her off. That's just her learning style. Can't really think off hand of anything she's anal about when it comes to tidying and housework. Really I'm the anal one.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
What choices did we have that are denied to them? :smile:

Guess the appropriate word would be "opportunity" in that case, but they seem to make a lot of wrong choices now. Do they have to many choices and are overwhelmed, I don't know. Wonder how many today would do if Mommy and Daddy sent them out to work or college when they were around 18 and let them sink or swim. Just to many kids are like boomerangs today :smile:, and of course the parents end up supporting them again. There are of course those who do perfectly fine in life that we can be proud of. Unfortunately sometimes they don't get enough praise for doing good.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
:D She's anal about the formation of paper and textbooks that surround her. They all have a place, and if I come along and move one of them it throws her off. That's just her learning style. Can't really think off hand of anything she's anal about when it comes to tidying and housework. Really I'm the anal one.
Now that is why you are a Liberal:smile:;-)

MaynardKing

Sep 19, 2010
Vancouver
I think the new generation is very smart, but they are not balanced, and therefore cannot mature properly yet. there is a nice blog post about the topic here :
Ten Million Slaves: New Generation of kids..

In my opinion people in the west have been educated worse and worse, but when i see my friends kids, i realize they have the potential to be smarter than any previous generation

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think the new generation is very smart, but they are not balanced, and therefore cannot mature properly yet. there is a nice blog post about the topic here :
Ten Million Slaves: New Generation of kids..

In my opinion people in the west have been educated worse and worse, but when i see my friends kids, i realize they have the potential to be smarter than any previous generation

Smart is some ways and dumber than a bag a hammers on many. We, meaning many of us grew up have a paper route, shoveling snow and other ways to make money to buy what we wanted. Now we see high income offering - if you do this i will buy that.

I remember arriving in St Albert in the spring of 96 - Wife was waiting till end on school year in NB.

So i looked at housing etc and shopped around.

We had a meeting with our real estate agent as my wife had come out in early late Apr -May -

A bunch of teenagers came in to the place where were were having coffee - and each and everyone had on clothes that i could not afford to buy my self or for my daughter - leather coats that went then for about 700 $ at that time, I knew because i was looking them over in the stores - driving cars their parents bought and they were new cars -

I think we missed out on many values to teach this generation.

And I completely disagree with this common statement we hear - Older people gripe about younger generation as not being polite etc.

This is not he case today as we see behavior that is completely off the scale of basic common decency. We see teenagers - 18 -20 that cannot think a problem though -

Then the same with 20-25 or 30 year olds that need to stay at home because they quit school and cannot find a job that permits them to live on their own.

I think in some cases and i am only describing some cases that we stole their ability to think for themselves, be responsible and think, really think about what is next in life.

Lastly - Alberta does have a fine educational system - and if the school cannot teach them do what we did - Hire a tutor.

We gave the material and set to the side the other important parts of maturing

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Smart is some ways and dumber than a bag a hammers on many. We, meaning many of us grew up have a paper route, shoveling snow and other ways to make money to buy what we wanted. Now we see high income offering - if you do this i will buy that.

I remember arriving in St Albert in the spring of 96 - Wife was waiting till end on school year in NB.

So i looked at housing etc and shopped around.

We had a meeting with our real estate agent as my wife had come out in early late Apr -May -

A bunch of teenagers came in to the place where were were having coffee - and each and everyone had on clothes that i could not afford to buy my self or for my daughter - leather coats that went then for about 700 $ at that time, I knew because i was looking them over in the stores - driving cars their parents bought and they were new cars -

I think we missed out on many values to teach this generation.

And I completely disagree with this common statement we hear - Older people gripe about younger generation as not being polite etc.

This is not he case today as we see behavior that is completely off the scale of basic common decency. We see teenagers - 18 -20 that cannot think a problem though -

Then the same with 20-25 or 30 year olds that need to stay at home because they quit school and cannot find a job that permits them to live on their own.

I think in some cases and i am only describing some cases that we stole their ability to think for themselves, be responsible and think, really think about what is next in life.

Lastly - Alberta does have a fine educational system - and if the school cannot teach them do what we did - Hire a tutor.

We gave the material and set to the side the other important parts of maturing

VEry well written post Goober and very accurate. :smile:

She still leaves the lights on when she leaves a room...drives me bonkers! I was cooking, ironing, doing laundry, before I hit junior high! Well, the ironing I think was after junior high, started doing lots of that when I went into Air Cadets.

She's actually really good about spending money wisely. So that's not a great big land mine to deal with. It's more of the domestic load that she's not so good for, but getting better.

At my advanced age I recently started thinking about some of the stuff you've mentioned in a little different way. You can only do one thing at a time (properly that is) whether it's flicking a light switch or building a piano, so while doing that particular thing I concentrate on doing it right. It doesn't take much longer than doing it wrong. :smile:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
VEry well written post Goober and very accurate. :smile:

At my advanced age I recently started thinking about some of the stuff you've mentioned in a little different way. You can only do one thing at a time (properly that is) whether it's flicking a light switch or building a piano, so while doing that particular thing I concentrate on doing it right. It doesn't take much longer than doing it wrong. :smile:

I get a tad upset when some idiot starts talking about Multi-Tasking - The brain is unable to Multi-Task -

What they should be talking about are those that can keep a lot of things going at the same time - juggling and having the right answers when problems arise - Ability the Multi Shift Thinking/Problem Solving - addressing it quickly and efficiently so as to arrive at the correct answer and then have the ability to return to what you were working on without missing more than a heartbeat. And then wait for the next one that throws you off track.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I get a tad upset when some idiot starts talking about Multi-Tasking - The brain is unable to Multi-Task -

/QUOTE]

Like driving, texting, drinking coffee and putting on lipstick. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Multi tasking is definitely bullsh*t. It is impossible for the human brain to think of more than one thing at a time. Try it. :smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In other words, you can't walk and talk at the same time?

That's multi tasking, and I have no problem with doing it.

You can go through the motions, but it's at times like that when people step on broken glass or slip on black ice or trip on the edge of the curb.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
Well, is the younger generation dumber? I don't know. It would certainly seem that they know less of what many think is important, but I would bet that they know by far a lot more than any generation in history. It may not be what we would consider academic, but knowledge nonetheless. Add to this the fact that as we age, our opinions change and so we look at those much younger as being dumb because they think different than those that are older. I would also like to point out that as a 29 year old, I generally find I know more about what is going on in the world than an average person twice my age. I fine people of all generations are dumb. It's just that older people think they know everything, even though they don't. When they notice that there is an area that where they know significantly more that a younger person (like how to spell), they use that as evidence that elders are smarter, all the while forgetting that younger people know a ton of things that elders know nothing about (like computers); thus they are very selective in their gathering of evidence.

Reactions: Bar Sinister

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Well, is the younger generation dumber? I don't know. It would certainly seem that they know less of what many think is important, but I would bet that they know by far a lot more than any generation in history. It may not be what we would consider academic, but knowledge nonetheless. Add to this the fact that as we age, our opinions change and so we look at those much younger as being dumb because they think different than those that are older. I would also like to point out that as a 29 year old, I generally find I know more about what is going on in the world than an average person twice my age. I fine people of all generations are dumb. It's just that older people think they know everything, even though they don't. When they notice that there is an area that where they know significantly more that a younger person (like how to spell), they use that as evidence that elders are smarter, all the while forgetting that younger people know a ton of things that elders know nothing about (like computers); thus they are very selective in their gathering of evidence.

Well said - from a much older person.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You're about half right. Older people are more shrewd than younger people - we know what we have to know to get by. We know enough not to make a big decision the same day we get the idea. We recognize what is fact and what is emotion and act accordingly. We know the most important people we have to get respect from is ourselves..................we (at least the mature ones) don't give a sh*t what the Joneses next door think. WE recognize the important things in life, family, health, credit rating in that order and the unimportant things houses, cars, wealth. :smile::smile::smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the younger generation does know many things that we did not know at that age, but the question is,
should they know those things.

little girls saying they are sexy, dressing way older than their age. looking way past their present
time of their life, trying to be attractive and sexy before they are 11.

I, and my daughters both, thought about nothing more than, sports, fishing, dance classes, playing music, bike riding,
horse back riding, etc., till we were at least 13, then the change began.

I saw a little girl about 11 in the store yesterday, with high heels on, and makeup, she looked silly.

the loose conversation between boys and girls in elementary school is astonishing, and also sad, their
childhood is disappearing way too fast.

i'm concerned that many young people don't know how to 'write', they say they don't need to, what a shame.
I think it's up to the individual teacher, but my grandson is not being taught to write, the teacher
doesn't see it as important at all, everything is printed.

for a long time now, i've noticed that many many young people cannot figure out simple math equations
manually, if their computers are not handy, they take a long time, and become nervous.
i've noticed in stores on many occasions, workers cannot figure out simple adding or subtracting in
their head, they don't know where to begin, their computer figures out all of the change for customers,
and that is OK, but if asked, they should know how to do it without a computer.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Knowing a bunch of stuff does not make someone smart. Knowledge and intelligence are not mutually inclusive. But knowledge + intelligence + experience can make a person wise. What good is a box full of tools if you don't know how to use them?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I had a question for the good participants here....

Is the younger generation well equipped to turn over the operation of the nation as it stands now? Can we
expect continuity with some "added and more updated attractions" or will there be a reversal because the
knowledge was never shared, nor taught, nor learned.

What are the young learning - they seem to have much "processed" for their smooth passage into the good life
but they seem to be missing the bag of knowledge necessary for finding solution and problem solving.

Yup I'm getting old...............grrrrrr