Yep, Cuba is just awesome!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Some posters here claimed that the political system in Cuba is A-OK, because the people support it.

As one who came from a formerly Communist country, I know that the so-called support is attained under duress. Those in my old country who dared NOT to support the Communists ended up in prison, or concentration camp. Exactly like present day dissenters in Cuba.

Maybe those who spend their vacation time and money in Cuba should visit jails and talk to political prisoners.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Some posters here claimed that the political system in Cuba is A-OK, because the people support it.

As one who came from a formerly Communist country, I know that the so-called support is attained under duress. Those in my old country who dared NOT to support the Communists ended up in prison, or concentration camp. Exactly like present day dissenters in Cuba.

Maybe those who spend their vacation time and money in Cuba should visit jails and talk to political prisoners.

Huh? You can spend your hard earned $$$ to go & visit prisons. Me....I'll pass on that.
We seem to have very different ideas as to what a vacation actually is.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

You mean the political prisoners paid off by the American government to create instability within the Cuban government? Oh

You mean the political dissenters who get better medical attention in Cuba than a poor American in the U.S? Oh

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm divided between Yukon and Ron....

I don't go galivanting off to sunny climes (lol) anyway.....but would I go to Cuba?

I'm kinda of a boycott guy, I seriously dislike spending money in places where I believe it goes to support a corrupt and offensive political system.

And Raul is worse than Fidel.....very prone, back in the day, to making people dig their own graves before he had them shot. That sorta thing. Not a nice man, and a dedicated communista from way before the revolution....not so Fidel.

At the same time, I recognize some of Cuba's achievements.......and might be willing to visit......although my resolve to boycott, I admit, is seriously weakened by my desire to make a pilgrimage to Hemingway's home.

Ernest hated the communistas.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Lack of health insurance causes roughly 18,000 unnecessary deaths every year in the United States."[18] while a 2009 Harvard study published in the American Journal of Public Health found a much higher figure of more than 44,800 excess deaths annually in the United States due to Americans lacking health insurance.[20][21]
What have I told you about sourcing from wikiality?

I never said the US was perfect. But as Colpy said, a shorter life in freedom, then not.

Besides that, do you know the life expectancy rates for the US and Cuba? I do. There's a point three difference. 18,000 needless deaths out of 307,000,000+ people? Them's some good odds.

Find me a source that says otherwise
Try your own researching. Google is your friend.

Um, almost all countries accept passports as valid for international travel and valid for entry.. If you don't have one, you aren't leaving, because you can't go anywhere... this isn't hard to understand really.
Is that by the country of origin? And apparently, you're still having a great deal of difficulty understanding it.

Stop confusing the issue with facts YJ.

Just checked the weather, & it's +23c in Varadero right now, & feels like +30c
with the Humidex. That's a tad warmer than Regina, Saskatchewan at this
point. I'm looking forward to seeing greenery outdoors, instead of what I'm
seeing through my picture window right now.

Everywhere has its own issues, and no place is perfect, and yeah, my giving
away gifts to kids over Christmas as I wander is a huge sign of the disparity
between living conditions between Canada & elsewhere. I still plan on having
a fantastic time with an open mind, and am looking forward to it again.
YouTube - Don't feed the trolls

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Huh? You can spend your hard earned $$$ to go & visit prisons. Me....I'll pass on that.
We seem to have very different ideas as to what a vacation actually is.

True, I have some non-conventional ideas about vacations.

Since 1993 I spent at least two of my six weeks vacation doing voluntary work, mostly for Habitat for Humanity. After I retired for the first two year I kept up that pace but then my health forced me to stop.

I only tried to tell you that the few bucks you save visiting Cuba instead of somewhere else comes at a very high price of human suffering.

But if you enjoy it, enjoy it!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You mean the political prisoners paid off by the American government to create instability within the Cuban government? Oh

You mean the political dissenters who get better medical attention in Cuba than a poor American in the U.S? Oh

Oh, GIVE IT A BREAK!

Yes, the USA has been anti-Cuba, but I don't think they were paying off the 73 writers and intellectuals jailed just a couple of years ago, after they were denounced by others in the intellectual "underground" by others subverted by the Cuban secret services.

Oh, I'm sorry, you mean instability caused by having a thought not government-approved!!!! (insert rolled eyes here)

As for health services, the life expectancy in Cuba and the USA is EXACTLY the same. There is simply no legitimate argument that can be made on either side of that issue.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
I'm divided between Yukon and Ron....

I don't go galivanting off to sunny climes (lol) anyway.....but would I go to Cuba?

I'm kinda of a boycott guy, I seriously dislike spending money in places where I believe it goes to support a corrupt and offensive political system.

And Raul is worse than Fidel.....very prone, back in the day, to making people dig their own graves before he had them shot. That sorta thing. Not a nice man, and a dedicated communista from way before the revolution....not so Fidel.

At the same time, I recognize some of Cuba's achievements.......and might be willing to visit......although my resolve to boycott, I admit, is seriously weakened by my desire to make a pilgrimage to Hemingway's home.

Ernest hated the communistas.

Actually, Raul is a pretty nice guy. He has 3 daughters and a wife. He doesn't hate Americans and had this to say

n regards to relations with the US, Raul Castro said in an interview:
The American people are among our closest neighbors. We should respect each other. We have never held anything against the American people. Good relations would be mutually advantageous. Perhaps we cannot solve all of our problems, but we can solve a good many of them.[26]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raúl_Castro#cite_note-25

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raúl_Castro#cite_note-25

Under Raul the salary of all state-run companies was overhauled to allocate more of the money to the harder-working employees. I'm sure this is something you can agree with.

Oh, GIVE IT A BREAK!

Yes, the USA has been anti-Cuba, but I don't think they were paying off the 73 writers and intellectuals jailed just a couple of years ago, after they were denounced by others in the intellectual "underground" by others subverted by the Cuban secret services.

Oh, I'm sorry, you mean instability caused by having a thought not government-approved!!!! (insert rolled eyes here)

As for health services, the life expectancy in Cuba and the USA is EXACTLY the same. There is simply no legitimate argument that can be made on either side of that issue.

Are you sure? Lol, the Americans are very persistent. The CIA tried to execute Fidel an innumerable amount of times. He had more attempts on his life than Hitler.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Um, almost all countries accept passports as valid for international travel and valid for entry.. If you don't have one, you aren't leaving, because you can't go anywhere... this isn't hard to understand really.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the original point was that Canada does not restrict our ability to leave the country. We do not require exit visas, unlike other countries. Unless you are under specific legal restrictions, you are free to leave Canada at will, passport or not.

You are confusing that with the ability to enter a foreign country. They are not the same thing, and you cannot seem to grasp the point.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is simply no legitimate argument that can be made on either side of that issue.
Unless you're retarded and get all your info from wikiality...

Actually, Raul is a pretty nice guy. He has 3 daughters and a wife. He doesn't hate Americans and had this to say

The American people are among our closest neighbors. We should respect each other. We have never held anything against the American people. Good relations would be mutually advantageous. Perhaps we cannot solve all of our problems, but we can solve a good many of them.[26]

Under Raul the salary of all state-run companies was overhauled to allocate more of the money to the harder-working employees. I'm sure this is something you can agree with.

Wikiliality, the only source, until it disproves some peoples idiocy.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
What you don't seem to grasp is that the original point was that Canada does not restrict our ability to leave the country. We do not require exit visas, unlike other countries. Unless you are under specific legal restrictions, you are free to leave Canada at will, passport or not.

You are confusing that with the ability to enter a foreign country. They are not the same thing, and you cannot seem to grasp the point.

You're very confused. You have no ability to enter a foreign country without a government issued passport, thus you cannot leave. Easy to comprehend really.

Unless you're retarded and get all your info from wikiality...

Wikiliality, the only source, until it disproves some peoples idiocy.

As opposed to your source of Fox News? :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You're very confused. You have no ability to enter a foreign country without a government issued passport, thus you cannot leave. Easy to comprehend really.

If you say it three more times, someone might actually believe in this drivel. But don't count on those that understand reality to believe it for a second.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

If you say it three more times, someone might actually believe in this drivel. But don't count on those that understand reality to believe it for a second.

Don't believe it, just try to travel abroad without a passport and see how far you get.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Okay. So your point is that there is a legal restriction on Canadians leaving the country, that we require exit visas and must show our passports to leave the country.

Can you show me where CBSA checks our passports on the way out?

Got a list of those checkpoints?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Are you sure? Lol, the Americans are very persistent. The CIA tried to execute Fidel an innumerable amount of times. He had more attempts on his life than Hitler.

"......soon after occupying Santiago, Raul Castro directed a mass execution of over 70 captured soldiers by bulldozing a trench, standing the condemned men in front of it, and mowing them down with machine guns"

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life, by Jon Lee Anderson. p. 388

One incident of many.

In a revolutionary war in which his compatriots (Che and Fidel) were treating captured soldiers' wounds and releasing them. And in which Che demanded a high level of impartiality and evidence in post-revolutionary trials of the worst of Batista's butchers.

A nasty man, Raul.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Okay. So your point is that there is a legal restriction on Canadians leaving the country, that we require exit visas and must show our passports to leave the country.

Can you show me where CBSA checks our passports on the way out?

Got a list of those checkpoints?

No, I know a passport isn't needed to leave. But without one, what country will you be accepted into???? You can't go anywhere. Why would there be a law against leaving when you can't go anywhere anyways.. Not until you get a passport issued so other countries will accept you.

Btw, this whole argument started when CDNBear made the erroneous claim that Cubans aren't allowed to leave their own country, :lol: .

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't believe it, just try to travel abroad without a passport and see how far you get.
All the way to Florida, Texas, and several other American States.

Hundreds of Tamil refugees are doing it all the time.

Before them, Cambodians, Russians, Vietnamese, and so on.

You still haven't figured out who's actually doing the stopping and why.

I have a criminal record, Canada didn't deny me a passport, or permission to leave the country. Hell the Khadar family have passports.

I do not require an exit visa to leave Canada. I require it to re-enter. Which is why other countries can and will deny entry. But Canada, does not and will not deny exit.

And I bet you still can't grasp that.

No, I know a passport isn't needed to leave.
Then you're argument is pointless.

But without one, what country will you be accepted into????
That's not Canada's responsibly. Nor is it Canada confining it's people, or restricting movement.

Btw, this whole argument started when CDNBear made the erroneous claim that Cubans aren't allowed to leave their own country, :lol: .
You can put all the laughing smilies you want after that lie, it's still BS.

"......soon after occupying Santiago, Raul Castro directed a mass execution of over 70 captured soldiers by bulldozing a trench, standing the condemned men in front of it, and mowing them down with machine guns"

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life, by Jon Lee Anderson. p. 388

One incident of many.

In a revolutionary war in which his compatriots (Che and Fidel) were treating captured soldiers' wounds and releasing them. And in which Che demanded a high level of impartiality and evidence in post-revolutionary trials of the worst of Batista's butchers.

A nasty man, Raul.
But Colpy, he has a wife and two daughters, and he recently decided to pay the Gov't workers a few more sheckles.

He's a good guy, cuz wikiality says so...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No, I know a passport isn't needed to leave. But without one, what country will you be accepted into???? You can't go anywhere. Why would there be a law against leaving when you can't go anywhere anyways.. Not until you get a passport issued so other countries will accept you.

I actually had Cubans that had fought in the Revolution at my dinner table, back in the late 60s and early 70s. My dad was an inspector for the Dep't of Agriculture.....and the Cuban gov't sent inspectors from there up here to look over loads of potatoes as they were put on ships. Naturally, my Dad invited his counterparts to dine with us.....

Damn, no politics discussed..

Good thing, Dad was a sweet man, largely unpolitical, but when you scraped the surface.... hard core right wing...lol

Oh, and BTW, notice they had both claimed to be veterans.......of the revolutionary side......trusted men, do you think???