Winter officially begins in our neck of the woods.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Floor pan eight inches from the road on a twelve inch curbside slush bank. Are you up to lifting a car out of its parking place?

Snow IS an oddity out there ain't it? ;-)

What would be an oddity is a twelve inch slush bank....whatever that is. I always have good tires and I usually carry a bag of sand and a shovel. I've spent Winters in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and B.C.. I try not to get myself in situations where I'm likely to get stuck. Nanaimo is probably one of the most kindly places in Canada for Winter drivers.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What would be an oddity is a twelve inch slush bank....whatever that is. I always have good tires and I usually carry a bag of sand and a shovel. I've spent Winters in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and B.C.. I try not to get myself in situations where I'm likely to get stuck. Nanaimo is probably one of the most kindly places in Canada for Winter drivers.
Not so odd if the snowplow has to raise its blade at driveways.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not so odd if the snowplow has to raise its blade at driveways.

Be good if they did raise the blade at the driveways but they don't.. I can drive through the pile the snowplow leaves at the end of the driveway but the poor guy on the other side of the street has to shovel the sidewalk under threat of fine and the plow comes by three times a day. If I had my way they would give the snowplow driver a shovel.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Be good if they did raise the blade at the driveways but they don't.. I can drive through the pile the snowplow leaves at the end of the driveway but the poor guy on the other side of the street has to shovel the sidewalk under threat of fine and the plow comes by three times a day. If I had my way they would give the snowplow driver a shovel.

I'm gonna be less popular than a roomful of rocking chairs is to a long-tailed cat, but having been the "evil-doer" behind that plow blade on too many sleepless nights, I can't get out and clear out every driveway the snow off my wing fills. Sorry, but it's got to go somewhere, and snow just naturally seeks to get away. Your open drive, along with 20 million others in this Great White North is the place it runs. We could stay off the roads ... but then you would too. Again, on behalf of plow operators everywhere, Sorry about that.

Talk about your deja vu....:lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Three times a day? I've seen a Grader on my street (with his blade down)
once in the last six years. Usually they tool up my street with their blade
about two feet up so that it's no where near the snow. I always wanted my
street plowed, even once, until it happened. Yeah.....it was one of those,
"careful what you wish for" situations.

Before:

...and After:

.....and After I dug out a hole to park my car in:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you look close in the first pic I posted above, you can see the tread
from one of the Graders that usually tool up my street with the blade
up....

I've learned that it's much easier to replace my muffler every second
year than to try and remove that pile that freezes into one large lump
of ice in no time at all...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quoting lone wolf I'm gonna be less popular than a roomful of rocking chairs is to a long-tailed cat, but having been the "evil-doer" behind that plow blade on too many sleepless nights, I can't get out and clear out every driveway the snow off my wing fills. Sorry, but it's got to go somewhere, and snow just naturally seeks to get away. Your open drive, along with 20 million others in this Great White North is the place it runs. We could stay off the roads ... but then you would too. Again, on behalf of plow operators everywhere, Sorry about that.
Talk about your deja vu....:lol:

I live in Nanaimo. Not Sudbury or Edmonton or Yellowknife. About three days ago we got four or five inches of snow. VanIsle lives in Nanaimo as well and she reported two or three inches. We didn't need the snowplows for this light snow The rain took away most of the snow by the end of the day. We don't need snowplows for most light snowfalls for that very reason, but we get them anyway. Hell Nanaimo even closed the schools because of the snow.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In all fairness to Toronto, the city bases its snow removal budgets on previous years. Following several consecutive years of scanty snow, Toronto got cocky and didn't have enough equipment for the three fast storms and the metre of snowfall it got.

Ten years before, when I was plowing in North York, we paraded Metro Works plows and loaders into Buffalo for the same reason

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Three times a day? I've seen a Grader on my street (with his blade down)
once in the last six years. Usually they tool up my street with their blade
about two feet up so that it's no where near the snow. I always wanted my
street plowed, even once, until it happened. Yeah.....it was one of those,
"careful what you wish for" situations.

Before:

...and After:

.....and After I dug out a hole to park my car in:

I remember last year when all that snow fell in Vancouver ( Christmas Time ) and I could barely pull out of my driveway. They plowed the parking lot of my Strata and I was in the same boat as you Ron, as I came home to a driveway full of packed snow wishing I would have left well enough alone..

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I remember last year when all that snow fell in Vancouver ( Christmas Time ) and I could barely pull out of my driveway. They plowed the parking lot of my Strata and I was in the same boat as you Ron, as I came home to a driveway full of packed snow wishing I would have left well enough alone..

Prority #1-clean the road,school bus routes are top priority,graders arent cheap to run and if you knew how many "personal" requests they get for special treatment on driveways you would be amazed.

You can do one pass down a city or town block in under a minute,factor in all the requests to clean driveways and add another 20 minutes,then dont bitch when your taxes go up.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You don't get how the precedent is the safety of the road? And that if you want individual entrances cleaned, you're welcome to petition and get your taxes raised to pay for the extra equipment and man time? I'm pretty sure you get all that just fine juan.

You west coasters sound like a bunch of whiners. :canada:
I don't think you understand how it is here Karrie. The City does not pay anyone to clean the public sidewalks. People have to walk on the plowed pavement because the snow on the sidewalks is too deep for the brief time we have it. That is pretty dangerous walking. Like Juan says, it would be better to either leave it or throw down a little salt. We had about 6 or 7 inches of snow by bedtime last Monday night. By 7:30 Tues. A.M. the rain had taken that down to about 3 inches. The ridiculous local schoolboad closed all schools except for the University and 17,000 students plus the teachers all got the day off. No one was having difficulty getting around town. The only left over snow is that which was plowed into a big pile. When we look at the forecast and see "rain" we don't do something foolish like shovel the driveway. Some of our neighbours did. They have snow down the sides of their yards. We don't have any.
This city does not have enough snow equipment and has to hire anyone they can if we get dumped on like last year. The snow came on almost exactly the same day a year ago but it stayed until the end of December. We are going to have a green Christmas and with some luck, maybe even a pinch of sun either the day before or the day after. As always, that is subject to change but there is no snow in the forecast so far. If you could see how they pile the snow due to their lack of experience in clearing it, you woud have quite the laugh. In large mall parking lots they pile it all up in the middle rather than on the fringe and it stays forever. I have an idea where Juan lives (not the exact address by any means) and I know that they roar through there with their plows too frequently as it is a school bus route. (school wasn't in). They are so foolish in regard to how they remove snow that at the school where my grandkids go - they used the handi-capped parking space to pile all the snow. The school principal had to have a sign erected about 5 feet off the ground so they would not fill our parking place with snow when we pick the kids up. It's not easy to get a wheelchair through snow as it is. By this time last year, the snow budget was already spent. That gives you an idea of how much prep they do for snow removal. I would hazard a guess that most people here don't have a pair of winter boots in their closet.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Prority #1-clean the road,school bus routes are top priority,graders arent cheap to run and if you knew how many "personal" requests they get for special treatment on driveways you would be amazed.

You can do one pass down a city or town block in under a minute,factor in all the requests to clean driveways and add another 20 minutes,then dont bitch when your taxes go up.
They don't have to clean driveways - just lift the blade so they don't block them either. As I said earlier, that's what the grader driver in PG did.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Karrie that is just baloney. We are talking about Nanaimo, not Edmonton where you have freezing temperatures for five months of the year. It doesn't make Nanaimo streets safer to plow crusted snow and ice onto my driveway. It would make more sense to spread a bit of salt and sand. It is going to rain the following day or two anyway. Plowing a three foot barrier across my driveway is as unnecessary and stupid as plowing that three foot swath of snow onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street and expecting the private citizens to clean it up for the second or third time in a day or face a fine. A little respect and reason would solve this easily. It wouldn't cost a lot to lift the snowplow blade at each driveway. Hell, the four or five inches of snow we got three days ago is gone because it has rained for three days. Why inconvenience people without good reason?

That's right Juan, makes sense to me too. We got the snowfall about 3 days ago,
snow plough came by and cleaned the road, we just pushed a strip, to walk to and
from our car, and right now, one wouldn't even know it had snowed, the rain took
it away, poof, we have our mild weather back, and snow is gone.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Our township uses snowploughs on trucks vs. graders and are very very quick to clear the roads. Most of the township is rural, so it's more or less straight running for them, and they do a good job. :)canada:YAY twp. guys)

Woe betide the fool who shovels or scoops or blows his driveway too soon, for he will soon again do the end.............and the plows can leave some big banks:angry3:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think you understand how it is here Karrie. The City does not pay anyone to clean the public sidewalks. People have to walk on the plowed pavement because the snow on the sidewalks is too deep for the brief time we have it. That is pretty dangerous walking.

Yeah, I know what that's like. It sounds like most cities' snow plowing. The only place it differs seems to be in the perceived 'need' for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Karrie that is just baloney. We are talking about Nanaimo, not Edmonton where you have freezing temperatures for five months of the year. It doesn't make Nanaimo streets safer to plow crusted snow and ice onto my driveway. It would make more sense to spread a bit of salt and sand. It is going to rain the following day or two anyway. Plowing a three foot barrier across my driveway is as unnecessary and stupid as plowing that three foot swath of snow onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street and expecting the private citizens to clean it up for the second or third time in a day or face a fine. A little respect and reason would solve this easily. It wouldn't cost a lot to lift the snowplow blade at each driveway. Hell, the four or five inches of snow we got three days ago is gone because it has rained for three days. Why inconvenience people without good reason?

I think the worst criticism I have is the windrow left at the driveway entrance when they plow the roads. Unfortunately there is no practical way to eliminate it except for shovelling it out yourself. One other little annoyance is people who won't shovel the sidewalk in front of their house. I realize there are elderly people who can't do it, but that's no excuse for their able bodied neighbours not doing it for them. (but then this isn't 1959 either)

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
They don't have to clean driveways - just lift the blade so they don't block them either. As I said earlier, that's what the grader driver in PG did.

It may not seem like a big deal to the peeps on the ground but it's very time consuming to do a proper job(scrape to pavement) if you have to start changing the pitch and angle of your blade for every driveway.
Plus when you lift your blade the snow left behind causes you to spin out as graders make their own traction and whatevers left after the blade gos over is what they have to drive on.
A heavy windrow will slide a grader all over the place,thats why the front wheels lean and the machine articulates in the middle,to counter the load.
When you see one plowing their probably maxxed out with what they are moving,you need speed and momentum to keep the windrow moving,graders are terrible when it comes to traction.