Winter officially begins in our neck of the woods.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Chinook weather. I watched a Doc on Alta's Chinooks called "The Snow-Eater", a name given to the phenomena by natives. Chinook winds carry such power that wind turbines have to be shut down and dust storms can close down highways for a time. Time-lapse photography was used, which graphically illustrated why 'snow-eater' is such an apt name. In less than a two hour period all the snow in a meadow, which looked to be about two feet deep, simply melted away. Chinooks even have their own particular cloud formation too, though I cannot remember the name given to it.

Quite true it being named snow eater but thats mostly at the edge of the rockys,in the mountains it usually means big snow dump but in rare cases it can rain.The clouds are awesome but I think your thinking of the chinook arch.

I live right in the chinook belt and one of the windiest parts of the country.
The wind turbines allways shut down when the wind hits a certain speed as a safety precaution.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'd take the snowy weather over the apparent thaw we have coming.

I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

I'm afraid we prefer our precipitation in liquid form. Our driveway from the house to the street is about seventy feet. On just one of the occasions last winter when we had a foot of snow dumped on us, it took me over two hours to clear the driveway. About the time I got finished, the wonderful city snowplow came by and left a three foot high wall of wet snow and ice across the end of the driveway. I just loved them for that..
We had some "improvements" to our street last Summer when they put in a new water main and a new storm sewer as well as new pavement and a new sidewalk on the other side of the road.....The city has informed people on the other side of the road that they are responsible for keeping the sidewalk clear of snow where it runs in front of their property and that there would be a fine for not keeping it clear.
When the city snowplows come by, guess where the snow ends up? I'll tell you. The city snowplow leaves the great long pile of snow right on the sidewalk.
If I had just finished clearing that damn sidewalk and the plow filled it up again, I might want to do something irrational.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm afraid we prefer our precipitation in liquid form. Our driveway from the house to the street is about seventy feet. On just one of the occasions last winter when we had a foot of snow dumped on us, it took me over two hours to clear the driveway. About the time I got finished, the wonderful city snowplow came by and left a three foot high wall of wet snow and ice across the end of the driveway. I just loved them for that..
We had some "improvements" to our street last Summer when they put in a new water main and a new storm sewer as well as new pavement and a new sidewalk on the other side of the road.....The city has informed people on the other side of the road that they are responsible for keeping the sidewalk clear of snow where it runs in front of their property and that there would be a fine for not keeping it clear.
When the city snowplows come by, guess where the snow ends up? I'll tell you. The city snowplow leaves the great long pile of snow right on the sidewalk.
If I had just finished clearing that damn sidewalk and the plow filled it up again, I might want to do something irrational.
There was a article in the paper Juan saying that all property owners were responsible for the snow in front of their homes. I'd like to know exactly what the city is responsibe for. They don't know how to use snow plows here in the first place. It's the only place I have lived that they don't even know how or where to pile snow in place like the Woodgrove Shopping Centre. The street in front of where I live is obviously a place the city needs to clear and they don't clear any. I think they should be sued and one day when someone gets killed for walking on the road instead of the snowy sidewalk, they will get sued and they will have to clear them. Apparently a Duncan woman (pedestrian) was killed about 2.5 hours ago but I don't know if that is the kind of reason or not. Yesterday, a couple of young fellows were walking by the front of the house(s) on the road because the sidewalk was full of very very wet snow and a van came by, without slowing down and just soaked one of the guys. Not nice and not necessary. You can phone Public Works and put in a complaint if they are blocking you in like that. When we lived in Prince George, the guy was super nice. He woud lift his blade at every driveway. Took him a little longer but it was truly appreciated.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There was a article in the paper Juan saying that all property owners were responsible for the snow in front of their homes. I'd like to know exactly what the city is responsibe for. They don't know how to use snow plows here in the first place. It's the only place I have lived that they don't even know how or where to pile snow in place like the Woodgrove Shopping Centre. The street in front of where I live is obviously a place the city needs to clear and they don't clear any. I think they should be sued and one day when someone gets killed for walking on the road instead of the snowy sidewalk, they will get sued and they will have to clear them. Apparently a Duncan woman (pedestrian) was killed about 2.5 hours ago but I don't know if that is the kind of reason or not. Yesterday, a couple of young fellows were walking by the front of the house(s) on the road because the sidewalk was full of very very wet snow and a van came by, without slowing down and just soaked one of the guys. Not nice and not necessary. You can phone Public Works and put in a complaint if they are blocking you in like that. When we lived in Prince George, the guy was super nice. He woud lift his blade at every driveway. Took him a little longer but it was truly appreciated.

VanIsle I don't like shoveling snow that naturally falls on my driveway but I will do it because we occasionally need to get in and out of our driveway. I would even shovel the sidewalk if we had one.......What I don't understand is how the city can dig up the wet snow and ice from the street and put it wherever they like, and private citizens are responsible for cleaning up the mess.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
VanIsle I don't like shoveling snow that naturally falls on my driveway but I will do it because we occasionally need to get in and out of our driveway. I would even shovel the sidewalk if we had one.......What I don't understand is how the city can dig up the wet snow and ice from the street and put it wherever they like, and private citizens are responsible for cleaning up the mess.

You don't get how the precedent is the safety of the road? And that if you want individual entrances cleaned, you're welcome to petition and get your taxes raised to pay for the extra equipment and man time? I'm pretty sure you get all that just fine juan.

You west coasters sound like a bunch of whiners. :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You don't get how the precedent is the safety of the road? And that if you want individual entrances cleaned, you're welcome to petition and get your taxes raised to pay for the extra equipment and man time? I'm pretty sure you get all that just fine juan.

You west coasters sound like a bunch of whiners. :canada:

Karrie that is just baloney. We are talking about Nanaimo, not Edmonton where you have freezing temperatures for five months of the year. It doesn't make Nanaimo streets safer to plow crusted snow and ice onto my driveway. It would make more sense to spread a bit of salt and sand. It is going to rain the following day or two anyway. Plowing a three foot barrier across my driveway is as unnecessary and stupid as plowing that three foot swath of snow onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street and expecting the private citizens to clean it up for the second or third time in a day or face a fine. A little respect and reason would solve this easily. It wouldn't cost a lot to lift the snowplow blade at each driveway. Hell, the four or five inches of snow we got three days ago is gone because it has rained for three days. Why inconvenience people without good reason?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here in snow country it's easy to find a twelve-year-old with a shovel willing to make a few bucks

I have offered twenty dollars but so far no takers.. When I was twelve my whole paper route didn't make me twenty dollars a month.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We have about a decimeter of the stuff here. We drive throught the stuff at the end of driveway. If we get much more, though, I'll run around with the tractor for a while.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I have offered twenty dollars but so far no takers.. When I was twelve my whole paper route didn't make me twenty dollars a month.

Really?
I can get a bobcat to clear my driveway for $20.00 if he's in the area and you could park 5 motorhomes in it.

My paper route never made me as much as selling Regal cards and the other crap they had in the catalogue.;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
. It is going to rain the following day or two anyway.... Why inconvenience people without good reason?

But that's the way you see it. The problem is the first person who gets stuck on a slush filled street will phone and rip the city a new one because the streets they pay taxes on aren't clean.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

yeah, but, people who let their kids wander the neighbourhood and work for random people are few and far between now... they have been conditioned to believe that anyone offering money to children has a basement dungeon awaiting their precious Timmy. Thank the media!

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

When I was twelve, I don't think the denominations went that high! :lol::lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
yeah, but, people who let their kids wander the neighbourhood and work for random people are few and far between now... they have been conditioned to believe that anyone offering money to children has a basement dungeon awaiting their precious Timmy. Thank the media!

Which is another vote for small town living! :cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Which is another vote for small town living! :cool:

You don't even want to hear the horror stories I have from social worker friends in Sask who work in the small towns. You'd never leave your house, let alone allow a child to walk alone in this world.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Denominations? You didn't use clams and pretty rocks? ;)

Clams were in short supply on the prairies. Rocks we had, but not many pretty ones. Dried buffalo pies were the easiest forms of currency to obtain and use. Size really counted back then - a 10" pie was worth an hour of snow shovelling. Those pies came to be used as fuel for that "new" invention - fire! :lol:
Which proves that the innovative people of the prairies actually invented fire. :lol::lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
You don't even want to hear the horror stories I have from social worker friends in Sask who work in the small towns. You'd never leave your house, let alone allow a child to walk alone in this world.

Sheesh, another piece of a good lifestyle gone.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
But that's the way you see it. The problem is the first person who gets stuck on a slush filled street will phone and rip the city a new one because the streets they pay taxes on aren't clean.

If you get stuck in slush on a city street, you deserve to get stuck.