What's Michael Moore been up to?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Lemme ask you.... If the expression was figurative, and it completely understood, then why add-in the disclaimer at the end?

Wouldn't that be redundant?

Is your beef with how he structures his sentence then?

Look, I don't for a second believe he meant it seriously, or literally I should say, and I don't think any sane person would either. I think he was making a joke, not necessarily a good one, but a joke none the less.

Tell ya what, maybe you can answer the question that I posed earlier.... Would it be OK to yell "FIRE - figuratively speaking" in a crowded theater?

It would be stupid to yell that because that makes no sense.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Lemme ask you.... If the expression was figurative, and it completely understood, then why add-in the disclaimer at the end?

Tell ya what, maybe you can answer the question that I posed earlier.... Would it be OK to yell "FIRE - figuratively speaking" in a crowded theater?

Hey, the troll is back!

How's tricks?
Bullying women, Cap; so unlike you!

Mind you, they've handled you quite easily.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

apples and oranges. No soldier, or anyone else, who's read his article is going to punch someone out. They're smarter than that. if they read far enough to hit that sentence, they'd have read the whole thing, not cherry picked a quote out of context.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Is your beef with how he structures his sentence then?

His sentence was quite clear.... He provided his permission to punch people that feigned support for the troops.

Look, I don't for a second believe he meant it seriously, or literally I should say, and I don't think any sane person would either. I think he was making a joke, not necessarily a good one, but a joke none the less.

Tell ya what, would it make a difference if he provided his permission to assassinate folks that feigned support for the troops?

Shouldn't make a difference right, because he can qualify it by saying 'figuratively speaking'

It would be stupid to yell that because that makes no sense.

How does someone 'figuratively' punch someone?... Herein lies one of the underlying problems with Moore's commentary.

Mind you, they've handled you quite easily.

What? No pics to add to the troll?

Shame on you Spade... Shame

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Why so angry, Captain?
Is it because
A. Moore was right about the Iraq war?
B. He pointed out that institutional greed was behind the sub-prime meltdown?
C. He advocates socialized medicine?
D. You have been shown to be the weaker sex?
E. All of the above?

Your hate on is showing captain. You really shouldn't wear spandex when you are angry.
But pampers...

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Your hate on is showing captain. You really shouldn't wear spandex when you are angry.

Why so angry, Captain?
Is it because
A. Moore was right about the Iraq war?
B. He pointed out that institutional greed was behind the sub-prime meltdown?
C. He advocates socialized medicine?
D. You have been shown to be the weaker sex?
E. All of the above?

F. None of the above

But pampers...

Very interesting here... Cliffy with his fascination with Spandex and cousin Spade with a diaper fixation.

Sounds like you 2 have some wild parties in the privacy of Cliffy's trailer..... Nice remote location too, no one hears the man-ecstasy ringing from within... Say, does that make you kissin' cousins?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Context is entirely subjective.

Would Moore's comment have been equally acceptable in your eyes if he had provided his permission to punch or assault the President?

Again you're comparing apples to oranges. Debate, argument, and discussion actually have colloquial comparison to bouts, rounds, sparring. so when you say 'figuratively punch them out', there's actually some basis there.

But to try to apply it to a specific person, in the specific manner that suits you, no, likely would not be acceptable.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The smart soldiers quickly realize in the theatre of war that it was propaganda that put them in harms way after that they are just trying to survive to complete their missions and their service to their country.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
F. None of the above

Very interesting here... Cliffy with his fascination with Spandex and cousin Spade with a diaper fixation.

Sounds like you 2 have some wild parties in the privacy of Cliffy's trailer..... Nice remote location too, no one hears the man-ecstasy ringing from within... Say, does that make you kissin' cousins?
I was going to correct Spade, that he should have used Depends instead of pampers, but in view of your childish response, I think he correctly assessed the situation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

There's no bullying. I get the point he's trying to make, I just don't agree with it.

His sentence was quite clear.... He provided his permission to punch people that feigned support for the troops.

At the end of several paragraphs where he stated, over and over, that people who purport to support the troops (and he included himself) really only pay lip service to it. Like Karrie said, it's a common euphemism for debate and discourse

Tell ya what, would it make a difference if he provided his permission to assassinate folks that feigned support for the troops?

Shouldn't make a difference right, because he can qualify it by saying 'figuratively speaking'

Let me put it to you this way. You and I are talking one day and I'm telling you all the problems my teenager is causing these days. I'm rolling my eyes, I'm making casual jokes about it, they did this, they did that, you wouldn't believe the problems they're causing and I finish off with telling you that I just got a call from the school principal, again, they didn't show up at school.

So then I say "Love to stay and chat some more but I need to go home and strangle my firstborn, figuratively speaking of course."

Are you going to call the authorities and report a murder about to happen?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Um,
1. Who gives a crap what Moore says?
2. Everyone that pays taxes in the States supports the troops.
3. People join the military for all kinds of reasons, not just to "save lives and defend the country". For instance, to get education and job training, to get some action, to avoid prison, to play "hero", etc.
4. "I support you, and will try to do more to be there for you. And the best way you can support me -- and the ideals our country says it believes in -- is to get out of the military as soon as you can and never look back." But Moore forgot to say, "..... and to spend lots of dough on my movies and crap so I can get richer".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Um,
1. Who gives a crap what Moore says?
2. Everyone that pays taxes in the States supports the troops.
3. People join the military for all kinds of reasons, not just to "save lives and defend the country". For instance, to get education and job training, to get some action, to avoid prison, to play "hero", etc.
4. "I support you, and will try to do more to be there for you. And the best way you can support me -- and the ideals our country says it believes in -- is to get out of the military as soon as you can and never look back." But Moore forgot to say, "..... and to spend lots of dough on my movies and crap so I can get richer".

5. Figure the uniform will enhance their "love life"!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Again you're comparing apples to oranges.

Context is highly dependent on subjective interpretation, is it not?.. That's the part of this argument that undermines your position.

Debate, argument, and discussion actually have colloquial comparison to bouts, rounds, sparring. so when you say 'figuratively punch them out', there's actually some basis there.

"you have my permission to punch their lights out (figuratively speaking, of course)."

I get the colloquial euphemism, but his comment can also be taken at face value, can it not? Moore left that barn door wide open

That said, how does one figuratively punch someone's lights out?

But to try to apply it to a specific person, in the specific manner that suits you, no, likely would not be acceptable.

I don't see how this supports your position. Moore's suggestion singles out all people that feign to support the troops.

Fact is, by simply altering one small element in that sentence and preserving the underlying principle that Moore espoused, you now suggest that the comment is unappropriate.... It is or it isn't;

I was going to correct Spade, that he should have used Depends instead of pampers, but in view of your childish response, I think he correctly assessed the situation.

... But the spandex comment was the height of maturity?

Typical

There's no bullying. I get the point he's trying to make, I just don't agree with it.

At the end of several paragraphs where he stated, over and over, that people who purport to support the troops (and he included himself) really only pay lip service to it. Like Karrie said, it's a common euphemism for debate and discourse

Let me put it to you this way. You and I are talking one day and I'm telling you all the problems my teenager is causing these days. I'm rolling my eyes, I'm making casual jokes about it, they did this, they did that, you wouldn't believe the problems they're causing and I finish off with telling you that I just got a call from the school principal, again, they didn't show up at school.

So then I say "Love to stay and chat some more but I need to go home and strangle my firstborn, figuratively speaking of course."

Are you going to call the authorities and report a murder about to happen?

Change your scenario from a first person iteration of what I'm going to do with "I suggest that all first borns be strangled"... Now, take that statement and publish it with the MSM.

A little different now, isn't it