What the Hell is Going on in London?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

No banker bashing but tossing a 10 year old in jail is just fine?

Well, you can't throw ten year olds in jail, true enough.

But why was he on the street?

Bets on whether his father is around?

What he NEEDS is a father to kick his arse hard.

What the state CAN do is punish his parents for their incompetence..........intervention is called for, and if things don't improve, this kid can be removed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You can't force a man to be a dad if mom has custody. I agree that a majority of the time kid's without dad's around tend to be the ones who end up getting in trouble. My old man would have kicked my ass if I even considered leaving the house during a riot even if it was to get the mail.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My dad would kick my ass whether I deserved it or not, just in case I was thinking of doing something he didn't approve of. What he did accomplish was that I turned into a rebel and have no respect for authority. The only reason I never got myself in trouble and kept out of jail was the thought of having to shack up with Bubba.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bah, everyone is bringing out their favourite peeve and grumbling about how things aren't what they used to be.

I imagine those who study social sciences are getting their grant proposals ready.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Yeah right. The wonderful US myth of rugged individualism has worked so wonderfully well in that country. That is why there are never any disturbances like those in Britain in the USA. BTW ever study the economic systems used in the Scandinavian democracies? Looks like the the so called nanny state works well enough there.

Yeah yeah ... individualism, democracies ... yeah :D

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My dad would kick my ass whether I deserved it or not, just in case I was thinking of doing something he didn't approve of. What he did accomplish was that I turned into a rebel and have no respect for authority. The only reason I never got myself in trouble and kept out of jail was the thought of having to shack up with Bubba.

yeah, the bubba situation, not too comfortable a feeling

the kick his ass thing is such a backward reaction to your children. My husband went thru that over and
over, till he didn't care about it at all, just get it over with, then I will continue going my own way
whether you like it or not, he was never a bad kid, just wanted to play sports, and the immigrant
parents hated that, and he didn't stop playing sports, which he loved, sneaked out,
was given skates and other stuff by other people and grew up to be a good player
of multiple sports and a good person.

The kick your ass reaction only 'works' on kids who are fearful, but they will grow up to resent
that treatment, and who knows how they will react then.

Those kinds of parents didn't have the ability to 'think' with authority and constructive teaching.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Laughed out loud at this.......but a strong vein of truth through it.........

More like a strong vein of idiocy.

Unless, of course, there is no crime in Texas, in which case he has a point.

Americans wouldn't riot anyway, it's a different culture. It has nothing to do with police having guns. It has more to do with the fact that Americans don't believe in doing anything as a collective, whether it's rioting or funding healthcare. Crime in the US is more of an individual thing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
More like a strong vein of idiocy.

Unless, of course, there is no crime in Texas, in which case he has a point.

Americans wouldn't riot anyway, it's a different culture. It has nothing to do with police having guns. It has more to do with the fact that Americans don't believe in doing anything as a collective, whether it's rioting or funding healthcare. Crime in the US is more of an individual thing.

The "different culture" is the entire point of the article..................not idiotic at all, he is making exactly the same point you do.....:)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The ones that the left love to derogatorily call "teabaggers" can sure accomplish things as a collective without burning buildings or causing mayhem.....;-)

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Laughed out loud at this.......but a strong vein of truth through it.........

Hey, Stupid UK: Let Your Cops and Fair Citizens Carry Guns!

Considering that the murder rate in Texas is three times that of the British Isles perhaps the vein you are referring to is well up the writer's bum.

I will admit that the crime rate in Britain is higher than that of most of the US, but is that due to a lack of firearms or is it more due to other social factors like high unemployment, the British class system (which still exists) and social inequality that has been there for centuries?