What the Hell is Going on in London?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
True. Lots of oversensitivity towards justified American criticism .

absolutely. I have to wonder what the REAL FEAR is . Why can't some handle the justifie critique and discuss ways that things can be changed into a more favorable image.

It almost feels like what a dictatorship would be. In that kind of gov't folks don't dare criticize their "dear leader" and gov't so they resent others for doing it and insist that everyone buy into the party line......er "official story"

Something big has happened in the US.......as it does not have the freedoms it claims to have.

the other thing that comes through loud and clear. Americans are TERRIFIED. They are quickly losing their bearings. Probably because the truths are beginning to penetrate the shield of denial they have surrounded themselves with while self glorifying themselves to themselves.

We are at a true crossroads.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Seems to me hijacking threads is a violation of TOS too. England isn't the US. Glass houses?

yes it is.&

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It just proves a nanny state doesn't work..

Yeah right. The wonderful US myth of rugged individualism has worked so wonderfully well in that country. That is why there are never any disturbances like those in Britain in the USA. BTW ever study the economic systems used in the Scandinavian democracies? Looks like the the so called nanny state works well enough there.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah right. The wonderful US myth of rugged individualism has worked so wonderfully well in that country. That is why there are never any disturbances like those in Britain in the USA. BTW ever study the economic systems used in the Scandinavian democracies? Looks like the the so called nanny state works well enough there.

The USA has been the most powerful nation on earth for well over a century.....they are the world's largest economy, they are by far the world's greatest military power, they are leaders in technology, medicine, space exploration, and they are one of the freest democracies on earth.

Yep, seems to me that "wonderful US myth of rugged individualism has worked so wonderfully well"

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The USA has been the most powerful nation on earth for well over a century.....they are the world's largest economy, they are by far the world's greatest military power, they are leaders in technology, medicine, space exploration, and they are one of the freest democracies on earth.

Yep, seems to me that "wonderful US myth of rugged individualism has worked so wonderfully well"
Then how come it is crashing down around their ears? They got so high on their greatness that they over extended their reach, kinda like Hitler did by going into Russia. Now they are going broke from all that rugged individualism.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Then how come it is crashing down around their ears? They got so high on their greatness that they over extended their reach, kinda like Hitler did by going into Russia. Now they are going broke from all that rugged individualism.

No, they are going broke because the "rugged individualism" is rapidly losing ground to the Nanny State that just can't face up to the fact that it can not afford "guns and butter".......and if you're top dog world cop, you HAVE to afford guns.........

In other words, they've got to stop paying cowboys to make poetry, idiots to make poop art, farmers not to grow food, and politicians to distribute pork.........

And yes, they have to raise taxes too......

They need to go back to rugged individualism..........they need to channel some TR.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

You've got to be kidding. The USA believes it is the most powerful nation on the planet yesterday, today and tomorrow. What they believe is never going to change. Reality is different. Technology (blackberry = Canadian), medicine (robotic neurosurgery = Canadian), space exploration (the CanadArm) and economic status in the USA is no longer AAA. Canada is AAA. As for Democracy, Bush introduced the most intrusive measures ever by implementing a new law (the name of which eludes me at the moment) enabling the government to snoop everything from telephone to computer without a search warrant or notification to the person being intruded on. The loss of rights is astounding, but the sheeple in the USA agree to the loss of basic human rights in the name of fighting terrorism.

I suppose that as long as that individualism means it's okay to carry a concealed weapon, everyone is happy.

Sooooooooo, back to London. How about those social media riots attended by people age 9 and up.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

The USA is only the most powerful nation on Earth by virtue of the facts her factories were intact when the world woke up

1930s-40s in Color - a set on Flickr

and had people who were fit enough to work them.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
The USA is trying to quietly invade Canada by insisting that the Northern waters, in some cases connecting Inuit people to Canada, are international territories ... meaning the USA can use scavenging rights to extract minerals in Canadian waters. No water in Canada is international water ... only on the outside of the country, not cutting off Islands and granting Russia a chunk of territory.

The USA is weak right now. Financial corruption has bankrupted the country. The USA has Canada and France attacking Libya ... perhaps because it is oil rich ... while all the other countries that had an uprising at the same time were not attacked. For example, Egypt was left alone, so was Italy ... but Libya has oil, like Iraq. Is the USA still thinking that an attack in the middle east will result in control of those lands? It ain't gonna happen. Never.

I don't like to say this ... but regarding the riots, I got the impression that grampa came to England 50 years ago and he was looked after, he had a son that was looked after, and his son's son was part of the London riots. They have half an understanding of the laws and object to a radical interpretation. The interviews have left me thinking that England has a lot to do in terms of developing pride in the English culture. There seems to be an expectation of being looked after even if no one does anything to support themselves ... don't read books, don't read the paper, don't pay attention ... blindly believe whatever they hear and react.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
'We have got to avoid simplistic answers. There's a debate some people are starting: is it culture, is it poverty and lack of opportunity? It's probably both.'

Milliband is accurate. Calling them just barbarians is nothing but 'futile rhetoric' as Russel Brand put it in his brilliant article.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005