What are Canada's biggest problems?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Our biggest problem is we have no vision as a country and no visionary leadership. All the
plans are made to last the next three years. It takes two years to gear up and the priority
has changed by then. We need some serious leadership in government in opposition and
in the ranks of the smaller parties. There were days when the Liberals and Conservatives
had raging battles going on, yet they both had visionary leadership. At the same time the
NDP claimed the social moral ground and used its limited power to ensure progress. All
of that is gone. All the major parties are more interested in themselves talk than standing
for what Canadians want. Once we have some vision, we can actually set some goals
en route to some success.

Yep, we need members in parliament who listen to the needs of the people more and kowtowing to the leader less.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
A number of concerns have been listed by other posters. I can find no fault with any of them, especially those who pointed out the lack of vision of Canada's political leaders. During the Trudeau era one of Trudeau's aids referred to the 10 provincial premiers as a bunch of "Kiwanis presidents". Without wishing to insult Kiwanis members I would have to agree with him. Most provincial leaders and elected members of the federal government are poorly equipped to deals with 21st Century realities.

In addition to the lack of vision pointed out by DG there is an almost complete lack of long range planning. Ask almost any Canadian politician what sort of future he envisions for his country or province and he doesn't have a clue. As a result we are forced to endure ad hoc planing and knee jerk reactions to crises that could have been avoided. This is where Canada lags far behind countries like Sweden, China, Singapore, and a few others which actually have well developed goals that they work toward. Making things up as you go along just doesn't work very well, nor does an almost complete lack of foresight and planning work very well. This is clearly seen in countries like the US and Canada which continue to fall behind other nations in economic, social, and technical planning. It is about time these nations began to look at what works well in other nations instead of continuing to blunder along with a mindless dependence on the market system.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Not on the list, but household debt is trending in a worrying direction.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not on the list, but household debt is trending in a worrying direction.

That one is especially troubling as it is an indication that people aren't even learning how to manage money on the domestic level and of course the banks/finance companies are abetting the situation. Guess it does come under the heading of the economy.

Herbert

Nov 17, 2010
Australia
I don't live in Canada, but I think your #1 problem is the cold winters.

I'm hoping for you guys that the faddish hysteria of 'Global Warming' turns out to be true, and Canada gradually becomes a semi-tropical paradise and holiday destination for those seeking a suntan on golden beaches beneath a blazing sun... and that's just in the winter season...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

I'm hoping for you guys that the faddish hysteria of 'Global Warming' turns out to be true, and Canada gradually becomes a semi-tropical paradise and holiday destination for those seeking a suntan on golden beaches beneath a blazing sun... and that's just in the winter season...
I'm giving this a thumbs up. Welcome.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

So, you hope we can add extinctions/extirpations of cold water fishes like trout, walleye, salmon, and charr to name just a few, to our problems? We don't have enough already? How much money will it cost to build highways in the North with permafrost gone? Which do you choose, drinking water for Calgary or water for agricultural irrigation districts with no more glaciers? Global warming presents a whole slew of problems, on top of the other pressing issues we already face....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Global warming is a myth. A new ice age would be a far bigger concern. Might have to buy a snow shovel.Thats why we live on Vancouver Island, about as warm as you can get in winter and still speak english.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tonnington said:
So, you hope we can add extinctions/extirpations of cold water fishes like trout, walleye, salmon, and charr to name just a few, to our problems?
Agriculture was killing them anyway. Have you figured out how to fertilize without salts yet?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Agriculture was killing them anyway.

In some water sheds. Near tropical temperatures in winter in Canada will wipe nearly all cold water fish. There may be a few isolated pockets where they can eek out a living, but most will be gone. For some people, that's not a desirable outcome...

A new ice age would be a far bigger concern.

That is a myth.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In some water sheds. Near tropical temperatures in winter in Canada will wipe nearly all cold water fish. There may be a few isolated pockets where they can eek out a living, but most will be gone. For some people, that's not a desirable outcome...

That is a myth.
According to some indigenous peoples, the last ice age was caused by the Earth flipping on its axis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Earth is starting to tilt, with the North Pole migrating toward the south by several hundred miles in the past 20 - 30 years. At some point that migration will hit a critical point at which the migration will speed up, putting us in the south. This will undoubtedly cause a massive die off amoung other disasters. I am looking forward to the warmer climate, though.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pike & pickerel would have bass for friends now? Salmonids have never really done well in the agri areas anyway except in the rivers,besides it's not going to get that tropical anyway unless you somehow manage to change photo insolence like the magnetic insolence is changing and causing us this grief.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Global warming is a myth. A new ice age would be a far bigger concern. Might have to buy a snow shovel.Thats why we live on Vancouver Island, about as warm as you can get in winter and still speak english.

I think Miami is a tad warmer. :lol: