What are Canada's biggest problems?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you ever want a side of beef for $2.30lb inc. cutting and wrapping let me know. They'll be ready in Sept.

30 years ago I would have, but we aren't big meat eaters any more, I'll cut 2 or 3 oz. off a steak and that's enough for me- just enough to get the vitamin B 12.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Even with it just down to two of us here now we'll still get a side. We both have big families and do a lot of hosting of family dinners for B-days and holidays etc. It'll still save me money and I'm damn cheap so it's a match made in beef heaven.

Canada's biggest problem? You gotta go to the airport to buy No.1 grade maple syrup and it'll run you about $2.00 a pancake.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Layoffs in Potash? Would you like a job in potash? There is around a 1000 of them available.

Yes and as soon as demand falls they lay off everyone to keep market prices high. Greed.

So what you are saying is gold has pretty well kept pace with inflation? Sounds reasonable.

Inflation is in fact our paper money becoming worthless.

So yah Gold takes more money to buy every year since money every year inflates (loses worth)

Everyone thinks its prices going up but in fact its the the whole opposite. your money is becoming worthless.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quote: Originally Posted by petros
Layoffs in Potash? Would you like a job in potash? There is around a 1000 of them available.

Yes and as soon as demand falls they lay off everyone to keep market prices high. Greed.

Really? How do you get a drop in global crop production big enough to halt 4 potash (soon 6) competeing companies from exporting to nations that rely on CDN fertilizer. Did I mention 4 new mines are being built right now as we speak?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Really...

Really? How do you get a drop in global crop production big enough to halt 4 potash (soon 6) competeing companies from exporting to nations that rely on CDN fertilizer. Did I mention 4 new mines are being built right now as we speak?
Not to mention the new tech coming out of South America, making potash a big ticket item right now and for the foreseeable future.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It always has been a big ticket item but it's getting massive.
Yep, with no signs of slowing.

I'm actually thinking of a move.

Got any contacts out there? Know anyone looking for welders?

Not to mention, them Sask Bucks is big deer. I gotta get me one of them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are you afraid of deep holes? Got your Red Seal?
No and yes, along with my Common Core. I worked in mining before. Contract mining though. But I wouldn't mind a mining gig where I can locate myself nearby in a real rural setting.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

When it just started to get real big some years ago I remember stories of people getting layoff so companies could protect the rising prices.

With competition that could have fixed the problem by now.

Potash Corp. extends layoff of 940 workers - Business - CBC News
Potash Corp. plans 800 more layoffs - Business - CBC News

There is a extended list of article about layoff's from Potash Corps's
Here are 2 of them.

They know the demand is there but to keep prices from falling in off peak farming period they stop operation instead of stockpiling.
Its Greed. If this has changed from 2009 then I'm really happy for it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did the other potash companies cut production too? How many did SPC keep on during the sales short fall? How many did Mosaic lay off? Western?

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
It would be interesting what people would come up with in priortising the following from most to least urgent.
1. Environment
2. Unemployment
3. Crime
4. Healthcare
5. Immigration
6. Homelessness
7. Illegal Drugs
8. Other concerns

8 Other concerns.

The radio active fallout from the Fukushima disaster has contaminated most of the Northern Hemisphere radiation. the main area to be concerned with is the Vancouver area as it was first hit and it rains there so much the radiation was drawn from the skys in higher concentrations. I also saw a map that showed Calgary as a potential 'hot spot' because of it's ongoing cloud seeding program to prevent violent hail storms.

But, after a year the entire Northern Hemisphere is under a blanket of the radiation, as the Fukushima area is still spewing radiation into the atmosphere. The Arctic region is also an area of concentration, but at least few people live there and no food is grown there. Fukushima should have been encased in cement, the same as Chernobyl was.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Is it time to take another look at Canada's biggest problems? Have any on the previous list disappeared or at least become less urgent. Have others cropped up (besides Rob Ford that is)?