Warning: World Oil Supplies Running Out Fast

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm sure they have the room, what they lack is the volume of traffic that would warrant the cost of twin lanes.
This isn't the prairies or Vancouver or Toronto. Unless you want to float a highway, you'd better be willing to blast rock in order to make another lane. You haven't seen the lineups for the ferries here stretching a mile down the highway after the parking lots fill up. Or sat in the 15th vehicle behind some tourist who never sees the 50 or 60 vehicles behind him that don't seem to have anything else to do than follow him along the highway at a snail's pace on a day where the temperature is in the high 30s. lol Turn on your airconditioning and watch your radiator throw a tantrum. Get some flatlander over here and they go like raped apes down the straight ways, and crawl around any minor curve in the road. So you can't pass them on a corner, and you can't pass them after they floor it on the straightaways. If you get lucky, they pull off for a gutbomb or gas. Then the next thing you know is they're rocketing past you on the straightaways again and dawdling around corners in front of you while the teenager behind you has almost tractor beamed his front bumper to your back bumper at a distance of 2 meters. Or the lady in front of you with a minivan full of kids is tailgating the highboy trailer (the same level as the bottom of her windshield) of the semi in front of her.
While all that is going on there are a couple miles of traffic behind some other discourteous doorknob going in the other direction so if you do find a dotted line to pass on, it's useless.
Get the idea?

What does a sign that reads 'slower traffic keep to the right except for passing' indicate?
It indicates to me just what it says. To a lot of other people, it might as well not say anything because they don't read it. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It is speculators who raise the prices by a nickle every long weekend or raise prices by a dime to fund refineries and pipelines?

Wow. Who knew?
lol Personally I think it's a combination of speculators causing fluctuations in the prices of barrels, OPECs messing with their end, oil companies messing with their little section of the market and refining, and the fueling stations trying to gouge people.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
About Peak Oil and the Malthusian Misconception of Resource Depletion

By: trudy
Tags: SCIENCE/HEALTH/CLIMATE/NATURE
Just as Peak Oil plays into the hands of manipulative speculators and beneficiaries of fossil fuel, so too can it be used by the champions of unilateral wars and military adventures, as it implies that war power and military strength are key to access or control of the “shrinking” or “soon-to-be-shrinking” oil. It thus provides fodder for the cannons of war profiteering militarists who are constantly on the look out to invent new enemies and find new pretexts for continued war and escalation of military spending—that is, for the looting of the national treasury, or public money....
About Peak Oil and the Malthusian Misconception of Resource Depletion « Time to Think

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
August 3, 2009

The Recurring Myth of Peak Oil

In case you missed it

By ISMAEL HOSSEIN-ZADEH
October 1, 2008

The Peak Oil theory maintains that world production of conventional oil will soon reach a maximum, or peak, and decline thereafter, with grave socio-economic consequences. Some proponents of the theory argue that world oil production has already peaked, and is now in a terminal decline [1]. Although, on the face of it, this sounds like a fairly reasonable proposition, it has been challenged on both theoretical and empirical grounds. While some critics have called it a myth, others have branded it as a money-making scam promoted by the business interests that are vested in the fossil fuel industry, in the business of war and militarism, and in the Wall Street financial giants that are engaged in manipulative oil speculation.
Regardless of its validity (or lack thereof), the fact is that Peak Oil has had significant policy and political implications. It has also generated considerable reactions among various interest groups and political activists.
While environmental and similar activists have used Peak Oil to promote more vigorous conservation and more energetic pursuit of alternative fuels, the oil industry and its representatives in and out of the government have taken advantage of Peak Oil to argue in support of unrestrained extraction of oil and expanded drillingin the offshore or wildlife regions.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Sheer BS. There is lots of untapped oil off the West coast, just that the Federal government put a moratorium on exploration about 30 years ago under the guise of environmental protection but it was more to keep B.C. from becoming too independent.. There are other areas that have never been explored as well.

Stop BC from becoming more independent? I don't think so.

There is some oil off the west coast, but the environmental movement and aboriginal treaties got in the way, the govt of the day didnt have the political strength to force drilling. We didn't need it then, and we could really need it in five years or so. It will be nice to have it for useful things, not fuelling SUVs.

Do you live in BC taxslave?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm not suggesting anyone purposely prints propaganda. I just believe we are being fed a larger bowl of it than is real. Maybe I'm wrong and the "talk" is wrong. I don't have time to search out proof (or a lack thereof)right now. Even though we have a rainy weekend predicted - we're going camping for the weekend so - I'm out of here for a couple of days.:smile:

Things are a bit more doomsday oriented these days I will admit, but we need oil for so much for so many things.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Things are a bit more doomsday oriented these days I will admit, but we need oil for so much for so many things.
Yes we do but we still need to get around and it will be a very very long time before even 50% of cars on the road don't need gasoline. I had a brother-in-law who worked in the oil business. I believe he was called a landman. He did and had done several studies into where the oil was in Canada. He had miles of pages as to where the best oil is but the company he worked for had not paid him for his research. In his last days of work, he worked under contract rather than as a regular employee. When he started working under contract was when he had the studies done or did them himself. He died about 10 yrs. ago. All the info is still in his house and "unseen" by anyone else. He told his wife that should the company come looking for it - they had to pay to get it as it was his. They probably never realized how much he had and all he told us was that there is a lot of oil out there. He lived in Calgary and he came to BC often to make land purchases. Information ready and waiting that probably no one will ever see.
BTW - (anyone)regarding the "fast lane" and the "slow lane" - the speed limit is the same in both lanes of course but - not everyone can or wants to do the speed limit. If you are towing a trailer or something like it or if you are driving a semi, you should be over in the slow lane. Some folks just never seem to get that. It's like the miserable people that slow right down to a crawl so they won't have to stop at the red light and then while they roll slowly on through it, they have blocked several cars making a right hand turn along with allowing less cars through the light because everyone behind them are either in a lane they cannot get out of making the line considerably longer than it needed to be or they are stuck behind someone who wants to make the turn and cannot get out of the way.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's like the miserable people that slow right down to a crawl so they won't have to stop at the red light and then while they roll slowly on through it, they have blocked several cars making a right hand turn along with allowing less cars through the light because everyone behind them are either in a lane they cannot get out of making the line considerably longer than it needed to be or they are stuck behind someone who wants to make the turn and cannot get out of the way.

If I'm not making a right turn I'm blocking anyone behind me from making a right turn whether I screech to a stop at the light or sneak up to the intersection at a clutch-saving crawl. I'm starting to understand why some jurisdictions have outlawed the right turn on a red signal....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
" It's like the miserable people that slow right down to a crawl so they won't have to stop at the red light and then while they roll slowly on through it, they have blocked several cars making a right hand turn along with allowing less cars through the light because everyone behind them are either in a lane they cannot get out of making the line considerably longer than it needed to be or they are stuck behind someone who wants to make the turn and cannot get out of the way."-

I don't quite follow the reasoning there, I do it all the time just to save on both brakes and gas and I haven't to my knowledge prevented anyone from making a right turn............if the light is red I sure can't see any reason to be speeding up to it just to have to slam on the brakes.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If I'm not making a right turn I'm blocking anyone behind me from making a right turn whether I screech to a stop at the light or sneak up to the intersection at a clutch-saving crawl. I'm starting to understand why some jurisdictions have outlawed the right turn on a red signal....
I wasn't clear. I mean they are stopping people from turning onto the off ramp for the right turn. That is what happens a lot where I live and it's quite annoying. There is really only about enough room for the number of cars the light will allow through and that means those of us who need to turn right cannot do so therefore we fill a lane of traffic when we could have moved over to the right lane and let the other cars pass us. I'm referring to the old Island Hwy. where if I turned too soon, I would drive into the ditch.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wasn't clear. I mean they are stopping people from turning onto the off ramp for the right turn. That is what happens a lot where I live and it's quite annoying. There is really only about enough room for the number of cars the light will allow through and that means those of us who need to turn right cannot do so therefore we fill a lane of traffic when we could have moved over to the right lane and let the other cars pass us. I'm referring to the old Island Hwy. where if I turned too soon, I would drive into the ditch.

I'm getting the sense that it's high time people just slowed down, not just their travelling speed but their whole attitude toward that part of life. Calgary is terrible that way, especially when trying to pull into a lane to the right, no one will hesitate for the two seconds it takes to let you in. What is the panic? What is preventing people from leaving home two minutes earlier just to save themselves a whole lot of frayed nerves and white knuckles? It's no wonder so many people are on the virge of nervous breakdowns and heart attacks and strokes, not to mention the hazards they are creating for other people while being an accident looking for a place to happen.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No oil means no plastic. Hooray for no plastic!

Petros, I remember in the 70s, I was considering going into Polymer Research, but I wasn’t sure. They were saying oil would run out by 2002 or 2003, and there won’t be any polymers left to research. Finally I did decide to do my PhD in polymer physics, but I did wonder if I was entering a dying field.

Ironically, by 2002, there were plenty of polymers left for research, but I had left the field, I had entered Information Technology by then.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The natural gas industry seem so beaten down, sure, it's a fossil fuel, but different from oil. In the US on TV the had this woman walking around and saying how great natural gas is. This was dismal PR. Some serious articles and documentaries by the media about natural gas are required to get the public up to speed on this issue. Fossil fuels are not inherently wicked.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petros, I remember in the 70s, I was considering going into Polymer Research, but I wasn’t sure. They were saying oil would run out by 2002 or 2003, and there won’t be any polymers left to research. Finally I did decide to do my PhD in polymer physics, but I did wonder if I was entering a dying field.

Ironically, by 2002, there were plenty of polymers left for research, but I had left the field, I had entered Information Technology by then.
I figure the bio-plastics developed by Henry Ford are finally going to seeing daylight again after nylon put them in the "closet of lost and forgotten better ideas".

Ford was one of the most underrated innovators and environmentalists of the 20th century.