U.S. war deserter, mother of 3 must leave Canada

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That is not what the Nuremberg trials concluded. You quack without knowledge on this issue.

If a soldier is given an order, he has to obey otherwise he could face court martial. It is a bit of a catch 22 if you belong to one of the armies that could be on the losing end. But I think you can bet that American and Israeli forces will never see the inside of a Nuremberg court. Both have been getting away with murder for 60 years.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Let's see... the guy is a conscientious objector who refused to go back to Iraq and came to Canada and is trying to get Canadians to support conscientious objectors. This woman we are talking about is a conscientious objector. I think the clip is perfectly on topic.

I understand the guys position. I'm just not sure why it's relevant. There are members of NAMBLA who probably would have a problem if we extradited child molesters. So what?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Marine Smack-Oh sure...that is the first thing we are ordered to do...kill the women and children!--you are flying a Canadian Flag -your passport is USA or Canadian?

Don't know why it shows a Canadian flag...I have it set as an American flag in my preferences. It has been an American flag since I became a member.

If you notice that everyone has a Canadian flag inside of a thread. The only place a prefered flag shows is on the forum home page. However, you're not very clever and I wouldn't think that you would pick up on that.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The US supports Israel slaughtering women and children, in some cases knowingly, so they are guilty by association. It's not rocket science we're discussing here, it is war and war is hell. Only the insane participate and support such garbage.

By that thinking Canada supports it as well as they supported the killing of 800,000 Rwandans.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Yeah it is kind of touchy. It all depends on how secretive she can keep her past life. You are not physically branded but in any background check for any job Dishonorable Discharge is going to stick out. If she goes to live in her hometown everyone will know who she is and I am sure there are plenty of Vets. I personally have only met one man who had a Dishonorable Discharge...he was hanging drywall.

Do you think she could get back into Canada? I would doubt that she could as they are deporting her to begin with. She will be applying as a felon. I do not think that will get to far with your immigration.

Regardless in which of the two countries she serves her time, she will be a convicted felon. As such, it don't matter where whe winds up, in Canada or the US, regardless, her rights should and will be restricted afterwards. For instance, she should not be able to own a firearm under her convicted felon status. Serves her right, you sign up for the armed forces, you need to live up to your agreement.

Reactions: EagleSmack

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Update:

U.S. war resister gets temporary stay of removal
U.S. war resister gets temporary stay of removal

A U.S. war resister scheduled to be deported from Canada on Tuesday has been granted a temporary stay of removal by the Federal Court.

Kimberly Rivera, reportedly the first U.S. female war deserter seeking asylum in Canada, has been living in Toronto with her husband and children since 2007. She arrived in the country from Texas with her husband and two children. She gave birth to a third child in November.

Supporters had hoped immigration officials would allow Rivera to stay in Canada because her youngest daughter, Katie Marie, was born in Canada.

But the Canada Border Services Agency overturned her appeal and ordered her to leave Canada by Jan. 27.

The Federal Court told Rivera's lawyer last Friday that she would be granted a temporary stay of removal while the court decides whether to hear her case, said Ken Marciniec of the War Resisters Support Campaign.

The Federal Court ruled the decision to deport Rivera breached procedural fairness and failed to take into account the needs and best interests of the Rivera children and is now considering whether to hear a full appeal.

Marciniec said he doesn't know how long it will take the court to decide Rivera's fate.

Rivera served in Iraq with the American military in 2006 and moved to Canada the following year after she refused deployment.

She had requested to be allowed to stay in Ontario on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Rivera told her appeal hearing earlier in January that her experience in Iraq left her emotionally scarred and unable to face another tour of duty.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well looks like she gets a stay for the time being due to her anchor baby. Eventually she will return I am sure. In my opinion she is delaying the inevitable.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well looks like she gets a stay for the time being due to her anchor baby. Eventually she will return I am sure. In my opinion she is delaying the inevitable.

Good for her. Im sure you are just dying to have her back leeching off your already fragile social system :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Good for her. Im sure you are just dying to have her back leeching off your already fragile social system :)

Instead she's leeching off yours.

And you're right Zzarch... I am just dying to have her back leeching off my fragile social system... that is EXACTLY what I was thinking... you're so intuitive.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Whatever the law decides to do with her..stay or return home, is good enough for me.The Senior Lawmakers are so wise and sober that we shouldn't try to influence them:roll:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Why does everyone hate my sense of humour? Since the good old days of shooting deserters is long past,why should her small problems bother you.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Someday we will post about her being taken into custody as we have with the others like Robin Long. The luster is wearing out and they are coming home slowly but surely.