U.S. soldier kills up to 16 Afghan civilians

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Agree 100%. This was not an act of war but of murder. Therefore, the alleged attacker should be before an Afghan court.

exactly........and the crime was committed on Afghan soil.

Something else to think about: Given that the US has established precidence in sending a kill / assassination team to kill OBL ...and not even in Afghanistan.(let alone on US soil and without even presenting solid evidence of his crime)........, it stands to form that the Afghans could send a kill team of their own and assassinate the criminal that committed this atrocity. And they would be perfectly entitled to do so now.

Does the USG ever THINK about what it does and the ramifications each action has and could have??

The Afghans are justifiably enraged.

Seems that the camp this killer was from has a very nasty history of misconduct , and some of the atrocities are being listed on CNN news (TV). Many of the troops from this camp have committed suicide.

Interesting how the media over plays gossip stories and avoids real hard news like above that could influence the decision makers aka warmongers.

How many more atrocities do they have to committ before the US gets it?? It just cannot learn from its mistakes. and keeps repeating them over and over .......and then tries to minimize them under the cover of war is nasty business. So , if they KNOW that.....why are they so gung ho to start them. ???

Has this protracted mess made a dent in the terrorist issue?? Or has it increased the anger at the US to enhance the probability of more terrorism. A vicious cycle is in place now.....IS the thirst for revenge been satiated by these wars and mass killings?? It is more likely that it has backfired big time.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If that was true, then the story would have broke as:

"16 militants killed during raid"
....Cache of weapons discovered and safely destroyed. Soldier's actions prevents jihadist suicide attacks

Then the person responsible would have been decorated for bravery. That's normally the way the US reports US soldiers going on a rampage murdering innocent civilians. Since this came out as a murder, I suspect the other soldiers feel this guy crossed a line of some sort. Otherwise they would have covered his ass.

The same dude did both? The way you put it, yep. But the Haditha case isn't news now. This case is. The news topic is about the Afghan murders of 9 kids and 6 others perped by this dude....

This case won't be news either in a very short time. Its already dropping off the media radar. I give it 2 more days and then that's it. This event will be forgotten just like Haditha.

This soldier will not be held accountable for his crime. He will get a light slap on the wrist, just like the soldiers who murdered a toddler, 7 children, 3 women, a 76 year old in a wheel chair and 12 others in Haditha.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I see.... So, only your perspective counts here, eh and that is the final word.

How quaint.
What is quaint is this response. If I didn't think you had a right to your opinion I would have told you to STFU. Not that I could ever comprehend how your mind twists things around to come up with such silly responses, but I'm sure Freud would have a field day inside your head.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah, sure Cliffy.

Let me ask you a question on the Khadr thing... Exactly what was this Canadian boy defending in Afghanistan?

Not sure if this came up - US troops burned the Koran in error - Lots of people killed.

US Soldier kills 16 - none killed so far.

It is clear what is more important and valued in that society.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Are you against capital punishment?

I'm not in principle against capital punishment, so if it were a Canadian soldier my view and the governemnt's offical view would clearly be at odds. I'd say ensure a fair trial but otherwise hand him over to the Afghan courts, but the government could not allow it without first ensuring he won't receive capital punishment.

Not sure if this came up - US troops burned the Koran in error - Lots of people killed.

US Soldier kills 16 - none killed so far.

It is clear what is more important and valued in that society.

One Afghan soldier killed and a few Afghan government officials injured so far. It's just starting to sink in.

BBC News - Afghanistan militants attack Kandahar killings site

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'm not in principle against capital punishment, so if it were a Canadian soldier my view and the governemnt's offical view would clearly be at odds. I'd say ensure a fair trial but otherwise hand him over to the Afghan courts, but the government could not allow it without first ensuring he won't receive capital punishment.

One Afghan soldier killed and a few Afghan government officials injured so far. It's just starting to sink in.

BBC News - Afghanistan militants attack Kandahar killings site

I beg to differ - Pull up the time lines on the burning of the Koran and the deaths.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Khadr was defending himself while under attack. There is no comparison to this act of brutality. Your comment is just a limp dick attempt at deflecting blame.
A good chance that Khadr would have been treated better by the Afghans than by the Americans. That's not a glowing appraisal of the Afghan penal system, but a condemnation of the excessive cruelty of American detention facilities like Gitmo and other black op detention facilities (AKA torture chambers). Hundreds or possibly thousands of people have "disappeared" into this American system. Many/most detainees have suffered torture and some may have been executed.

Likely the Afghans would have treated 15 year old Khadr as a POW or a child soldier. While the food and conditions are likely worse in the Afgan penal system, I doubt the Afghans would have tortured a 15 year old. Then again....???

The Americans classified Khadr as an adult illegal combatant, (meaning they have no defined rights either as a person or a POW or in Khadr's case, as a child). The Americans subjected Khadr to various tortures, inhumane and cruel treatment.
Khadr 'torture' confessions allowed - Americas - Al Jazeera English

I don't support capital punishment or torture, but of the two, death is probably more humane than endless water boarding and sleep deprivation.

I am also against holding children to the same level of accountability as adults. I agree with retired lieutenant-general Roméo A. Dallair:

the current U.S. administration has become the first government in modern history to prosecute a former child soldier for war crimes. This unprecedented case not only risks the rule of law and due process concerning juvenile justice, it puts in peril hundreds of thousands of child soldiers to potential detention and prosecution for war crimes around the world.

In July 2002, a severely wounded 15-year-old Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen, was captured following a firefight in Afghanistan. Accused of throwing a grenade that allegedly killed an American soldier, Khadr has spent a quarter of his life detained at Guantanamo Bay. In the past eight years of detention, he has faced cruel and inhumane treatment, including the threat of rape, physical and psychological abuse, possibly torture, and survived over three years of solitary confinement.

Despite being a juvenile, Khadr was incarcerated with adult inmates and subjected to unlawful interrogation techniques that created a serious risk of physical and psychological harm. It was under these conditions, and with no legal representation, that his self-incriminatory confessions were elicited and will be used as evidence in his Guantanamo Bay trial.

Omar Khadr trial imperils all child soldiers - thestar.com

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Assuming this guy is guilty... which I believe he is... he will assuredly be found guilty in Afghan Courts. I doubt the Afghans would make that agreement. I doubt he would survive a year if they did. Also, Capital Punishment is pretty gruesome over there. I've seen murderers have their throats slit by family members. Actually sawed through.

I beg to differ - Pull up the time lines on the burning of the Koran and the deaths.

I saw that too Goober and was going to mention it. After the Koran burning the place exploded immediately.

A good chance that Khadr would have been treated better by the Afghans than by the Americans.

LMAO. Really? Do you have any clue what Afghans were doing to foreign fighters at that time? Khadr would have been killed without question.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If that was true, then the story would have broke as:

"16 militants killed during raid"
....Cache of weapons discovered and safely destroyed. Soldier's actions prevents jihadist suicide attacks

Then the person responsible would have been decorated for bravery. That's normally the way the US reports US soldiers going on a rampage murdering innocent civilians. Since this came out as a murder, I suspect the other soldiers feel this guy crossed a line of some sort. Otherwise they would have covered his ass.

This case won't be news either in a very short time. Its already dropping off the media radar. I give it 2 more days and then that's it. This event will be forgotten just like Haditha.

This soldier will not be held accountable for his crime. He will get a light slap on the wrist, just like the soldiers who murdered a toddler, 7 children, 3 women, a 76 year old in a wheel chair and 12 others in Haditha.
You are full of Shxt - about covering up.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yeah, sure Cliffy.

Let me ask you a question on the Khadr thing... Exactly what was this Canadian boy defending in Afghanistan?
He was a 15 year old kid whose father dragged him over there. Soldiers had just wiped out all his companions and were approaching to, for all he knew, to finish him off. He was wounded and he threw a grenade at the approaching soldier. I think that anybody in that situation would have done the same thing.

I'm sure that you, at age 15, were fully mature and had all your intellectual capacities fully function and that is why you can't understand how a 15 year old was just obeying his father.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He was a 15 year old kid whose father dragged him over there. Soldiers had just wiped out all his companions and were approaching to, for all he knew, to finish him off. He was wounded and he threw a grenade at the approaching soldier. I think that anybody in that situation would have done the same thing.

I'm sure that you, at age 15, were fully mature and had all your intellectual capacities fully function and that is why you can't understand how a 15 year old was just obeying his father.

And his Mother and family went along with it. Support Jihad - Not one charge laid against them. At the least it is child abuse, endangering a childs life -

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And his Mother and family went along with it. Support Jihad - Not one charge laid against them. At the least it is child abuse, endangering a childs life -
I agree. His mother should be punished. How does a public stoning sound to you?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005