U.S. automaker bailout package dies in Senate

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
yeah thats right, its much more complicated than that but that explaination is sufficient.

all of these corporate execs have skills and qualifications that union workers do not, like how to run a buisness and predicting and anticipating market dynamics. Also, it is ultimately up to stockholders to decide who the CEOs are since they own the company.

perhaps these workers would like to try their hand in entrepeneurship?

Anticipate? Hell, ever since the late sixties, all any of them had to do was watch Toyota....

Mongul

Electoral Member
Dec 1, 2008
Anticipate? Hell, ever since the late sixties, all any of them had to do was watch Toyota....

and thats why they failed, what do you think toyota's execs are doing?
If leadership fails then the whole rotten edifice collapses with it

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We need concessions from both sides. If the auto industry goes, so goes the country. I know that for a fact, as I work in Security at an automotive plant. If it closed, it would have a HUGE ripple effect on a large number of businesses around the city. If this happened to the big 3?8O It would be a catastrophe. So, these idiots need to get rid of their egos and realize that perhaps they should make a little bit less money per cheque to keep their DAMNED JOBS! Cripes!:angryfire:

I beg to differ. If the auto industry sinks, that alone does not guarantee that the country sinks. If the auto industry sinks and Canada just stands and watches, then we have a problem. But if the auto industry sinks, and we're willing to re-educate the unemployed, other industries will be attracted to cheap skilled labour. Trust me, that will be much more attractive than expensive unskilled labour! Plenty of industries could come in to replace them (e.g. telecommuniting and other internet technologies, solar power, public transit technologies such as solar-cell equipped electric buses, trains, etc.) upgrade shef's skills to cook vegetarian and other specialities. conference organizers would appreciate this skill for international conferences involving businessmen from various cultures. Provide free education in organic agriculture (some of them make a fair bit of money). think of all the new technologies we could export. So no, let's not overestimate the importance of the auto sector. It's important, but with re-training, workers could go into new industries.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The companies also need to realize that they have to stop outsourcing their work to other countries(whether that be overseas or to Mexico). If there is no work to be had in either the US or Canada, who is going to buy the product?

Heck, I called Bell Canada a while back and I got a person located in India. Yeah, that made a whole heck of a lot of sense.:roll:

What do you expect? It's cheeper there. There is only one way around this. If we expect higher salaries than people in India, we'd better be able to do things they can't do! And that means more education. No other way around it. think about it. If people around the world can choose between an expensive Canadian product and a cheaper product of the same quality from India, where' do you think they'll shop? There's but one way around this and that's to ensure we can make things they can't. So lwet's start retraining our workers now before it's to late.

This might also mean slashing all unnecessaries from the government budget, such as culutre, etc. And redirect it towards retraining. language training relating to official bilingualism would have to go too. No more cushy culture jobs in the government. the government would need to adopt a more technocratic attitude for Canada to survive.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I beg to differ. If the auto industry sinks, that alone does not guarantee that the country sinks. If the auto industry sinks and Canada just stands and watches, then we have a problem. But if the auto industry sinks, and we're willing to re-educate the unemployed, other industries will be attracted to cheap skilled labour. Trust me, that will be much more attractive than expensive unskilled labour! Plenty of industries could come in to replace them (e.g. telecommuniting and other internet technologies, solar power, public transit technologies such as solar-cell equipped electric buses, trains, etc.) upgrade shef's skills to cook vegetarian and other specialities. conference organizers would appreciate this skill for international conferences involving businessmen from various cultures. Provide free education in organic agriculture (some of them make a fair bit of money). think of all the new technologies we could export. So no, let's not overestimate the importance of the auto sector. It's important, but with re-training, workers could go into new industries.

All the retraining in the world isn't going to convince an ex-autoworker take a drop from forty bucks an hour to minimum wage - which is STILL better-paid than an Indian call centre.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Republicans thwart buyout

The bailout to the auto manufactures has been put off due to objections from the Republicans, which suits me just fine. Failed companies whose C.E.O.s are getting paid huge performances for non performance definitely shouldn't be getting Gov't bailout (bailout by the taxpayers) THAT IS OBSCENE. If Gov't feels they can help the situation by throwing money at (and I believe they can for awhile) they can subsidize the consumer by issue a cash back upon getting a receipt for purchase of a new, green, North American built vehicle. I thought the Republicans were known to be shrewd when it comes to money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
All the retraining in the world isn't going to convince an ex-autoworker take a drop from forty bucks an hour to minimum wage - which is STILL better-paid than an Indian call centre.

Without a doubt, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Sure we can have tarifs, but this won't stop other countries from shifting to India over Canada.

In a sence, it's sweet justice for their colonial history, and now they're finally catching up. In that sence, we're reaping what the British Empire (and let's not kid ourselves into thinking we didn't benefit from it) sowed.

Why should we be rich while India is poor? So let's accept that this is where we're heading no matter what we do rather than waste money fighting the inevitable.

This will mean having to cut salaries while protecting the poor, increasing spending on education, and cutting and slaching much spending in other areas, along with radical restructuring of the economy to make it as efficient as possible.

Yes, it's a bitter pill to take, but no other choice. I'd rather take the pill now than later.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And you're right. improved education won't stop a decline in salaries, but it might at least ensure that the decline stops a little sooner than otherwise. Still better than nothing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
White House calls Congress's failure 'disappointing'
U.S. automaker bailout package dies in Senate

Hope some lessons are learned from this by our own government if they ever get off their arses.

But until then....

Best news I've heard all day.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

And who is going to foot the bill for thousands upon thousands of people without a job? With tuition costing gross amounts of money, I wonder if they would rather pay to keep their house rather than pay for schooling. And the ones who have been in this industry for over 20 years? It would be easier said than done to educate them on technological studies.

It is not just the auto industry that suffers if it collapses. There are a LOT of companies that rely on it and they will collapse along with the auto industry if nothing is done.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I have seen other big industries and companies die without financial help, so why should the billionare auto giants be any different???

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I have seen other big industries and companies die without financial help, so why should the billionare auto giants be any different???

Because it is not just the auto giants that would be affected? There are a lot of companies that are tied into them.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If GM & CHRYSLER & FORD all sink, does that mean nobody will buy another
car again? There will STILL be an automotive industry, and those that haven't gone
down will have to expand to fill the void, and thus the Car Lots and Salesmen and
Parts Suppliers and Auto Haulers and so on and so forth will be selling and fixing
and hauling HONDA's and TOYOTA's and such, wouldn't they?

NASH is gone, and North America still has an auto industry, doesn't it?
AMC is gone, and North America still has an auto industry, doesn't it?
I can go on and on with the rhetorical questions above substituting in other now
defunct automobile manufacturers, but I don't think I have to, do I?

If the "Big 3" disappear, will people go back to riding horses? They'll still be buying
and driving cars, and those cars will have to be built, just not by the "Big 3." The
current employee's of the "Big 3" would have years of experience building auto's,
and whomever fills the void left by the "Big 3" will need experienced employees
to build auto's, just not GM & CHRYSLER & FORD auto's. The companies
that are currently tied to these "Big 3" will be needed to make and supply items
for whatever companies fill the void left by the "Big 3."

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
I am happy to see this take place. As an American taxpayer I resent what I think is the biggest swindle of the US taxopayer in the history of this nation. If this industry is so important why not have them go to the oil industry for a loan. If it wasn't for the auto industry the oil folks wouldn'be as wealthy as they are now. Would we be expected to support a failing tobacco industry?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Because it is not just the auto giants that would be affected? There are a lot of companies that are tied into them.

It is not so much the bailout of the Big three that is the major concern. It's the ripple effect. There is a 1-4 ratio of people who are dependant upon the auto industry (i.e. one autoworker job loss will "ripple" through to 4 other wage earners)
I am no fan of a unionized environment when it's not needed and that I believe is one of the cornerstones of the failure of the American auto industry.

The UAW is adamently against the "buyout" of older unionized workers at $28.12/hr (avg) and the hiring of younger works at ~$14/hr. Economist's say that may be able to put the US auto industry back on a par (competitively) with Kia, Nissan, Honda, etc.

So, I would say that the onus rests squarely on the UAW to make the package work

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It is not so much the bailout of the Big three that is the major concern. It's the ripple effect. There is a 1-4 ratio of people who are dependant upon the auto industry (i.e. one autoworker job loss will "ripple" through to 4 other wage earners)
I am no fan of a unionized environment when it's not needed and that I believe is one of the cornerstones of the failure of the American auto industry.

The UAW is adamently against the "buyout" of older unionized workers at $28.12/hr (avg) and the hiring of younger works at ~$14/hr. Economist's say that may be able to put the US auto industry back on a par (competitively) with Kia, Nissan, Honda, etc.

So, I would say that the onus rests squarely on the UAW to make the package work

I make around $15 an hour. I have a house, my car is paid off, and I have extra money to spend when I need it. I agree that people making almost $30/hour can afford to take a wage cut. However, it is not the wages that hurts the companies. It is the benefits packages. If those were changed it could make a huge difference.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I make around $15 an hour. I have a house, my car is paid off, and I have extra money to spend when I need it. I agree that people making almost $30/hour can afford to take a wage cut. However, it is not the wages that hurts the companies. It is the benefits packages. If those were changed it could make a huge difference.

And you can blame the unions for that... Its disgusting what the retirees from GM get.... And I would assume ford and chrysler are the same.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
And you can blame the unions for that... Its disgusting what the retirees from GM get.... And I would assume ford and chrysler are the same.

I never said the unions weren't to blame. There are lots of people from both sides that are to blame. What we need are both sides to agree to change for the betterment of everyone.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I never said the unions weren't to blame. There are lots of people from both sides that are to blame. What we need are both sides to agree to change for the betterment of everyone.

What, spend the taxpayer's money while the top executives walk away laughing with big salaries and bonuses????

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What, spend the taxpayer's money while the top executives walk away laughing with big salaries and bonuses????

No, how about punting all of said top executives on their asses without any severance or retirement packages? That is what should happen, but it probably won't.