Trumps win is major defeat for Christian Right

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You cannot reconcile the two, you cannot claim to be an accepting, love thy neighbour person, and agree with 'The Donald". At least he's not an hypocrite, he doesn't lie about it, he yells bigotries it to the world. Yea, he went to church once and he's said he owns a bible (but we all know that he stoled the book from a hotel while pretending to a young girl he would help her career), but this new so call religious fervour was all for his group of prejudice Christian's benefit (hopefully there are not a lot, man oh man)!! . I'm disappointed with these religious freaks actually, it was their job to start fear mongering that this was the ant-christ they'd been waiting for and the world was ending, again !!!
I would imagine you aren't a Trump supporter , but how do you like his competition ?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
There is something inherently paradoxical about a gun totin' Christian

but then again...
Boot Hillary?

Christians can tote guns if they have silver bullets in 'em, right?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You cannot reconcile the two, you cannot claim to be an accepting, love thy neighbour person, and agree with 'The Donald". At least he's not an hypocrite, he doesn't lie about it, he yells bigotries it to the world. Yea, he went to church once and he's said he owns a bible (but we all know that he stoled the book from a hotel while pretending to a young girl he would help her career), but this new so call religious fervour was all for his group of prejudice Christian's benefit (hopefully there are not a lot, man oh man)!! . I'm disappointed with these religious freaks actually, it was their job to start fear mongering that this was the ant-christ they'd been waiting for and the world was ending, again !!!

It is mandatory for a Republican anything to declare their Christianity, whether it is true or not. I would say that it was utter horsesh1t in the case of George Dubya, as well. He and his cronys played the Evangelical South like a tacky piano. A lot of the same dynamics are at play.

I would imagine you aren't a Trump supporter , but how do you like his competition ?

Trump, the draft-dodging, belicose, loud mouth who has so much contempt for ex-POWs and combat induced PTSD sufferers knows "all about the military" I saw a group of seventy-something year old Vietnam Vets say.

How long are you going to suspend YOUR disbelief?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It is mandatory for a Republican anything to declare their Christianity, whether it is true or not. I would say that it was utter horsesh1t in the case of George Dubya, as well. He and his cronys played the Evangelical South like a tacky piano. A lot of the same dynamics are at play.

Trump, the draft-dodging, belicose, loud mouth who has so much contempt for ex-POWs and combat induced PTSD sufferers knows "all about the military" I saw a group of seventy-something year old Vietnsm Vets say.

How long are you going to suspend YOUR disbelief?
Is there something wrong with having faith ? Is attending religious services a sign of mental instability ?
What do you think Sihk's and their Temples ? Or Muslim's and their Mosques ?
Is it just Christians you look down on , or all religious peoples ?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Is there something wrong with having faith ? Is attending religious services a sign of mental instability ?
What do you think Sihk's and their Temples ? Or Muslim's and their Mosques ?
Is it just Christians you look down on , or all religious peoples ?

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with having faith. I have a fair bit of it, myself. There is something seriously wrong with being a lying weasel about having faith and thereby hoodwinking frightened, confused and not-very-bright people, as Bush and Trump, do and have done. I'll bet that Rob Ford professed his "Christianity" somewhere to someone for his gain, too. It's the same, old story.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
hmmm, I see what you did there
you used a period instead of a question mark

a rhythm method freudian slip...?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with having faith. I have a fair bit of it, myself. There is something seriously wrong with being a lying weasel about having faith and thereby hoodwinking frightened, confused and not-very-bright people, as Bush and Trump, do and have done. I'll bet that Rob Ford professed his "Christianity" somewhere to someone for his gain, too. It's the same, old story.
Trump is not running around quoting the bible and acting saintly .

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Trump is not running around quoting the bible and acting saintly .

He does want women back in the kitchen with just enough chain to reach the bedroom so that makes him popular with the evangelicals

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Many evangelical Christian leaders, both progressive and conservative, express profound, faith-based opposition to Donald Trump.

But the reasons for our opposition mainly differ. This difference is often lost on outside observers.

Progressive evangelicals mainly worry over Donald Trump’s xenophobia and bigotry, considering these a violation of core Christian moral values. Conservative evangelicals mainly worry over Trump’s disinterest in a conservative Christian social policy agenda, also believed to be at the heart of Christian moral values. (Both worry over his character and temperament.)

One way to tell the difference between these two kinds of opposition is to consider our conflicting reactions to the departure of Ted Cruz from the presidential race.

As a progressive evangelical Christian, there was very little about Ted Cruz or his platform that appealed to me. I thought Senator Cruz was one of the most effective Christian Right/social conservative Republican candidates for president to be seen since the rise of the Christian Right in the late 1970s. The script was old; the messenger was new, and ruthlessly effective. He did much, much better than the other Christian Right candidates on offer in 2016, including Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum.

That Christian Right script is worth recalling, if only to consider its contrast to the message of Donald Trump:

here

Trump victory marks major defeat for Christian Right agenda | Religion News Service

Sorry just not seeing a downside to that.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Even though the crazed Michelle Bachmann told us Dump is God's chosen candidate for the White House, many right wing television evangelist "Christian" politicians have withdrawn their support for him:

Here's A List Of All The Trump "Unendorsements" Of The Last 24 Hours

The list of Republicans rushing to retract their endorsements of Donald Trump expanded “bigly” as the candidate might say, growing from one singer-songwriter in April to include 28 GOP congressman, Senators, Governors and former presidential nominees. It’s all documented in detail on Wikipedia as Trump’s own party races to cover their own behinds, after misleading the American public into thinking that Donald Trump was actually, somehow in any way shape or form fit to be President of the United States.

Leading the list is 2008 nominee Sen. John McCain, who really has had so many chances to unendorse Trump, but instead painfully carried water for the cruel candidate who mocked him, insisting that his “heroes don’t get captured.” Former 2016 contender Carly Fiorina whose face and looks Trump famously insulted finally noticed that the Republican nominee is horrendous.

Even Salem Radio host and MSNBC personality Hugh Hewitt finally gave up supporting this year’s Republican nominee after publicly changing his position in June once it became apparent that Trump would survive the Republican National Convention as his party’s nominee. Hewitt moderated one of the Republican primary debates earlier this year for CNN. This list of politicians who endorsed and now un-endorse sure to grow:

Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Robert J. Bentley, 53rd Governor of Alabama (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Bradley Byrne, U.S. Representative for Alabama’s 1st congressional district(retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Aaron Carter, singer (retracted Apr. 29, 2016)
Jason Chaffetz, U.S. representative for Utah’s 3rd congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Mike Crapo, U.S. Senator from Idaho(retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Rodney Davis, U.S. Representative for Illinois’s 13th congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Dennis Daugaard, Governor of South Dakota (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett Packard, former 2016 candidate for president (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Deb Fischer, U.S. Senator from Nebraska (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Jeff Fortenberry, U.S. Representative for Nevada’s 1st congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Cory Gardner, Senator from Colorado (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Cresent Hardy, U.S. Representative for Nevada’s 4th congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Joe Heck, U.S. Representative for Nevada’s 3rd congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Gary Herbert, 17th Governor of Utah (retracted Oct. 7, 2016)
Hugh Hewitt, radio host (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Jon Huntsman Jr., 16th Governor of Utah (2005–2009) (retracted Oct. 7, 2016)
John McCain, Senator from Arizona (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Lisa Murkowski, Senator from Alaska (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Tim Pawlenty, 39th Governor of Minnesota (2003–2011) (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Michael Reagan, son of the 40th President Ronald Reagan (retracted Oct. 2, 2016)
Martha Roby, U.S. Representative for Alabama’s 2nd congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Tom Rooney, U.S. Representative for Florida’s 16th congressional district (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Brian Sandoval, Governor of Nevada (retracted June 7, 2016)
Chris Stewart, U.S. Representative for Utah’s 2nd congressional district. (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
Dan Sullivan, Senator from Alaska (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
John Thune, U.S. Senator from South Dakota (retracted Oct. 8, 2016)
David Valadao, U.S. Representative from California’s 21st congressional district (retracted June 22, 2016)
Ann Wagner, U.S. Representative for Missouri’s 2nd congressional district(retracted Oct. 8, 2016)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It is better if we don't bunch up. That doesn't seem to do any other group any good during 'hard times'.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I take that back, if you look at the 'big picture' two people tagging up isn't overdoing the 'grouping up' bit. I stand corrected. Did somebody let a cold draft in??